Belle Meade

ATLBrain

I haven't been up there in a while, so I was struck by the progress that seems to be underway at this intersection.

Holding my judgment, but I think I'll be a tad disappointed by the Hill Center. It looks like just a bigger version of the shopping center that used to be on the site. Anyway, the intersections of Woodmont/Kenner and Harding Roads should have lots of density in the next year or so. I'm sure it will only continue to build up and out. There are already lots of condos in that area right now. Also, I had heard of a new transportation plan for that intersection a few years ago but nothing since then. It called for a bridge over Harding and several access roads to alleviate thru-traffic.

Sorry, meant to say that this article mentions the BM Town Center, Hill Center, and BM Court. I'm aware of at least three new large condo communities (one next to Warner Park) down Belle Meade Blvd. too, but don't have the details on those. Those are ultra-high end.

http://159.54.229.194/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...535/MICRO020701

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also wondering what are the plans for the existing, and very old, Belle Meade Plaza ending with Kroger. Several vacancies currently for lease. Are there plans to tear down this area and replace?

What about the Hill Center Belle Meade? Excavation work for the new Publix store and related development has been finished for some time, with no foundation work yet started.

What is the timetable for this construction and completion of this project?

What will be done with the vacant Imperial House Apts. high-rise building?

Does St. Thomas own this building and plan to tear it down?

What is going on with the old White Bridge Rd. bridge? re-surfacing, replacing, etc.?

The White Bridge/Woodmont & Harding RD interchange has to be a difficult one to solve with White Bridge RD being a bridge and Woodmont being bordered by businesses so closely (the nursery has trees and bushes for sale almost on the shoulder of Woodmont it seems!). I've wondered too why it's taking so long to get the Publix started.

I'm also wondering what are the plans for the existing, and very old, Belle Meade Plaza ending with Kroger. Several vacancies currently for lease. Are there plans to tear down this area and replace?

I don't know, but I suspect that by running out the long-time tennants like Goldies, the BMB cafeteria and the antique dealer, the owner is attempting to lease those spaces at much higher rates to improve overall property value. I think it will be up for sale in a few years.

What about the Hill Center Belle Meade? Excavation work for the new Publix store and related development has been finished for some time, with no foundation work yet started.

It was recently published that J.E. Crain will begin construction shortly, but no mention of schedule. The old opening Spring of 2008 is, of course, impossible. I think Crane replaced the contractor who dug the hole, but perhaps someone else knows more about that?

What will be done with the vacant Imperial House Apts. high-rise building?

Does St. Thomas own this building and plan to tear it down?

Yikes... I didn't know it was vacant. I always liked that building, sans the ugly air traffic controll tower/shed sitting on top.

Wow -- I'm in Houston but just couldn't resist commenting on the "very old" Belle Meade Plaza. I grew up in West Meade (Currywood Dr.) and I remember like yesterday going there probably several days in a row for their grand opening the last week of summer vacation before my sixth grade school year. Since the place was crawling with teenagers the attraction was irresistible! (School supplies was the excuse) Things were very good -- for example on their outdoor speaker system there was a sensational song played about every 20 minutes which at the time was #1 on top forty and I'm pretty sure was the biggest hit of 1961, and Everybody's Favorite. Anyone want to guess what it was? God this means I must be very, very old. BTW I was then being transferred from HG Hill to West Meade Elementary for its inaugural year.

We moved to Nashville from Atlanta summer '55 so for years I would pass by this site before the center was built. There was a lightly wooded knoll there, and when a train went by you could see the top of it. I remember being very impressed that men could move a small mountain and then put in place something that was almost as good as Green Hills Plaza but much closer! 15 or more years later (not sure since I left the last time in '75) they would add on the grocery wing, as would Green Hills Plaza gradually morph into a regional mall.

Speaking of '55 we had been in town living in a rented duplex on Love Circle only for a few days when an unknown Elvis broke with "Don't be Cruel" -- I remember walking up the street and hearing the song waft out of the window of one of those houses that back up to Love Circle west side. Spectacular introduction to Tennessee for a 5 year old from Atlanta. (Wikipedia say 1956 for this song, they're wrong)

Please check out a new article I just submitted to Wikipedia about a piece of Nashville musical history and a band I used to go hear, and saw on TV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Jones_...he_King_Casuals

And for a smaller piece of history (1967):

http://www.pbase.com/deadelvis/image/45941520

I'm on the bottom right holding an instrument like that which has a prominent solo (actually a duet with a kazoo or something) in that sensational 1961 rock & roll hit. Paul Worley is top right -- one time signer (sic) and producer of the Dixie Chicks and (I think now former) Sony Nashville president.

'scuse me for going off topic but I've been thinking a lot lately about the musical history I experienced growing up in Nashville --fabulous, fabulous -- I could go on for hours....

Things were very good -- for example on their outdoor speaker system there was a sensational song played about every 20 minutes which at the time was #1 on top forty and I'm pretty sure was the biggest hit of 1961, and Everybody's Favorite.

Just a "Token" guess because my daughters love a song from that year. I think it involves a lion sleeping tonight. :) Thanks for the trip down memory lane. You should hook up with IJDave and swap stories.

Just to be clear, I can't claim those same memories, as I'm a few years younger, but it seems we all have our favorite Nashville stories.

So, was the Kroger built in the mid-70s? Was Kroger the dominant grocer in the Nashville market before the 70s?

The present Kroger was replaced when White Bridge Road was relocated to align with Woodmont. That went through part or all of the old Kroger, which was at the Office Depot end.

There was an H.G. Hill on the corner of the old White Bridge and Harding for decades before it was torn down and relocated further back. Before Kroger, H.G.Hill was the biggest grocer, as they were interested in aquiring and holding land in the future growth areas. However, it seemed like every little commercial area had a grocery store. Familiar grocer names would be Cee Bee, Buy-Rite and Foodtown. You didn't have to travel far to shop if you lived within the WW2 Nashville boundaries.

Krogers has seemed to dominate for my lifetime, outlasting Sunflower and Food Lion. It was a fixture of the suburbs constructed from the 1950's through 1980's, usually only a short drive away. If you lived in West Meade, you had an H.G.Hills on each side, a Kroger in Belle Meade and Bellvue, and a small grocer near Sperry's. Now, Harris Teeter, Publix, Wall Mart and Target are all here to stay.

There is amazing potential for that old shopping center, but the current owners seem content on jacking up rents until no one is left. No business requiring significant fit-up expenditures (like a restaraunt) is going to relocate there either as long as there is an impression that it will be demolished and replaced sooner than later. Especially with newer diggs just down the road.

dragonfly - I was raised on West Meade Drive, not far from Currywood, which had one of the steepest hills to bike down. Love the area!

Just a "Token" guess because my daughters love a song from that year. I think it involves a lion sleeping tonight. :) Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

'Brain, you may have nailed me on that, The Tokens might have had the biggest of the year, or it could have been (out of Memphis) The Mar-Keys "Last Night" (a 'must hear' for sure - mostly high school aged future Stax-Volt session players). Or it could have been the one I was referring to by B. L. We're definitely talkin about the year's top 10 I would say. BTW did you grow up in Nashville? Looks like you live near my birthplace (St Joseph Infirmary as it was called then)

So, was the Kroger built in the mid-70s? Was Kroger the dominant grocer in the Nashville market before the 70s?

There was a Kroger near West Meade in the '50's/60's at the Hwy 70/100 split. It was in a small L-shaped strip which may still be there, on the SE side of 100 immediately past the split. There was also a barber shop in the base of the L and a real old style toy store on the SW end. Closer in, between Harding Pl and Leake Ave there was a Nelson's Cee Bee -- a slightly smaller store than the Kroger. The store between 100 and the tracks right past the split wasn't built until '73 or so. That site was unused as I was growing up. But the best grocery in the area was the Cooper & Martin (Cooper'n Martin) which shared the Belle Meade Theater center way before it was renovated and enlarged. The very day we moved from Love Circle to Currywood Dr. (winter '56) my dad and I went there for supplies. He left me in the car and I contemplated the ball-light tower over the theater from the rear parking lot.

BTW my earlier post I think was off a little on Green Hills which was called Green Hills Village (not Plaza) if I'm not mistaken.

dragonfly - I was raised on West Meade Drive, not far from Currywood, which had one of the steepest hills to bike down. Love the area!

Shuzilla -- When we moved there Currywood ended at Bresslyn and all that area beyond (Brownlee? etc.) was woods. We were 2 houses up from Robin Hill. When did you move away? I still dream about that neighborhood - one of the best in Nashville for terrain and appearance. And it was packed with baby boom kids at the time --virtually every house.

My family and I left for Chicago the summer I graduated (the summer of Jumpin Jack Flash --'68)

• 1 month later...

Tremendous progress is being made on 3 large projects in the Belle Meade section of Nashville.

The Belle Meade Court condos is shaping us to be a massive structure on a small parcel. Immediately adjacent is the Belle Meade Town Center (Harris Teeter). There are several large cranes that are visible from far away on both projects. Directly across Harding Rd. the Hill Center-Belle Meade (Publix) is finally underway with foundation work underway.

This area is becoming increasingly dense with development, and something must be done soon to alleviate the traffic issues at White Bridge Rd., Harding Rd. and Kenner Ave.

Sorry I did not have a camera to take pictures of this area. The view is particularly impressive coming from behind (down Woodlawn near Ensworth School). Perhaps someone will share photos soon.

• 3 months later...

I'm curious about the purpose of the bridge being built to extend N. Kenner Ave., basically behind the Publix campus. Is this a pedestrian bridge that will link the Richland Greenway, or is it to divert traffic from Harding directly to White Bridge. Either one would be nice.

I'm curious about the purpose of the bridge being built to extend N. Kenner Ave., basically behind the Publix campus. Is this a pedestrian bridge that will link the Richland Greenway, or is it to divert traffic from Harding directly to White Bridge. Either one would be nice.

It is certainly for pedestrian traffic and the Greenway and is basically a refurbishment of the original White Bridge Rd. crossing over the railroad tacks. It is entirely too narrow for vehicular traffic.

Tremendous progress is continuing in the Belle Meade area with work on the Hill Center Belle Meade (Publix); Belle Meade Town Center (Harris Teeter); and Belle Meade Court Condos all well underway. All three are scheduled to be completed by fall. Not sure how much progress has been made by The Manning on Woodmont Blvd. This area is becoming increasingly dense along with the associated heavy traffic on Harding Rd., Woodmont Blvd., White Bridge Rd. and around St. Thomas Hospital.

Does anyone have any knowledge of infrastructure improvements to the Harding/White Bridge area such as non-rusted streetlights, sidewalks that do not contain numerous obstacles, matching traffic signals at least in the same intersection, pedestrian crossing signals that are not sloppily wired to the nearest electric line, and some reduction of the about 50 overhead lines that run down Harding. I hate to be so negative but the city of Nashville should be ashamed at the condition of this area. It is downright horrible and certainly not befitting of one of the richest communities in America. Hopefully, but doubtfully, Nashville will improve the area in correlation with the new and substantial development in the area.

Does anyone have any knowledge of infrastructure improvements to the Harding/White Bridge area such as non-rusted streetlights, sidewalks that do not contain numerous obstacles, matching traffic signals at least in the same intersection, pedestrian crossing signals that are not sloppily wired to the nearest electric line, and some reduction of the about 50 overhead lines that run down Harding. I hate to be so negative but the city of Nashville should be ashamed at the condition of this area. It is downright horrible and certainly not befitting of one of the richest communities in America. Hopefully, but doubtfully, Nashville will improve the area in correlation with the new and substantial development in the area.

First, as far as getting rid of the unsightly overhead lifeblood lines, just think of Nashville as an exotic European city that seems a bit eccentric to an outsider but probably has a good reason for being that way, so you avoid being critical lest you get labled an Ugly American ;) .

Seriously, that intersection is not at all pedestrian friendly, but again neither is the crazy guy shouting at the top of his lungs during evening rush hour. However, once the old White's Bridge is opened for foot travel, most people walking from White Bridge Road will use it to get to the Belle Meade shopping center.

I would imagine that new, matching signalls will accompany the new road being built within the ongoing developments on each side of Harding (yay!). It should be fairly easy to walk from Ensworth to, say, Target on White Bridge Road by the time phase I of the Hill Center is complete. However, the experience of walking along Harding will probably not improve much.

If one lives on Woodmont and needs to grocery shop, your best bet will be to cut through office parking to Kenner for access the new developments (Harris-Teeter and Publix). Kroger will remain hard to access because you still have to cross Harding at the White Bridge Road intersection.

I asked the Belle Meade Office Park staff if they could get crosswalks and signals over to the Belle Meade Shopping Center (ironically, both properties are owned by the same person). I thought it might make sense that a couple of hundred people in the office buildings get an easy walk to restaurants and stores on your own property, even if the motive was strictly financial (increased traffic from the office park = higher lease rates for the shopping center). I was told they had no control over that. So, if there is someone reading this who has control over crosswalks and signals, let's get some installed, 'kay?

The City has plans to soon start the upgrade of signals and some street lighting along West End from 16th to 31st. Eventually they will get to Belle Meade, but it could be years.

Realize that there are hundreds and hundreds of traffic signals in Nashville and to upgrade one intersection could cost up to $100,000.

First, as far as getting rid of the unsightly overhead lifeblood lines, just think of Nashville as an exotic European city that seems a bit eccentric to an outsider but probably has a good reason for being that way, so you avoid being critical lest you get labled an Ugly American ;) .

Seriously, that intersection is not at all pedestrian friendly, but again neither is the crazy guy shouting at the top of his lungs during evening rush hour. However, once the old White's Bridge is opened for foot travel, most people walking from White Bridge Road will use it to get to the Belle Meade shopping center.

I would imagine that new, matching signalls will accompany the new road being built within the ongoing developments on each side of Harding (yay!). It should be fairly easy to walk from Ensworth to, say, Target on White Bridge Road by the time phase I of the Hill Center is complete. However, the experience of walking along Harding will probably not improve much.

If one lives on Woodmont and needs to grocery shop, your best bet will be to cut through office parking to Kenner for access the new developments (Harris-Teeter and Publix). Kroger will remain hard to access because you still have to cross Harding at the White Bridge Road intersection.

I asked the Belle Meade Office Park staff if they could get crosswalks and signals over to the Belle Meade Shopping Center (ironically, both properties are owned by the same person). I thought it might make sense that a couple of hundred people in the office buildings get an easy walk to restaurants and stores on your own property, even if the motive was strictly financial (increased traffic from the office park = higher lease rates for the shopping center). I was told they had no control over that. So, if there is someone reading this who has control over crosswalks and signals, let's get some installed, 'kay?

And I thought I was the only one who notices that screaming guy on Harding Road. I believe he works at the Target around the corner. I saw him trying to explain to a customer where an item was and he was scaring her. :lol:

Anyways, I can't wait until the pedestrian bridge opens up. Anyone know when it is opening? It's almost complete. One of the things I love about living in the White Bridge neighborhood is being able to walk to most amenities. Although walking to the new Hill Center and Harris Teeter from home will be a stretch for me, it would be nice to be able to go for a stroll on the greenway and simply walk to pick up my groceries nearby.

And I thought I was the only one who notices that screaming guy on Harding Road. I believe he works at the Target around the corner. I saw him trying to explain to a customer where an item was and he was scaring her. :lol:

I've always heard him referred to as "the Happy Man". :) I've seen him plenty of times walking in the area, but have never seen him at Target.

That area certainly needs some reworking... it's painful enough getting through it in a car, I can't imagine navigating it on foot! :wacko:

• 1 month later...

The Hill Center at Belle Meade (where Publix will go) is coming along. They have some metal frames up.. and surprising to me was that one building will front Harding / West End. I looked into this further, and it looks like there will be a huge parking lot between this building and the one where Publix is going (toward the back of the lot). A PDF brochure

Also.. I came across this, which apparently happened recently.. they purchased more property to be included in the project, including the Phillips 66 gas station...

Hill Center at Belle Meade expanded

The Hill Center at Belle Meade (where Publix will go) is coming along. They have some metal frames up.. and surprising to me was that one building will front Harding / West End. I looked into this further, and it looks like there will be a huge parking lot between this building and the one where Publix is going (toward the back of the lot). A PDF brochure

Also.. I came across this, which apparently happened recently.. they purchased more property to be included in the project, including the Phillips 66 gas station...

Hill Center at Belle Meade expanded

I was around that area today and was ready to post a question regarding the Phillip 66 station. Thanks for saving me the trouble. It is very exciting that the gas station will be going as that would have been quite a distraction from the new hill center. Hopefully there are plans to replace many of the old extremely outdated retail establishments in that area such as the Midas, Bank of America, etc...

And as always, I have to mention the terrible condition of the infrastructure in that area. I mean there are pay phones that wired from the overhead power lines. The cross walks, sidewalks, street lamps are all in horrible condition and the city needs to step up to the plate and do something. I know this would be expensive, but so are my property taxes and honestly, I would think the city would have a bit saved from doing absolutely nothing in that area in 30 years.

The building which houses the Bank of America should stay because it has a bit of historic charm. Perhaps the Bank of America should move somewhere else nearby so it could be refurbished and converted into something more appealing.

Although it's unlikely to happend anytime soon, I'd also like to see the Belle Meade Plaza completely revamped as well. It's an eyesore and that corner could be so much more.

^ I agree on Bank of America - it looks worth saving to me.

The infrastructure definitely needs improving.. I think that PDF mentioned something about a possible new road built to connect White Bridge & Harding - through or near the Hill Center development, I assume. Maybe if that ever gets kicked off, the city will include other improvements along with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived