Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

11 hours ago, elrodvt said:

When you don't have solutions to problems all that's left is articles like this. Same with global warming for example.

I'm going astray but I'd like to note that progressive, new, ideas to solve those problems (and others) have a really tough time in this state and most red or purple states. The disdain for experts, especially prevalent in the GOP presently, is inexplicable to me. If we can't get beyond that how will we ever solve serious problems? The experts who work on these issues need to get back to school and take a year of poly-sci and debate. Plus figure out how to get the necessary funds to fight corporate interests. Universities should take the lead and make "being an effective expert"  a mandatory part of the curriculum. Otherwise they'll continue to be drowned out by the hucksters like T. Moore. 

Love your comment about sending back for "poly=sci and debate."

Meanwhile the humanities get snubbed (wife teaches at UNCC) for STEM.   The entire board of trustees is a reflection of the anti-liberal arts programs throughout the country. Debate and how to create and defend an argument is out the window for becoming another worker bee.

• Like 2

Butt to nut on the Blue Line this evening. 
I have never seen so many elites.
People left on platform at Stonewall. The 15 minute rush hour service starting next week ain’t gonna cut it.

image.thumb.jpg.818946fdc2fcb3ca74614dad5e03772b.jpg

Man…look at all those Elites. CATS needs to start dropping that time interval ASAP.
  • Like 1

What would it actually take to upgrade the Blue Line into 3 car trains? How many stations would need upgrading, like is this something that is actually doable?

I just spent some time on Google Earth looking up and down the BL corridor. It is honestly staggering how far the density stretches, mainly between Scaleybark and Sugar Creek stations, but also connecting pockets of density far outside that in the university area and hopefully one day Ballantyne as well. I honestly believe at this point if the BL didn't exist, one could make a reasonable proposal for even heavy rail transit, or like a light metro with 4 cars or something. Since BL exists though, and given how crowded the trains are and how much this corridor will continue to grow, feels to me like we should at least be striving to add a car to these trains. Really wish the line was built with 3 car capabilities from the start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

What would it actually take to upgrade the Blue Line into 3 car trains? How many stations would need upgrading, like is this something that is actually doable?

I just spent some time on Google Earth looking up and down the BL corridor. It is honestly staggering how far the density stretches, mainly between Scaleybark and Sugar Creek stations, but also connecting pockets of density far outside that in the university area and hopefully one day Ballantyne as well. I honestly believe at this point if the BL didn't exist, one could make a reasonable proposal for even heavy rail transit, or like a light metro with 4 cars or something. Since BL exists though, and given how crowded the trains are and how much this corridor will continue to grow, feels to me like we should at least be striving to add a car to these trains. Really wish the line was built with 3 car capabilities from the start.

IIRC, only like 4 of the original BL stations have been lengthened. Stonewall, 485, Woodlawn, and maybe one other? The electrical infrastructure was upgraded to handle 3-cars as well. 

Edit: Also 7th street, which was originally the end of the line. 

Edited by tozmervo
  • Like 2

Exactly!

I go way out of my way to take transit. But when my 9 yo grandkids say let's just drive so we don't have to leave the game 10 minutes early I quit! (Yes they're precocious and listen to gpas grumbling too carefully).

And how fricking stupid is it they can't run specials when there are events? 

9 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

exactly ^^ let's not forget the promised frequency: 7 minutes.

• Like 4

On 2/2/2023 at 4:11 PM, kermit said:

1) extend platforms at 11ish stations

2) purchase more vehicles

It’s totally doable, 4ish platforms have already been extended and electrical upgrades are complete.

That said, I really don’t understand why so many people are interested in 3 car trains. It would be cheaper and easier to increase frequencies by a couple more trains an hour to get a larger capacity increase and that would attract additional riders as well. Longer trains are just an excuse to keep frequencies low.

Pre-pandemic CATS was running two car trains every 7.5 minutes at peak (16 cars per hour in each direction). If we ran 3 car trains every 15 minutes that would be 12 cars per hour in each direction, but riders would have double the wait times of our pre-pandemic service.  I really think we are better off (e.g. higher ridership and happier riders) with two car trains at high frequency.

Oh I very much agree. The top priority is getting frequencies back up - a solution to a currently existing problem that is basically immediately fixable.

I think of the 3 car train thing as more of a long-term solution to a long-term problem, which is the fact that the Blue Line corridor will continue to grow and densify at astounding rates for likely decades. And the (hopeful) possibility that Charlotte's culture gravitates more and more towards transit with time, especially for all the people living in the corridor. That could theoretically mean a LOT of ridership at some point, and I'd hate for the city to be caught lagging behind when 2 car trains AT high frequencies aren't even enough. 

• Like 2

Oh I very much agree. The top priority is getting frequencies back up - a solution to a currently existing problem that is basically immediately fixable.
I think of the 3 car train thing as more of a long-term solution to a long-term problem, which is the fact that the Blue Line corridor will continue to grow and densify at astounding rates for likely decades. And the (hopeful) possibility that Charlotte's culture gravitates more and more towards transit with time, especially for all the people living in the corridor. That could theoretically mean a LOT of ridership at some point, and I'd hate for the city to be caught lagging behind when 2 car trains AT high frequencies aren't even enough. 

If the line was all 3-car ready now it would be a good solution to accommodate more people with less conductors given their hiring issues. Frequency would reign the best solution though. The Lesser the wait the greater the convenience.
  • Like 4

Ok, serious question, don’t y’all think if they were capable, they would increase frequency?  This is clearly a current state of things that isn’t just a CATs issue…I mean  CATs is isn’t on an island when everyone else is  trying to balance staff, ridership, maintenance etc.  what do y’all know that they don’t?  

Are some of y’all in weekly, daily mtgs with key decision makers? Seriously, I’m in the energy biz, some of the crap people want is just unrealistic ..they have no idea how fragile the grid really is until something happens like this past holiday season.

I think that’s why they are extremely cautious, the unintended consequences of ramping up too quickly. it could make things worse, real fast and watch the beotching then. 

Edited by Durhamite
  • Like 1