Belle Meade

ATLBrain

^ Yes. It's sort of perplexing how the people around Belle Meade and Green Hills are so complacent about the state of the streetscapes. I know it's quite costly but I would love for Metro to commit to burying the power lines from 440 to the intersection of Harding & White Bridge and filling in the sidewalk gaps. Those two improvements alone would significantly improve the area.

BTW, I love the re-lit Belle Meade Theater sign. Not so crazy about the difficulty getting in and out of the Harris Teeter garage.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, I love the re-lit Belle Meade Theater sign. Not so crazy about the difficulty getting in and out of the Harris Teeter garage.

Agreed. I have been using the parking that is one level down.. with the cart-o-lator.. which is something I had never seen before!

• 1 month later...

For all you people out there that have watched with frustration while Nashville continuously ignores its citizens clear demands for continuous sidewalks along our main arteries as well as in our urban neighborhoods, please sign the petition located at the following site: http://www.sidewalksforbellemeade.org/

Congrats to Ed Freeman for starting a grassroots movement to hopefully pressure our city leaders to effectively address the long-standing and incredibly frustrating Nashville-specific issue of the lack of sidewalks. It really is a black-eye for this city and is frankly embarrassing to continuously hear the surprise and frustration of each and every newcomer when they notice the absence of sidewalks.

I was in Chicago this weekend and observed what I mentioned above upon a visit to Phoenix. They have sidewalks on both sides of the street! They have street lights on poles! The power lines are in the alley! They don't have 50 years of rusted and unused phone technology still strung up across the city. They take down the old power line pole when they install a new one! Sorry, I digress...anyway...

As Ed mentions on his website, sidewalk projects are primarily funded by the federal government, and the issue is really about Nashville and their inability to do much of anything but study ideas for improvement. This is a question of Nashville's priorities and the failing and in many cases completely lacking infrastructure needs to be top of the list. That is improving the infrastructure, not simply talking about it.

While Ed's website is Belle Meade specific, wouldn't it be wonderful if his efforts started a strong city-wide effort to finally install those wonderful slabs of concrete that every other city has, that allow a citizen to walk their dog, a father to teach his child to ride a bike, an adult to take a early evening jog, a group of friends to go ride bikes, a senior citizen to walk to the grocery store, all without literally risking their life and the lives of others while conducting these activities in the road? Isn't it time Nashville to finally stand up and say with a loud and unified voice, we want sidewalks!

• 2 months later...

Some discussion in the Tennessean about the mayor and what to do about sidewalks and bicycle lanes in Belle Meade.

Belle Meade mayor looks ahead

Sidewalks - and paying for them - top agenda

BY NATALIA MIELCZAREK • THE TENNESSEAN • JANUARY 4, 2010

The 3,000-resident satellite city will also tackle the hot topic of sidewalks: whether it's fiscally possible and responsible to add any, where to put them and how to plan for their maintenance.

One of the hot topics in Belle Meade last year was the desire by some residents to get sidewalks. What's the latest on that?

"One resident recently made a very specific proposal to form a task force to look at the overall city in terms of safety for pedestrians and bicyclists and baby strollers. It's to look at what we can do for the city, taking into account the financial situation. One of the things suggested is to look into one-way street systems. That's an inexpensive way to get multi use because you could re-stripe it, and instead of one big lane, you'd have one lane and a shared lane for walkers and bicycles.

"This task force is not a guarantee that (sidewalks) will happen. We may not have the money, but we want the input and the planning."

Belle Meade mayor looks ahead

• 7 months later...

Belle Meade Town Center foreclosure sale is postponed until Sept 9...

I didn't realize it was being foreclosed on.. but anyway.. one thing I found interesting is Tony G only having a 'minority stake' in it. I always thought of it as 'his' project, based on the talk here at UP?

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/08/23/daily30.html?surround=lfn

Archived