Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Sort of hysterically funny article at the Observer about Sonny's BBQ claiming the Light Rail killed their business. My favorite laugh out loud moment though is that Sonny's claimed that the real problem was all the homeless who traveled on the light rail coming into their restrooms to bathe.

blink.gif

Does anyone really believe that homeless people would (in large numbers according to the implications of the article) travel 11 miles via light rail from Uptown just so they could use Sonny's bathrooms? Really?!

Didn't another of their franchises (not near the light rail recently close. Me thinks its not the mass transit that was the problem...

Received by email, a great "f u" from CATS to WSOC-TV

CATS Customers:

On July 14, 2011, WSOC-TV Channel 9 aired a story containing allegations from a business owner formerly located near the I-485/South Boulevard Station. The business owner stated that they moved their establishment to another location due to crime caused by transit customers using the LYNX Blue Line. Another former business in the area indicated the same reason for vacating the area near I-485 and South Boulevard. Unfortunately, WSOC-TV aired the story without any crime or statistical information for that area or those businesses.

CATS wants you to have the correct information.

The LYNX Blue Line opened November 26, 2007, and since opening, the crimes reported at the two businesses formerly located at the I-485 Station have decreased significantly.

Percentage increase/decrease in reported crimes by year

2007 250% Prior to light rail

2008 -75% Decrease from previous year

2009 -57% Decrease from previous year

2010 -67% Decrease from previous year

(Source: CMPD)

The extra focus on safety and security helped reduce crime reported at these two businesses.

The safety and security of our customers, employees and adjacent businesses is top priority for CATS. CATS maintains security at our I-485/South Boulevard Station 20-hours a day. CATS Safety & Security and CMPD also routinely patrol this location. We will maintain our efforts at the I-485/South Boulevard Station that has also helped reduce crime adjacent to our property.

Well you know that WSOC stands for We Seek Out Crime!!

Received by email, a great "f u" from CATS to WSOC-TV

CATS Customers:

On July 14, 2011, WSOC-TV Channel 9 aired a story containing allegations from a business owner formerly located near the I-485/South Boulevard Station. The business owner stated that they moved their establishment to another location due to crime caused by transit customers using the LYNX Blue Line. Another former business in the area indicated the same reason for vacating the area near I-485 and South Boulevard. Unfortunately, WSOC-TV aired the story without any crime or statistical information for that area or those businesses.

CATS wants you to have the correct information.

The LYNX Blue Line opened November 26, 2007, and since opening, the crimes reported at the two businesses formerly located at the I-485 Station have decreased significantly.

Percentage increase/decrease in reported crimes by year

2007 250% Prior to light rail

2008 -75% Decrease from previous year

2009 -57% Decrease from previous year

2010 -67% Decrease from previous year

(Source: CMPD)

The extra focus on safety and security helped reduce crime reported at these two businesses.

The safety and security of our customers, employees and adjacent businesses is top priority for CATS. CATS maintains security at our I-485/South Boulevard Station 20-hours a day. CATS Safety & Security and CMPD also routinely patrol this location. We will maintain our efforts at the I-485/South Boulevard Station that has also helped reduce crime adjacent to our property.

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting story that the DNC might make CATS move out of the Uptown Transit center during the convention. I wonder if 1 year is enough time to get some momentum to build something over at the site for Gateway Station? Sure would be nice if some DNC money helped get that project rolling.

I had a feeling the Lynx and the CTC will be an issue. The Boston DNC had similar issues but on a bigger scale since the now TD Bank Center had a several rail lines converging there. I wonder how many Lynx stations will be closed, Charlotteans would need at least one Uptown station to remain open, I think 3rd Street is far enough from TWC Arena then again if the Convention Center is being used for the DNC too...well no Lynx in Uptown.

Edited by Shawn&Zae

• 3 weeks later...

^ Here is the link: http://www.bizjourna...get-crisis.html

and the somewhat vague quote:

One key difference [speaking of cost overruns on the South line]: Design was 30% to 40% complete as budgets were set for that project, compared with the 65% expected in February, when the request for final approval is to be sent to D.C. An answer is expected in May.
Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...

^ Here is the link: http://www.bizjourna...get-crisis.html

and the somewhat vague quote:

One key difference [speaking of cost overruns on the South line]: Design was 30% to 40% complete as budgets were set for that project, compared with the 65% expected in February, when the request for final approval is to be sent to D.C. An answer is expected in May.

CATS needs to NOT be late with their request for FFGA. The current surface transportation act was extended until March 31 of next year at the current levels of transit funding. The next transportation bill may (unfortunately) be much less friendly to transit.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/prdailynews/news.asp?id=27991

^Some transportation policy blogs are reporting that Mica's bill may not honor FFGA's signed after November 2011. Let's hope CATS can either rush an Agreement this year or find some means to still be honored early next year under current New Starts project processes.

Mica's bill is also being reported as requiring future projects to have a minimum 50% non-Federal match. Fortunately, CATS had already assumed this, albeit 25% local and 25% state.

^Some transportation policy blogs are reporting that Mica's bill may not honor FFGA's signed after November 2011.

I understand the politics of this but its confusing -- I had thought the whole purpose of the FFGA was that all parties involved were obligated to pay their share and backing out of the agreement was essentially impossible. Having said that, the teabaggers have shown themselves to be very clever in impeding anything rail relate.

• 3 weeks later...

The federal funding situation for the BLE is looking better today although we can be sure of anything until the FFGA is signed.

House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman John Mica (R-Fla.) is preparing a six-year surface transportation reauthorization bill that would drop a previously proposed 30 percent cut in funding.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/prdailynews/news.asp?id=28280

I understand the politics of this but its confusing -- I had thought the whole purpose of the FFGA was that all parties involved were obligated to pay their share and backing out of the agreement was essentially impossible. Having said that, the teabaggers have shown themselves to be very clever in impeding anything rail relate.

I support the teabaggers on wasteful spending issues, however, I do not think think spending money on rail service is wasteful. I feel that this is one of the areas most important issues and feel we need to get things rolling ASAP. I don't think that all teabaggers are against everything, just mostly stupid spending issues.

Along the same video lines, Siemens came to town in the late spring and made a video about light rail and the impact it's had on Charlotte - Moving a city forward, one stop at a time:

I think it shows some good scenes of our fair city.

I was at Washington Dulles airport last month and noticed that Siemens had large poster prints advertising the Lynx Blue Line for this same campaign.