Magazines and Journals

Miesian Corners

Upon picking up my mail at the PO yesterday, I realized I get far more magazines and journals than I ever have time to read. All that paper waste, not to mention work hours, transportation costs, etc going into them arriving in my box makes me feel a little guilty, actually. It's time to pare down and reduce my carbon footprint. And I must say, I've tried reading them online and it just isn't the same. I need the tactile nature of an actual piece of paper sometimes to process information.

With that said, I've started thinking about which ones I plan to renew for next year. What follows is a list of what I currently receive versus what I acutally read.

What I get:

The Economist

Newsweek

Metropolis

Dwell

Arc News

Planning

Urban Land

GQ

Esquire

What I read (usually)

The Economist

Metropolis

Where do y'all fall in this regard? Anyone else find themselves in the same predicament?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too find myself in the situation of receiving way too many magazines than I really need or have time to read.

Here's a list of what I currently get:

Popular Science

Discover

National Geographic

Inc.

Wired

Fast Company

TechNet Magazine

Shutterblog

Popular Photography

American Photo

Charlotte Magazine

Reader's Digest

What I'm going to actively renew after my current subscriptions run out:

Wired

Popular Photography

Popular Science

I get most of my input from the web anyway and much of these magazines simply contain duplicate content if you already subscribe to their RSS feeds, etc. I do recycle all magazines I subscribe to though (the city I live in collects them with other recyclable material).

I'm pretty much a gear head. Here's what we get between the wife and me:

Hot Rod

Car Craft

Automobile

Car and Driver

Motor Trend

Newsweek

Inc. (I'm not resubscribing to this one)

Hemming's Muscle Car

Hemmings Sports and Exotic

Hemming's Claassic Car

Collectible Automobile

Popular Mechanics

Better Homes and Garden

Southern Living

I'm considering subscibing to National Geographic and Reader's Digest, but I've found in the past I just skim through them and really don't get much out of them.

I'm pretty much a gear head. Here's what I get:

Hot Rod

Car Craft

Automobile

Car and Driver

Motor Trend

Newsweek

Inc. (I'm not resubscribing to this one)

Hemming's Muscle Car

Hemmings Sports and Exotic

Hemming's Claassic Car

Collectible Automobile

Popular Mechanics

I'm considering subscibing to National Geographic and Reader's Digest, but I've found in the past I just skim through them and really don't get much out of them.

great topic. the magazines i enjoy and have or had subscriptions to are:

Outside (very well written articles)

Dwell (cheap subscription and it cures my design fix)

The Atlantic Monthly (great book reviews)

Mojo (hands down - the best music mag for my dollar... and boy is it expensive)

*edit

i also enjoy Art in America and ARTnews and i recommend Complex to any guy with a sneaker fetish.

Architectural Digest

National Geographic

Popular Science

Reader's Digest

I've considered letting one or more lapse due to the ease of getting information online, but there always seem to be neighbors whose kids are selling subscriptions. I've been getting N.G. and P.C. since probably around 8 years old.

EDIT - And I suppose I shouldn't lie, my wife gets People, and as much as I despise the whole premise I find myself reading it too.

Great responses. I will tell you, I used to get Time and Newsweek, but got turned on to The Economist when I traveled to the UK. Great newsmag. After the 763rd cover of either Jesus, Mary, Joseph, or John the Baptist on both of the American newsmags, I switched to The Economist. Balanced, well-written, and no more religion crammed down my throat every time December and March/April rolls around. And don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-religion, I just don't want it on the cover of my weekly news every bloody week! At any rate, I highly recommend trying the Economist.

I haven't bothered to get a lot of my magazine subscriptions renewed lately, since so much material is now available online.

However, I do read a few, among them:

Popular Science

Newsmax

Smithsonian

American Heritage Magazine

Game Informer (haven't renewed it in over a year, though)

Occasionally, I will buy a copy of Time, Newsweek, The Atlantic, or the US News and World Report from the local newstand if the subject matter interests me.

The Economist is one magazine I have been thinking about subscribing to lately.

• 2 weeks later...

This is all I get now...

National Geographic

SB Magazine (local publication)

Until a few years ago I regularly received the following...

Men's Fitness

Runner's World

Playboy

MotorTrend

Circus (apparently they don't even make this magazine anymore)

Guitar World

Metal Mania

Never been a huge magazine person but I did get a lot more magazines before I got married. And I see a trend... mostly "men's" magazines. I never noticed that before.

I do pick up a couple other local magazines but don't subscribe to them. One is weekly and one is monthly and I pick them up religiously while out to eat or run errands.

My wife gets a bunch of magazines, though... which she also never reads.

I get the following:

beer advocate (the only magazine i have ever read cover to cover, if you like craft beer, this is a must read)

relix (the best music mag i've seen, at least for the jamband scene)

i used to get playboy for the articles (great political articles and i love the playboy advisor, but i stopped looking at it) and rolling stone, but their stuff just got crappier and crappier with a couple gems (like the recent article on the "war on drugs").

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you that get DWELL, is it worth getting? I got a pamphlet in the mail about the mag and it looks very interesting. I get Metropolis right now (which I love), would there be much overlap? DWELL appears a little more concentrated on residential living and design.

Archived