I-185 Extension

Florida

I-185 Extension

Columbus, GA - Tallahassee, FL

i-185_ga.gif

I've crossed several sources that indicate leaders in Georgia are agressively pushing for the extension of I-185 from Columbus, GA to Tallahassee. If sources are true, this would indicate some major changes are on the horizon for the Florida Capital. None of the local media has picked up on this story as of yet, although news has been out since last year. Here are some links to a few articles I found.

Interstate extension headed here?

Thomasville Times Enterprise

New Interstate Idea Gets Mixed Reviews

Early County News

New Interstate Idea gets Mixed Reviews

WALB.com - Albany

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as tourism goes, I would think Columbus to Pensacola following the GA-AL state line most of the way would make more sense, but I would totally thrilled if this ever happened. Its a little disappointing to see it will connect in Monticello, but the apparent enthusiasm of the GA leaders is heartening.

Nevermind, I-65 pretty much follows that route.

I was going to say that about I-65. I'm glad you caught yourself!

If it connected in Monticello, I'd be just as happy if it came straight to Tallahassee. I think the preference of most involved is to see it come directly to Tallahassee, but I feel a connection with I-10 that close to Tallahassee would serve the same purpose.

My long desire is to see someone do more with US 27. I think that should be the route to pursue.

Well sure. It would be a great thing for Jefferson County as well. I also think it would create opportunities for enhancements to Highways south of us, such as 27 where it cuts through the Perry region to central Florida. Perhaps it may spark state leaders to study putting us a limited access road to connect our region to the Florida turnpike.

What do you make of the arguments by the smaller towns against this proposal that an interstate would negatively affect them because people wouldn't be forced to stop, and drive through their little towns. Isn't that the point! I My thought is one would stop if they want to stop whether it's a limited access Highway or a Stop-N-Go highway.

Well sure. It would be a great thing for Jefferson County as well. I also think it would create opportunities for enhancements to Highways south of us, such as 27 where it cuts through the Perry region to central Florida. Perhaps it may spark state leaders to study putting us a limited access road to connect our region to the Florida turnpike.

What do you make of the arguments by the smaller towns against this proposal that an interstate would negatively affect them because people wouldn't be forced to stop, and drive through their little towns. Isn't that the point! I My thought is one would stop if they want to stop whether it's a limited access Highway or a Stop-N-Go highway.

While I'm all for regionalism, this project should terminate in Tally/Leon County.

We need some strong leaders from the FL side of things to make this project happen no matter where it ends. Who is the best person for that job?

I've said it before, they've been talking for years about extending the Turnpike at least over to US 19 in the Levy County area (Chiefland.) and the Suncoast up to Inglis (which is at the Levy/Citrus county line.) Both these extensions would help in my travels greatly. I can make it to Chiefland easily in 2 hours. I lose some time after that getting to the T-pike or The Suncoast. I used US 19/27 to the T-pike this weekend going to Palm Beach County and made it there in less than 6hrs driving time.

While I'm all for regionalism, this project should terminate in Tally/Leon County.

We need some strong leaders from the FL side of things to make this project happen no matter where it ends. Who is the best person for that job?

I've said it before, they've been talking for years about extending the Turnpike at least over to US 19 in the Levy County area (Chiefland.) and the Suncoast up to Inglis (which is at the Levy/Citrus county line.) Both these extensions would help in my travels greatly. I can make it to Chiefland easily in 2 hours. I lose some time after that getting to the T-pike or The Suncoast. I used US 19/27 to the T-pike this weekend going to Palm Beach County and made it there in less than 6hrs driving time.

Your in luck Poonther, they are going to extend the suncoast 20 miles north of its existing terminus, there is a website dedicated to it, search google for suncoastparkway 2...... anyhow,. i was talking to the people in my planning classes and they all agree the suncoast or the turnpike should be extended to tallahassee....

Now, why isnt it? because local leaders dont look forward..... they dont think outside the box, they are of the mindset that tallahassee is still a small town,...

We need progressive leaders who encourage growth.... They should be pursuing all avenues in reguards to transportation expansion for our region! Airport, Get that I-185 extended down here from columbus, get us a connection to the turnpike...... We need larger private business... Quit wasting our hard earned dollars, flying to other cities who "get it" and trying to "learn" from them... It has done nothing for our lackadaisical politicians approach on growth....

Unless we get progressive people in at the top, tallahassee will sadly always be that child no one played with...

We have so much to offer, yet we dont give ourselves a chance!

Your in luck Poonther, they are going to extend the suncoast 20 miles north of its existing terminus, there is a website dedicated to it, search google for suncoastparkway 2...... anyhow,. i was talking to the people in my planning classes and they all agree the suncoast or the turnpike should be extended to tallahassee....

You are right TD except the good folks in Citrus County are pulling a "Silly Ole Bob Rackleff and friends" and fighting the extension. Construction should have already been started, but a final route hasn't even been selected.

Archived