Triad Regional Transit

monsoon

Wow. That depot looks like it's seen better days. If you hadn't told me it was a depot, I would have figured it was a barn. Still, it's a blessing that it's still there.

If PART's project goes through, Kernersville might join the ranks of towns in NC with 19th century wooden depots restored for eventual transportation use. Other such cities include Morganton and Old Fort. The pictures give you an idea of what a finished station might look like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow. That depot looks like it's seen better days. If you hadn't told me it was a depot, I would have figured it was a barn. Still, it's a blessing that it's still there.

If PART's project goes through, Kernersville might join the ranks of towns in NC with 19th century wooden depots restored for eventual transportation use. Other such cities include Morganton and Old Fort. The pictures give you an idea of what a finished station might look like.

Hopefully it will look something like in those photos. Those are nice small town stations. High Point has a nice one too

Edited by cityboi

• 1 month later...

^^ From that article:

According to the 2000 census, Davie had at least 5,200 people a day, more than half of the county's work force, commuting to or through Forsyth County to work, PART officials said.

But I wonder, where to in Forsyth? Specifically, how many of them are actually headed downtown and how many work at suburban office parks? That makes a big difference.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow,

This is great news. I moved from Los Angeles a couple years ago and had done a documentary on public transit systems in college (with LA as the case study). I grew up in Switzerland, which has one of the more advanced and extensive systems in the world. It was difficult transitioning to a lifestyle dependant on 4-wheels. That said I would definitely be a frequent participant in the PART Rail System.

Cheers,

Alex

Contract Web Development

ps. I am in the process of putting an updated version of the documentary online for anyone that is interested. Meanwhile I will continue checking this thread for updates.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow,

This is great news. I moved from Los Angeles a couple years ago and had done a documentary on public transit systems in college (with LA as the case study). I grew up in Switzerland, which has one of the more advanced and extensive systems in the world. It was difficult transitioning to a lifestyle dependant on 4-wheels. That said I would definitely be a frequent participant in the PART Rail System.

Cheers,

Alex

Contract Web Development

ps. I am in the process of putting an updated version of the documentary online for anyone that is interested. Meanwhile I will continue checking this thread for updates.

I have finally finished uploading my public transportation documentary - I initially published it several years ago in college but many of the discussions and analyses are still relevant today : Los Angeles Public Transportation - it uses Los Angeles as a case study but applies to a broad range of public transportation topics. I'm also going to try and build up a little community to discuss public transportation advancements - feel free to join if you like.

• 1 month later...

Part's new "Mountaineer Express" between Greensboro and Boone

http://www.partnc.org/US421express.htm

AFAIK, this is the only express bus that goes all the way through the Triad like that. (correct me if I'm wrong?) Anyway, this could the the course for the rail line to be build in the future as it follows a somewhat similar course and makes some of the same stops. BTW, Part's been adding a number of new lines lately. They must be doing well which bodes well for the rail line :thumbsup:

That route is meant to replace a Greyhound route that was recently terminated.

They do have another route that goes through the whole triad like that. That would be the UNC/Duke route, that connects Winston-Salem and Greensboro to UNC and Duke hospitals.

That seems like it's a cross between an on-demand service and a scheduled service. You have to call ahead to make reservations (I assume it won't run otherwise) but it's available to the general public, and departs at a pre-determined time.

• 2 months later...

it looks like more and more people are riding the PART buses. Thats an indication that we are getting closer to having enough riders to support a regional rail system. I think the rail should connect Piedmont Triad Intl Airport with Smith Reynolds Airport. I think Smith Reynolds should serve a more important role in the area.

it looks like more and more people are riding the PART buses. Thats an indication that we are getting closer to having enough riders to support a regional rail system. I think the rail should connect Piedmont Triad Intl Airport with Smith Reynolds Airport. I think Smith Reynolds should serve a more important role in the area.

PTI is dying, and Smith Reynolds has no passenger service. The rail system would be much more productive serving downtowns, universities, hospitals, and malls.

PTI is dying, and Smith Reynolds has no passenger service. The rail system would be much more productive serving downtowns, universities, hospitals, and malls.

I dont think PTI will ever die because the Triad will always be large enough to sustain an international airport. I think as the Triad's economy starts getting better, we'll see more airport business at PTI. but you are right about the rail serving downtowns, univerities and so on. But they should also be connected with the airports.

I dont think PTI will ever die because the Triad will always be large enough to sustain an international airport. I think as the Triad's economy starts getting better, we'll see more airport business at PTI. but you are right about the rail serving downtowns, univerities and so on. But they should also be connected with the airports.

I think if PTI fails they should make Smith Reynolds Airport better and have all flights out of Smith Reynolds.

• 4 weeks later...

GTA will start running busses every 30 minutes starting january 2nd.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/Departments/GDOT/divisions/gta/

hopefully this will lead to more people riding greensboro's busses. if you haven't taken the bus in greensboro yet, you should definitely consider it after january 2nd. the busses are clean and surprisingly quiet compared to other busses i have ridden.

Way to go, Greensboro, this is a good step.

Raleigh needs to learn a lesson from you. In Raleigh, No routes have better than 30-minute frequencies at rush hour, and No routes come more often than every 60 minutes at mid-day and in the evening. Some come every 60 minutes (or worse!) all day long.

Raleigh has repeatedly shown that low property taxes are a far, far higher priority to the city than transit. Guess that's what we get for being the home of the venerable John Locke Foundation.

I think if PTI fails they should make Smith Reynolds Airport better and have all flights out of Smith Reynolds.

If PTI fails(which is highly unlikely, diminished importance is a much more realistic outcome), all passenger traffic would go to Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham. Smith Reynolds, while at one time the busiest airport in the state back in the day (probably before either of our lives started), is now pretty much relegated to corporate and general aviation. Outside of charter flights, I don't see scheduled service ever coming back to Smith Reynolds.

(However, I'd love Winston-Salem's growth to take off to the point where you see some flights to say Newark, DC, or Chicago! One can dream)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Davidson Co. is looking into starting PART service in their county. Since Greyhound has quit servicing Lexington, there is no transportation service out of the county for anyone who doesn't own an automobile. The first step is for Davidson Country to pass a car rental tax.

WSJ article about Davidson Co. adding PART service

• 4 weeks later...