Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

These things may not be related but the BLE is really falling apart over the past three weeks.

1) the whole stretch of track between Sugar Creek and Old Concord (formerly the fastest section of the BLE) is now all a 20mph slow zone

2) the 1/2 mile north of Tom Bunter is also now a slow zone

3) A train just limped into UNCC main 10 minutes late and was taken out of service (prob not related to tracks)

4) car drivers fudgeing up the gates when waiting to left turn on N Tryon are getting more frequent, not less. (Generally two per BLE trip, each requires a complete stop at the grade crossing)

each of these things is just a shrug in isolation, but trip times are measurably longer now.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, kermit said:

4) drivers fudgeing up the gates when waiting to left turn on N Tryon are getting more frequent, not less. (Generally two per BLE trip, each requires a complete stop at the grade crossing)

Most LRT systems don't have control gates. Wonder if CATS could just remove them, especially those near stations, where trains already run slower.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CLT704 said:

I've noticed the slow down between 25th and Parkwood, drives me mad seeing cars go past faster - the only reason I see for a slow zone is some issue where the track splits and goes into the vehicle yard, as zone as you past that section of the track the train speeds up again for all of about 10 seconds before slowing down to stop at Parkwood. I really only ride the BLE between 36th St and Uptown, I am always pleasantly surprised at how fast the OG blue line goes in South End before it makes me mad that the BLE is a piece of sh*t. 

Simple solution, don’t use it. I don’t really get into the why ask why? I don’t question the airlines who are all over the place with schedules, etc.  At the end of the day, the Safety metric is priority….it should be to everyone so if it delays, etc bother you that much, don’t use it because ain’t no way in hell operations or maintenance gonna alter that because of longer trip times.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

I think that comment was major disregard of the word PUBLIC in PUBLIC Transit. That philosophy can be applied to companies to pressure them into finding solutions for problems that the company is responsible for because they’re dependent on profits. Less use or buying of private services and goods hurts margins. Public Entities rarely care about profit as they’re tax funded, I’m not saying cut their funding although. Tax payers on the other hand have more sway in public affairs than they do over private entities. The solution to getting better transit is not to stop using it.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

No wonder you were a big fan of John Lewis. That was probably his philosophy and how he ran CATS.

:) Now I understand why you post what you post regarding Mass Transit in Charlotte.  "Simple solution; don't use it" is the most incompetent philosophy I've ever heard. And telling it to people who are probably the most reliable choice customers that could exist; UP nerds.... 

I’m a fan of common sense and not unrealistic expectations. UP Nerds or not. You can’t change frequency to compromise safety. The airlines aren’t gonna do it, why should CATs? All the hemming and hawing ain’t gonna change a thing from that standpoint, period. So, if it bothers a user that much, try other options.  I absolutely agree in improving and enhancing the user experience where it can be done. 

Until you are in the drivers seat (management), turn 3 at 180 miles an hour looks a lot different from the grandstands than behind the wheel. 

I do fascinate over these simple solutions on UP, not all are crazy, just many are idealistic and not practical. Absolutely nothing supersedes safety.

19 hours ago, JeanClt said:

I think that comment was major disregard of the word PUBLIC in PUBLIC Transit. That philosophy can be applied to companies to pressure them into finding solutions for problems that the company is responsible for because they’re dependent on profits. Less use or buying of private services and goods hurts margins. Public Entities rarely care about profit as they’re tax funded, I’m not saying cut their funding although. Tax payers on the other hand have more sway in public affairs than they do over private entities. The solution to getting better transit is not to stop using it.

Huh? Word salad.

19 hours ago, DownEast said:

Dude. Lol. "Why ask why?" Your response reeks with the carelessness of a content citizen who drowned his curiosity in a vat of Bud Dry. (Bud Dry is a registered trademark of Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis MO.)

So, you recommend increase speed and frequency without factoring in the safety component.  That’s white liquor talk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

I’m a fan of common sense and not unrealistic expectations. UP Nerds or not. You can’t change frequency to compromise safety. The airlines aren’t gonna do it, why should CATs? All the hemming and hawing ain’t gonna change a thing from that standpoint, period. So, if it bothers a user that much, try other options.  I absolutely agree in improving and enhancing the user experience where it can be done. 

Until you are in the drivers seat (management), turn 3 at 180 miles an hour looks a lot different from the grandstands than behind the wheel. 

I do fascinate over these simple solutions on UP, not all are crazy, just many are idealistic and not practical. Absolutely nothing supersedes safety.

Huh? Word salad.

So, you recommend increase speed and frequency without factoring in the safety component.  That’s white liquor talk.

Exactly what aspect of safety is being compromised?  Light rails aren't going 180 mph.  If the speed limit on 85 randomly dropped to 25 for brief stretches for no apparent reason then drivers would rightly be pissed.

As for cars crashing into gates and whatnot, frankly some people are so stupid and oblivious that being crashed into by a light rail train might be the only way to get them to pay attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Simple solution, don’t use it. I don’t really get into the why ask why? I don’t question the airlines who are all over the place with schedules, etc.  At the end of the day, the Safety metric is priority….it should be to everyone so if it delays, etc bother you that much, don’t use it because ain’t no way in hell operations or maintenance gonna alter that because of longer trip times.

Huh? Word Salad.
  • Like 2

The reason we "ask why" isn't to pointlessly complain, but to strive for solutions. I don't know what the problem or solution is any more than you do, but the city of Charlotte probably does, and seeing as it is run by public service officials, they will probably listen if their constituents are asking what is going on.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, southslider said:

BLE was designed as a heavily separated LRT, so why is it traveling so slowly?  The original line has street interaction at Scaleybark. The original line has track splits for the VMF near New Bern. What makes the train slow down in sections likd Sugar Creek to Old Concord completely free of at-grade crossings?

Apologies guys, part damn jealous as to why the Triangle has been slow to adapt to keep up. But a frequent rider when there and experience in other places. You should expect better results. 

22 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

The reason we "ask why" isn't to pointlessly complain, but to strive for solutions. I don't know what the problem or solution is any more than you do, but the city of Charlotte probably does, and seeing as it is run by public service officials, they will probably listen if their constituents are asking what is going on.

I agree 

• Like 3

On 12/10/2022 at 2:34 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Light Rail avg. weekday ridership in the US that reports to APTA (Note this is light rail only. Some of these cities have heavy rail that doesn’t count such as Cleveland, Baltimore, L.A., San Francisco, Philadelphia, Boston, & Denver) 

The metric I like to see (kind of the equivalent to "per capita") is the Average Daily Boardings Per Mile column in the List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia. To me that more indicative of how much bang for your buck your line gets. The data on the wikipedia table is pre-Covid now, but at the time CLT was #17 by that metric. I suspect we have fallen since our ridership return has been so lousy compared to other systems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Train drama on my way to work this morning. They had to reboot my northbound 200 series train at 7th st, then again at Parkwood and then the train just stopped heading up the grade at Mathesion. Driver had to walk back to the controls at the rear of the lead car to “shut off propulsion?” (perhaps the rear traction motor in the car?) Finally made it to 36th when they took the train out of service. The driver had to run it down to Old Concord to get it turned. I guess the plus side of 20 minute frequencies is this did not seem to disrupt other trains.

Edit: my replacement train had to stop at every N Tryon grade crossing because car drivers didn’t know how the gates worked. Long trip to work today.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, kermit said:

I thought I was pleasantly surprised when I walked up to E-W station this morning — the LED message board said ‘train to UNCC arriving in 5 minutes’. My reaction was enthusiastic, I thought  CATS had finally managed to use their existing resources to put countdown timers in stations like 90% of other transit systems in the country. 

Unfortunately all CATS has done is echo their sporadic voice announcements (which occur at 7,5,3 and sometimes 1 minute) on the LED board. We all know these announcements are only marginally useful (you gotta be there to hear them, sometimes traffic noise obscures them). An actual countdown timer is totally doable, provides a very different waiting psychology and can be done with current equipment. Do the right thing guys, make transit more rider friendly!

CATS is the real MVP

image.png.8489336ec6692bbd3c4710cd125ccd2b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3