Bush and war protests in Winston-Salem

Danny 4 Peace

A protester dressed as an Abu Ghraib prisoner joined several hundred protesters at the intersection of Academy Street and Old Salem Road.

(Journal Photo by Bruce Chapman)

I would post pictures but they don't work. It says it can't post dynamic IMG or something?

Voices of Dissent

Protesters take to the streets near Old Salem to show opposition to administration policies

By Patrick Wilson

JOURNAL REPORTER

As Salem College students took exams and Republicans dined with the vice president yesterday, protesters of the Bush administration made some noise just off campus.

Several hundred people gathered in the rain at the intersection of Academy Street and Old Salem Road, holding signs and chanting during the fund-raiser for U.S. Senate candidate Rep. Richard Burr.

Protesters carried signs with such slogans as "Fire the Liars," "WMD?," "Peace is Patriotic," and "Who would Jesus bomb?" and sang "If you can't find bin Laden, bomb Iraq," to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands."

One hooded protester posed as the Iraqi prisoner at Abu Ghraib prison who was photographed standing on a box with wires attached to his fingers.

"It's good to know that despite the fact that we have no access to power, we can still come out and exercise our right to free speech and let them know we do not agree with their policies," said Mischi Binkley, a member of Winston-Salem based Community for Peace, one of the groups at the protest.

Some people driving by honked their horns and waved approval.

"It's worth it to us to be here because people feel so disempowered," Binkley said.

Members of the Winston-Salem chapter of the Sierra Club passed out literature about clean air and a government warning about high levels of mercury in fish.

The Sierra Club has said that the Bush administration is undermining the Clean Air Act by not enforcing existing laws as well as supporting a plan that would allow mercury pollution into the air from coal-fired power plants.

"He seems to oppose everything that we are trying to work for and that we have accomplished," Sierra Club member and fly fisherman Henry Fansler said of the president, as he held a fishing pole and wore waders.

Members of Salem College Democrats wore their group's T-shirts to the rally.

Victoria Smith, a senior, said she was roused when she heard Cheney would be on her campus.

Meenal Khajuria, another college Democrat, said: "We're dismayed because of his administration and his policies. He's not a person that we respect or admire," she said. "I think he's very anti-woman, anti-gay rights, anti-minority."

Kelly Patterson, a Winston-Salem lawyer and Democratic activist, joined the rally after work, still wearing his suit and tie.

"It's to show support for Democratic values, Democratic candidates, and to remind people that we're the majority," he said, waving an American flag.

Burr is known as a nice man, but also as a congressman who is in lock step with the president, Patterson said.

"They have clearly chosen him because they can count on his vote, whatever it is that they need," he said. "I don't think the vice president will see us or even know that we were here, but some of the people attending that fund-raiser will see us ,and the Democrats driving by will see us."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a state that backs it's own people. I could see a very close finish in NC and SC if Edwards is on the ticket. I'll vote Kerry with or without Edwards. I think Kerry may ask McCain to run with him to steal votes from Bush. I saw in an interview last week where McCain said he didn't want to be VP. I guess we will see. Edwards would make an excellent president 8 years from now. I would like to see him as VP this fall. I know Gore's heart is with the party, but I don't think he would make a good president. I voted for him though. I think Kerry will become a better speaker over time. It's something Edwards can bring to the ticket if he goes with Edwards. Edwards is an excellent speaker.

No Gore wasnt presidential material. I definately agree with you on that one. :lol: I still voted for him anyways. :lol: Too bad we cant bring Clinton back. :( I am a registered Democrat and vote straight ticket. Kerry has my vote with or without Edwards. I also agree with you that people in this state support their own. Even those who don't vote will go out to vote for Edwards.

Kerry for President in 2004. Yes Winston-Salem does vote for peace.

If it was anyone but Gore I think we would have a Democrat in office right now and all the problems of the past four years would've never happened. It was a counting mistake to begin with. I still think Gore won. Who again was the governor of the state with the counting error? :lol:

cheney3.jpg

If it was anyone but Gore I think we would have a Democrat in office right now

I disagree. Gore got more actual votes then Clinton ever did. Check the 1992, 1996, and 2000 vote tally. They all prove it. You should replace your first statement and say that if Nader wouldn't have run, Gore would be president. Gore still managed to get a majority of the vote nationwide - 51% - with a far left candidate dragging some of his base away, and he still got more votes then Clinton ever did.

Just think about it. Just like Perot took away much of the Republican base vote in 1992 and 1996, Nader took away much of the Democratic base vote in 2000. Yet Gore survived and his campaign kept more then enough of the party together.

Gore deserves lots of credit he never got. And you guys apparently don't even see this - as voting Democrats.

You guys need to know the facts, don't buy the media pundits' opinions. They are crap. Gore made mistakes in his candidacy, but media pundits have attacked him so greatly even Democrats buy the argument. Not me. I support Gore 100% and actually think he'd been far better then Kerry should he chosen to stay in.

• 2 weeks later...

Straight ticket voting is uninformed and stupid. Opinion of course.

I guess voters will decide in November if they want change for the sake of change. Its amazing how almost no one loves Kerry as a candidate, but just wants someone else - any democrat - to replace Bushy.

Voting for conservatives / Republicans is also very stupid. Even in local politics Republicans are anti-growth and support typical conservative values. They are the ones who stand up for rednecks and NIMBYs. I only vote for one party because I believe in that party and what they stand for.

Archived