Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

• 4 weeks later...

The CIP package has been passed by the city council, so the BLE Infrastructure improvement projects have a funding path (in addition to several other projects). The funding will come from a combination of property tax increase and bond packages that will be up for vote in 2014 and beyond.

That is a relief.  The SCIP program around the South Blvd corridor was significant in changing the perception of the area as well as the usability for bikes and pedestrians setting the stage for all of the redevelopment that has occurred.

I'm sure just the like south corridor, most of the development initially will be near downtown (NoDa and [Optimist Park]) but having the rebuilt N Tryon Street and having Little Sugar Creek Greenway connected to Toby Creek Greenway at UNCC will also support the resurgence of bicycling and active lifestyles for newly increased density.  

• Like 1

The BLE construction schedule is posted. http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/projectfacts/Documents/2012%200723%20-%20BL45%20Construction%20Summary.pdf

Looks like utility relocation will continue through 2013. Roadwork and Parking deck site work is slated for 2014, as well as vehicle shed upfiting and other behind the scenes stuff. Track and catenary work looks to begin in mid-2015.

It is exciting to see progress for this line even before construction work begins in earnest.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/projectfacts/Documents/2012%200723%20-%20BL45%20Construction%20Summary.pdf

Here is the project plan, but it is still hard to tell where the demo is actually occuring.  Most of the buildings being torn down will be for park and ride lots or in the section where it runs in the Tryon median. 

I'm sure the demolition is part of the real estate acquisition process:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/Pages/BLEAlignmentMaps.aspx

From a look through the real estate maps, it seems that there really are not a lot of buildings being torn down other than for the park and ride/parking decks.  I think the only buildings torn down otherwise are near the crossing onto Tryon near Old Concord, and a few buildings near the Tom Hunter intersection that are too close to  Tryon to remain after they remake it.   Mostly, they will simply be taking land and some parking. 

As of Sunday the building that housed Nona's (along with a few other businesses) was completely gone.  The next one to go is the Honeybaked Ham Company. 

That image does not appear to be one of those retail locations, but possibly so.   Regardless, it is a great early signal of progress.

I attended some of the community meetings and they touched on this. If I remember correctly, the buildings being torn down are just Nona/Panda Express corner, and then a self storage unit place where the tracks will be entering Tryon for the first time.

EDIT: Oh yeah... and one of the strip clubs (can't remember which one) - kind of funny to think that people will eventually be waiting on a station platform where so many singles found such a creative use!!

Edited by The Escapists

Well, they're also obviously tearing down industrial warehouses are Sugar Creek and Old Concord station park and rides.  Then the gas station at Tom Hunter will go, too.

I'm sure there are other minor buildings, but certainly not a significant number, and literally nothing to mourn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny how things play out... Remember when McCrory was threatening to withhold future state money towards the BLE just a short time ago? Looks like he'll be on hand for Thursday's ground breaking of the light rail extension. Glad to finally see this start up!

http://obsdailyviews.blogspot.com/2013/07/six-months-after-threat-mccrory.html

• Like 1

Just found an interesting tidbit on the web:

FTA to review UNC Charlotte’s request to name the BLE the Green Line and provide a response

Source: Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS)
FTA Quarterly Review Meeting
9 a.m. – Noon
July 19, 2013

What strikes me as odd is the specification of "BLE".  Are they seriously considering changing the line name/color once it leaves 7th street to stops north?!

They can't be serious.   

Funny how things play out... Remember when McCrory was threatening to withhold future state money towards the BLE just a short time ago? Looks like he'll be on hand for Thursday's ground breaking of the light rail extension. Glad to finally see this start up!

http://obsdailyviews.blogspot.com/2013/07/six-months-after-threat-mccrory.html

McCrory never threatened to withhold funding. That wouldn't be in his power to do anyway. He told Foxx there was a very real chance that the council's actions may result in the Legislature withholding funds. It wasn't a threat...I think it was a warning to be careful.