Belle Meade

ATLBrain

Have you noticed that building has a bench/guardrail combo surrounding a streetside patio? Looks like some sort of restaraunt will go in at least part of it. There is a brick kneewall that has slope-moulded brick making a slight incline. Set into the side are metal standards holding natural wood bench planks. It's a nice touch.

The building you refer to is odd in that it appears to have entrances from both the parking and street sides. That also leans towards a restaraunt use.

I believe that's where Moe's is going.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I've noticed this week that the signage is up for the new Harry Teet. It denotes that the store will be the first in Nashville to be open 24hrs. Watch out Publix and Kroger.

I assume that building, which sits next to Harding, will house most of the other announced stores...

Moe

I've noticed this week that the signage is up for the new Harry Teet. It denotes that the store will be the first in Nashville to be open 24hrs. Watch out Publix and Kroger.

Oh yeah.. its on now. It will be nice to have 24hr grocery in this area.

I wonder if this will affect the other HT on the other side of Belle Meade? Probably not..

Oh yeah.. its on now. It will be nice to have 24hr grocery in this area.

I wonder if this will affect the other HT on the other side of Belle Meade? Probably not..

Is the Kroger store there in Belle Meade NOT open 24 hours? (I thought all their stores were 24/7, but have no experience with the B.M. store.)

Is the Kroger store there in Belle Meade NOT open 24 hours? (I thought all their stores were 24/7, but have no experience with the B.M. store.)

hmm.. you're right.. my bad! For some reason I thought it was only open til like 10pm.

Not all of their stores are 24/7, though. The 8th ave store is not.

Anyway.. can't wait to see Harris Teeter open!

• 1 month later...

Notes are posted on the doors of the new Moe's Southwest Grill that it will be opening tomorrow (April 9th) at 11:00 AM. Walking around the place today, I noticed that it was crowded, and they appeared to be serving food, and people were eating (even though it was indicated as closed). I assume these were employees and/or people there by invitation.

But, the grand opening to the general public is apparently tomorrow.

Notes are posted on the doors of the new Moe's Southwest Grill that it will be opening tomorrow (April 9th) at 11:00 AM. Walking around the place today, I noticed that it was crowded, and they appeared to be serving food, and people were eating (even though it was indicated as closed). I assume these were employees and/or people there by invitation.

But, the grand opening to the general public is apparently tomorrow.

Most restaurants have "soft openings" -- a day or two before the announced opening where they quietly open their doors to the public, unannounced, or have employees invite friends/family. It's a way to work out the kinks before the crowds show up -- like a full dress rehearsal. So...if there's ever a big-name restaurant coming to town that you know will be packed for weeks/months, a good tip is to show up a day in advance, and see if you can get in.

• 2 months later...

A co-worker and I took a self-guided tour a couple of weeks ago (well, we snuck in) and wow, is that place big. The tilework is both extensive and fantastic compared to any other type building I've seen. Two stories like at Hillsboro Village, glass rails like a shopping mall. Even employee spaces have windows. And the waterfalls around the parking garage are pretty neat, too. Even has a Starbucks next to the cart-o-lator with a view to the brick-and-stone wall.

Hate to be a downer, but will Kroger, Harris Teeter and Publix all survive in Belle Meade? I keep hearing about a commercial real estate implosion coming up as bad as the residential, and groceries tend to work on waffer-thin margins. Plus, where's the new population growth in this area that will support the added capacity?

Will people cozy up to the subterranean garage or will they be intimidated?

I have been in the Publx and I think they are kicking Kroger's behind. It will sure make for some interesting competition.

BTW, the staff at Publix is very customer oriented and friendly. They will go out of the way to help. Much friendlier than Kroger from what I have seen.

The new Harris Teeter is incredible (peaked thru the window) and I am very excited to see the growth in this area. I do wonder if the dilapidated infrastructure in this area can support the additional traffic volume. It is currently quite difficult to get through this area and getting in and out of Publix is a challenge. With the addition of a grocery store, bank, restaurants, wine store, clinics, etc, I see another poorly planned traffic nightmare similiar to green hills.

The new Harris Teeter is incredible (peaked thru the window) and I am very excited to see the growth in this area. I do wonder if the dilapidated infrastructure in this area can support the additional traffic volume. It is currently quite difficult to get through this area and getting in and out of Publix is difficult. With the addition of a grocery store, bank, restaurants, wine store, clinics, etc, I see another poorly planned traffic nightmare similiar to green hills.

I agree wholeheartedly about the difficulty getting into the Hill Center and Publix. It is already becoming a bit of a mess. The intersection of Harding and White Bridge is in desperate need of a makeover. There needs to be a strong push to make the area walkable so it doesn't end up like Hillsboro Pike.

And it's going to have a full service *bucks inside like the GH's Kroger. Interesting.

A note on the door says that the grand opening of the new Harris Teeter's in Belle Meade will be on July 15th.

I'm looking forward to this opening since it will be a very convenient walk from the office for me. I have to cross the street to get to the Publix, etc. from Kenner Dr. And, that crosswalk, especially on the other side where construction is still ongoing, is not pedestrian-friendly. Hopefully, they'll put in adequate sidewalks and shoulders on the road to improve that situation a bit once the Moe's strip is completed.

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a much needed vacation to Phoenix, and wanted to share some observations when comparing with the Nashville - Belle Meade area:

Phoenix:

1.) Sidewalks on both sides of roads down every major and minor roadway with beautiful and well-maintained landscape.

2.) Bikers, runners, rollerbladers all enjoying sidewalks and embracing healthy lifestyle

3.) All traffic signals and light poles mounted on steel poles with underground wiring

4.) City is involved in new shopping district development, building adequate roads, sidewalks, signals, burying power lines, etc, PRIOR to development.

5.) Modern clean updated signage, easy to read, modern flashing lights.

6.) No sign of graffiti

7.) Modern school facilities.

Nashville:

1.) No sidewalks, not even in our major shopping areas, inability to even mow public grass(weeds) regularly, no ordinance requiring property owners to maintain sidewalk (i.e. if the grass has grown so that your lawn and the sidewalk are no longer distinct entities, it is time to edge your lawn)

2.) Uh, no sidewalks. Unbelievably, the city of Belle Meade, one of the most affluent in the country and world, does not have the funds for continuous sidewalks.

3.) Stoplights dangling from ropes tied to trees, light poles mounted on utility poles or trees

4.) Can I say Belle Meade town center or Green Hills. What a mess, tangles of power lines, mismatched and rusted light poles/trees, inadequate signals, non-continuous sidewalks, overhead wires to street lights, telephone booths, traffic lights, utter neglect by the city.

5.) Signage from decades ago, filthy, crooked poles, etc. Only possibility of update if complaint lodged with Public Works as they unapologetically state they do not have the money to look for issues themselves. Might I add unsafe signage in most school zones with flashing lights clearly from the 1960's.

6.) Graffiti not removed, even after repeated complaints. For example the entrance to the Belle Meade/Richland greenway contains a truck trailer in plain view from all that pass on White Bridge covered in graffiti. Complaints to public works, NES, and council yield no results.

7.) Run-down, antiquated, broken, un-landscaped, school buildings with classrooms in trailers.

Yes, yes, I know, Phoenix is so much newer and therefore is just nicer. Well, that is simply an old tired excuse. There is a significant divide between the condition of all cities I visit and Nashville. This city is run-down and decades behind other comparable cities. This is a question of priorities and it is high time Nashville places the condition of its crumbling city infrastructure on the priority list. If that means higher taxes, so be it, although I suspect it is really a lack of concern and leadership.

^ Ouch! Well.. at least there is a little progress being made down on West End.. but I otherwise agree.

By the way.. did anyone happen to get a pic of the Belle Meade Theatre sign when it was lit up recently? I kept meaning to run over and snap one.. I actually did (I think) on my cell phone, but not the greatest.. lately I have not noticed it being lit at night.. but.. I haven't been that way in a few weeks..

I just returned from a much needed vacation to Phoenix, and wanted to share some observations when comparing with the Nashville - Belle Meade area:

Phoenix:

1.) Sidewalks on both sides of roads down every major and minor roadway with beautiful and well-maintained landscape.

2.) Bikers, runners, rollerbladers all enjoying sidewalks and embracing healthy lifestyle

3.) All traffic signals and light poles mounted on steel poles with underground wiring

4.) City is involved in new shopping district development, building adequate roads, sidewalks, signals, burying power lines, etc, PRIOR to development.

6.) No sign of graffiti

Nashville:

1.) No sidewalks, not even in our major shopping areas, inability to even mow public grass(weeds) regularly, no ordinance requiring property owners to maintain sidewalk (i.e. if the grass has grown so that your lawn and the sidewalk are no longer distinct entities, it is time to edge your lawn)

2.) Uh, no sidewalks. Unbelievably, the city of Belle Meade, one of the most affluent in the country and world, does not have the funds for continuous sidewalks.

3.) Stoplights dangling from ropes tied to trees, light poles mounted on utility poles or trees

4.) Can I say Belle Meade town center or Green Hills. What a mess, tangles of power lines, mismatched and rusted light poles/trees, inadequate signals, non-continuous sidewalks, overhead wires to street lights, telephone booths, traffic lights, utter neglect by the city.

5.) Signage from decades ago, filthy, crooked poles, etc. Only possibility of update if complaint lodged with Public Works as they unapologetically state they do not have the money to look for issues themselves. Might I add unsafe signage in most school zones with flashing lights clearly from the 1960's.

6.) Graffiti not removed, even after repeated complaints. For example the entrance to the Belle Meade/Richland greenway contains a truck trailer in plain view from all that pass on White Bridge covered in graffiti. Complaints to public works, NES, and council yield no results.

7.) Run-down, antiquated, broken, un-landscaped, school buildings with classrooms in trailers.

Yes, yes, I know, Phoenix is so much newer and therefore is just nicer. Well, that is simply an old tired excuse. There is a significant divide between the condition of all cities I visit and Nashville. This city is run-down and decades behind other comparable cities. This is a question of priorities and it is high time Nashville places the condition of its crumbling city infrastructure on the priority list. If that means higher taxes, so be it, although I suspect it is really a lack of concern and leadership.

I think most of us wholeheartedly agree. The problem is that, while most of us understand how woefully behind other our infrastructure is, most Nashvillians simply do not get it yet are willing to fight expenditures for these sort of improvements on every turn. We seem to be a "half-assed" city - big ideas but slow follow-through or none at all. I was happy to move back a few years ago but I increasingly feel improvement is slowing down here and I'm yearning to be somewhere a little bit more thirsty for progress. It's unfortunate because I really do feel like this city is much improved from where it was when I was growing up. But there seems to be a sense of complacency here that's frustrating especially when I see other cities that actually have less to offer develop smarter.

The issues about Nashville's infrastructure are well-known and have been discussed for decades. I think everyone agrees that much work needs to be done to improve these aspects of the city.

I must take issue with the the overly rosy, almost utopian view you present of Phoenix. I lived there for several years ago and can unequivocably state that there are many, many parts of Phoenix and Maricopa County that mirror Nashville's poor infrastructure. Perhaps you only visited the many high-end areas. Trust me, there are miles and miles of suburban blight with tract housing, no sidewalks and strip mall signage overpowering the streetscape. Graffitti is rampant in many areas -- far worse than in Nashville. Just because you see people running and cycling on sidewalks does not necessarily mean that the entire population is living a healthy lifestyle! Try that in 110 degree heat, lol! I only wish that all the schools were modern and well-equipped -- they have the exact same issues as Metro Nashville -- on a larger scale.

Yes, Nashville needs to make many radical improvements to its infrastructure, but to state that Nashville is "run-down and decades behind other comparable cities" is totally inaccurate.

Phoenix:

6.) No sign of graffiti

Nashville:

The issues about Nashville's infrastructure are well-known and have been discussed for decades. I think everyone agrees that much work needs to be done to improve these aspects of the city.

I must take issue with the the overly rosy, almost utopian view you present of Phoenix. I lived there for several years ago and can unequivocably state that there are many, many parts of Phoenix and Maricopa County that mirror Nashville's poor infrastructure. Perhaps you only visited the many high-end areas. Trust me, there are miles and miles of suburban blight with tract housing, no sidewalks and strip mall signage overpowering the streetscape. Graffitti is rampant in many areas -- far worse than in Nashville. Just because you see people running and cycling on sidewalks does not necessarily mean that the entire population is living a healthy lifestyle! Try that in 110 degree heat, lol! I only wish that all the schools were modern and well-equipped -- they have the exact same issues as Metro Nashville -- on a larger scale.

Yes, Nashville needs to make many radical improvements to its infrastructure, but to state that Nashville is "run-down and decades behind other comparable cities" is totally inaccurate.

I don't have first-hand knowledge of Phoenix, but I have to believe that this comparison is apples-for-apples. Yes, most cities have run-down areas with inadequate/neglected infrastructure and graffiti. But we are talking about the nicest part of Nashville Metro. While a lot of the private homes are nice, the commercial areas of Belle Meade and environs are poorly planned and even more poorly maintained.

Archived