Mall Of Memphis lot

Memphis77

I saw where Wal-Mart pulled out of building a new store in the old Mall Of Memphis lot and that the city is trying to get a new retailer to fill that spot. Well here's a suggestion. Why not build a bigger and better Mall Of Memphis? Wouldn't that be the best logical solution? It could be billed as the ultimate Mall of the South and would bring in large amounts of revenue, revitalize the area and community by interesting other retail developers, and bring in tourists. They got enough space to build a miniature Mall Of America, with attractions and upscale retail stores (80-100) and dining. Memphis needs to quit saying it can't be done and actually make it happen. If they ever want to be seen as a first class city.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's probably unlikely. If one mall failed, I can't see another big effort made to try again. And in the scheme of things, it seems like the mall concept itself is a bit passe. I go to the Mall of America maybe once a year and one of the advantages it has is that it's not in a high crime area, though other older malls in the Minny area have also failed just like in Memphis and every other city.

I think one thing that might work out well there would be the idea of some sort of international "bazaar" type thing. That area is thick with Hispanic immigrants many of whom are entrepreneurial go-getters and would like nothing better than to have a start at a small business, even if it's selling goods or food out of a stall. It would not be upscale, but it would serve a need and I personally would be more likely to go there than I would go to another mall.

In Minneapolis, the places I like to go to are similar--urban neighborhoods that have are hispanic or asian or native american (yep, Minneapolis has a native american ghetto) where the city has assisted in helping the residents open up small shop or stall space in old vacant buildings. Great public mercados full of everything in the world. Those neighborhoods are alive with that sort of thing. It's great urban planning and a great use of city tax dollars--less crime, less blight, etc.

^ I think your "bazaar" concept for the property would have a lot of potential. A hispanic market place with small shops and vendors could be a real success in serving the needs of the hispanic community in Memphis and in the surrounding region. Not to mention plenty of non-hispanic cosumers would frequent such a market in search of hispanic goods and foods they could not find or obtain easily otherwise in Memphis.

I would imagine if the concept was broadened to an "international market place" the potential could be in even greater. Either way such a concept could prove to be a great success for a site that otherwise may have few viable alternatives in the near-term.

^ I think your "bazaar" concept for the property would have a lot of potential. A hispanic market place with small shops and vendors could be a real success in serving the needs of the hispanic community in Memphis and in the surrounding region. Not to mention plenty of non-hispanic cosumers would frequent such a market in search of hispanic goods and foods they could not find or obtain easily otherwise in Memphis.

I would imagine if the concept was broadened to an "international market place" the potential could be in even greater. Either way such a concept could prove to be a great success for a site that otherwise may have few viable alternatives in the near-term.

Easier access, closer driver for everyone, plus that area could use the redevelopment more so than downtown. If you put Bass Pro in this location, along with the redevelopment of Graceland, you would ensure that this area makes in instant and sustainable comeback. Hotels, resturaunts, you name it...

^ :offtopic: Its very popular establishment for anyone who hunts, fishes, camps, or takes part in other outdoor past times - which in the Mid-South is probably a majority of the population outside of Memphis. So in short it's probably the premier store to buy top quality goods in all those activities, plus many more. Due to its limited locations its ability to draw in consumers from a wide geographic area is pretty strong, so a Memphis location should be able to pull in people from all over the Mid-South into the city for the sole purpose of buying goods from -or at least visiting- this single outlet.

Every regional mall - think Jackson, Jonesboro, etc.- has a Best Buy, Macy's, Gander Mountian, etc. now, but BPS is still a pretty unique and powerful brand name because it is so exclusive to handful of locations in comparison.

^ :offtopic: Its very popular establishment for anyone who hunts, fishes, camps, or takes part in other outdoor past times - which in the Mid-South is probably a majority of the population outside of Memphis. So in short it's probably the premier store to buy top quality goods in all those activities, plus many more. Due to its limited locations its ability to draw in consumers from a wide geographic area is pretty strong, so a Memphis location should be able to pull in people from all over the Mid-South into the city for the sole purpose of buying goods from -or at least visiting- this single outlet.

Every regional mall - think Jackson, Jonesboro, etc.- has a Best Buy, Macy's, Gander Mountian, etc. now, but BPS is still a pretty unique and powerful brand name because it is so exclusive to handful of locations in comparison.

I really do believe that putting Bass Pro on the old Mall of Memphis spot would be great for the city. It would spread the cities tourism out, and create development in other areas than just besides downtown. We need to do highrise development downtown, and strategically place our tourist develpment in other areas of the Metro area.

Archived