Tourism, conventions, and major attractions in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

President Bush is expected to announce during the state of the union address tonight that the North America Leaders Summit will be hosted in New Orleans.

----------

According to AP, this will be the first JazzFest for Billy Joel and Sheryl Crow, and it will be Stevie Wonder's first appearance as a headliner (his last JazzFest appearance was in 1973).

• 2 weeks later...

I had forgoten to comment on the North American Summit in New Orleans, but it will be great to have the city host an international attention-grabbing event. If nothing else, it will be a great time for the city to show itself off, even if only for a short time, to news viewers all over the world.

And the NBA All-Star game is coming up this weekend in New Orleans. I love the event every year and I'm really looking forward to seeing New Orleans host yet another major sporting event. The Turner networks (TBS & TNT) have already been running lots of adds about the event being hosted in New Orleans, and there should be a major presence from ESPN and TNT to cover the various activities and the game itself. Not to mention the tens of thousands of fans that will be in town! :thumbsup:

I posted this over in the Louisiana Sports Talk thread as well:

I don't think anyone in New Orleans could have asked for a better weekend. The biggest day of service in pro sports history, all kinds of money generated and donated to schools and charities, and I don't think I've seen New Orleans look better on a big stage. All of that music, bits about food and culture, updates and positive thoughts on rebuilding, fantastic aerials of the city, tours of the CBD and French Quarter, all of it aired internationally in 44 languages. New Orleans couldn't have paid for that kind of advertising. Thank you, NBA, for showcasing New Orleans in a beautiful light.

And as a side note to the game, many might remember the public outcries about not having the All-Star game in New Orleans. After what happened in Vegas, it seemed like every sports writer in the nation was writing about how All-Star weekend in New Orleans would be nothing but gunfire and crime. Well, now that it's all over, the NOPD reported 98 arrests. For comparison, the Las Vegas Police Department reported approximately 400 arrests at last year's All-Star game. As Ray Nagin said today, all of the worries about big event safety in New Orleans should be put to rest. The city, in it's post-Katrina state with a smaller police force, managed to easily pull off an event that one of the, if not the largest tourism city in the world, Las Vegas, couldn't handle.

It was announced today that New Orleans will host the Bassmaster Classic in 2011. This will be BASS' 4th trip to New Orleans, and it's nice to see another major event returning to the city after Katrina. Shreveport will host the event next year, Birmingham in 2010, and New Orleans in 2011. Louisiana is certainly living up to its name as "Sportsmans Paradise!"

ESPN Article

A first-time Classic destination, America's Bass Capital and the Big Easy will usher in the excitement of the Bassmaster Classic through the next three years.

In 2009, the 39th Bassmaster Classic will be held on the Red River out of Shreveport-Bossier City, La.; in 2010, Birmingham, Ala., welcomes back the Classic for the seventh time; and in 2011, the Classic marches back to New Orleans.

• 2 weeks later...

Conference of Black Mayors moves meeting to N.O.

Times-Picayune article

The National Conference of Black Mayors will bring its annual convention to New Orleans in June after deciding last week to relocate it from Detroit in the wake of a scandal involving that city's mayor, the group's president said Monday.

• 3 months later...

Essence is here again and, as usual, the city is getting a huge boost in the slow summer months. CNN was in New Orleans covering Essence Fest all day, and tommorow the network will air a special report on New Orleans' continued recovery. Essence is expected to bring 200,000 visitors into New Orleans and will generate over $80 million for the city's economy. :thumbsup:

A list of some of the major performers from Friday:

• Kanye West

• J Holiday

• Chris Brown

• Rihanna

• Rebirth Brass Band

• Grandmaster Flash

• Angie Stone

• Terence Blanchard

Saturday:

• Patti Labelle

• LL Cool J

• Jill Scott

• Kermit Ruffins

• Solange Knowles

• Irvin Mayfield

Sunday:

[*]Chris Rock

[*]Keyshia Cole

[*]Mary J. Blige

[*]Frankie Beverly and Maze

[*]Preservation Hall Jazz Band

[*]Irma Thomas

[*]Morris Day

Always like to hear positive news coming out of New Orleans; esp. from the national media :thumbsup:

NAD (National Association for the Deaf) will be holding it's annual national conference (July 7-11) at the Marriott; I found it a bit confusing as to which one?? At the Convention Center or the Marriott on Canal Street?? I'm thinking the latter. I plan on being there at least one of those days.

NAD (National Association for the Deaf) will be holding it's annual national conference (July 7-11) at the Marriott; I found it a bit confusing as to which one?? At the Convention Center or the Marriott on Canal Street?? I'm thinking the latter. I plan on being there at least one of those days.

Thanks a bunch Nate, I appreciate that. :thumbsup: I'm still not sure which workshops I'll be attending; but will be sure to wedge some time for a few things in between. Just looking forward to seeing the CBD and the city again! It's gonna be a trip seeing that many Deaf individuals signing away with there hands flying in the air.

Should I park in the garage inside the Marroitt??

As Richy mentioned, the National Association for the Deaf will be holding their conference in the Marriot on Canal this week. Announced today, Southern and Grambling will be holding a joint national alumni conference this week, across the street in the Sheraton.

Link

Archived