street trees

jencoleslaw

I figured it was time for a new thread on the subject:

For providence residence who wish to have street trees-the deadline for spring planting applications is December 1, 2007. Applications must be postmarked by this date. You can download an application from Get your free street trees here!!!! All the information you could possibly need is on the website but the short version is as follows:

• Send in the exact street address for every street tree location

• make sure the folks living there want and will help plant and care for a tree

• have at least 5 different households involved in the application

it really is that easy.

If you have a street tree that has issues, please call the Forestry Department at 785-9450 and give them your street address and what the problem is with your tree (as best you can determine) and they will send someone out to look at it. If you would like to plant your own street tree, you still need a planting permit from the city. Call the Forestry number to request a permit and once you send that in, it will trigger Dig-Safe who will mark your utilities. It is the LAW to contact dig-safe before doing any construction or digging in the public right of way (which is what your grass strip is)

ok? Ok.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

City looking for people who want trees

Each June and December, the Providence Neighborhood Planting Program receives applications for the award of trees to residents. These awards provide sidewalk preparation, new soil, large trees ready for planting and delivery of the trees.

On Francis Street outside the mall (outside Napa Valley) there's some new street trees. I can't remember what was there before, I remember that stretch in front of Napa Valley feeling bleak though. Just the few trees they planted make that section of sidewalk feel that much more pleasant. I'm sure it will make the outdoor dining experience at Napa Valley better once the trees mature too.

Also, RISD planted some street trees on North Main outside the Metcalf Building (the one between the bus tunnel and the Chace Center).

I wish they would plant some trees or put something on the traffic Island at the intersection of Gaspee & Francis St in front of The Cheesecake Factory. It's tough to see it at night, especially for drivers turning from Gaspee onto Francis St. I've seen a lot of cars mount the Island, including myself. :ph34r: Reflectors or more lighting might help.

That idea's been talked about for years, but as far as I know, it never got beyond the talking stage. I know Phil at La Prima (now Broadway Bistro) who seemed connected, was actively interested in it and talked about it, but he's moved on.

Given the current financial climate, I don't think this will be happening anytime soon.

We saw some lamps in Fairfax City (which is just about the only historic piece of this area) and they looked JUST like gas lamps. The old man was sure they were actually gas, but i can't believe that they were. They were on a busy city street, and what happens if you hit one of them...isn't it a hazard? They looked great, regardless of what was lighting them...

That idea's been talked about for years, but as far as I know, it never got beyond the talking stage. I know Phil at La Prima (now Broadway Bistro) who seemed connected, was actively interested in it and talked about it, but he's moved on.

Given the current financial climate, I don't think this will be happening anytime soon.

Since this is a Street Tree and Landscape thread, I'd like an idea on what to plant in my tree pits for ground cover.

Last year, I planted lavender in one of the pits as a test. To prep the pit, I removed a huge amount of aggregate and mixed-in some compost. I thought lavender would be a good choice because it loves the sun, needs minimal watering and does well in crappy soil. While I figured they'd get hammered by the road salt, I underestimated the effects of dog urine 3x/day, everyday.

So my plan is to put up some border fencing and plant some urine resistant ground cover. I'd like to try a different type of lavender - using Hidcote which doesn't get taller than 12 inches. Any input would be great - thanks.

I would actually use catmint. I think it does better up north than the lavender. I also think dogs don't like the smell much. Russian Sage is also a good choice, and it likes poor soil but I can't remember whether it overwinters well or not.

To keep dogs out of your tree pit, sprinkle cayenne pepper in there. you can get big cannisters of it at Job Lot or Restaurant Depot for pretty cheap. Brick can tell you whether it is working as he's trying it at his place.

BTW, I already have peppers and tomatoes in the garden, bearing fruit and squash has just flowered, we'll see if it sets fruit.

Kisses from the southlands!

PS i am a crazy tree lady down here too. Just got a new tree lady gig! Goin' national!

Archived