I-185 Extension

Florida

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you look at GA overall and the accomplishments we've heard us thus far this year, I'd say they're doing the right things to move forward beyond their traditional metropolitan areas. Where in Florida, outside of the Usual Suspects, has their been any great economic development news?

When you look at GA overall and the accomplishments we've heard us thus far this year, I'd say they're doing the right things to move forward beyond their traditional metropolitan areas. Where in Florida, outside of the Usual Suspects, has their been any great economic development news?

Well, I dont think theres enough going on in the non-metro areas of Georgia to say their economic development is surpassing ours. And for the most part, the "Usual Suspects" getting these new ED Engines helps keep the entire state going, and a lot of credit should go to the county/city leaders for doing that.

A few non "usual suspects" I know off the top of my head would be that E-1 (Emergency One, they build fire trucks) chose to stay in Ocala rather than moving out of state. CSX (if the DCA approves) will be opening a new facility/train yard in Lakeland. East Orlando (away from downtown/tourist areas) is looking to become a major medical haven in the state.

Georgia is doing good things, and their prosperity actually helps us, but they're not on the same level as Florida.

Easy now, dont run your "Gator."

2007 Schedule

DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME

09/03 at Clemson L 24-18

09/08 UAB W 34-24

09/15 at Colorado W 16-6

09/29 #22 Alabama W 21-14

10/06 NC State W 27-10

10/11 at W Forest L 24-21

10/20 Miami L 37-29

10/27 Duke W 25-6

11/03 at #2 BC W 27-17

11/10 at #11 Va Tech L 40-21

11/17 Maryland W 24-16

11/24 at #12 Florida L 45-12

All times ET ;)

Georgia has had a decent year, but like most other teams in the Top 5, their ranking has been because there has to be a #4 team. Kind of like Missouri being #1. Theyre not the best team in the country. Not even close. But there has to be a #1 team. There are a few #2 teams, but not a clear cut #1.

War Eagle GG! You should have been over at my house Saturday night watching that game w/my 83 year old mother. The things that come out her polite mouth when AU football is on...shocking. The rest of my family was actually at the game.

Auburn is in the county next to Columbus which is where I-185 is coming from. See how I linked that to being back on topic. :)

And oh yeah speaking of Columbus, they are set to add tons of jobs w/the BRAC realignments to Ft. Benning and the expansions of AFLAC. They could surpass Augusta as GA's 2nd city in time.

Economic expansion in FL isn't the same as it was once IMHO especially since the SFL machine has come to a grinding halt. We need to have more high paying jobs statewide and more HQ's to move here. Percentage wise, GA and NC are giving us a run for the money when it comes to economic expansion and especially education including higher ed. IMHO we (FL) got lost along the way, we seem to just wanna be a cheap place to live.

Economic expansion in FL isn't the same as it was once IMHO especially since the SFL machine has come to a grinding halt. We need to have more high paying jobs statewide and more HQ's to move here. Percentage wise, GA and NC are giving us a run for the money when it comes to economic expansion and especially education including higher ed. IMHO we (FL) got lost along the way, we seem to just wanna be a cheap place to live.

War Eagle GG! You should have been over at my house Saturday night watching that game w/my 83 year old mother. The things that come out her polite mouth when AU football is on...shocking. The rest of my family was actually at the game.

Auburn is in the county next to Columbus which is where I-185 is coming from. See how I linked that to being back on topic. :)

And oh yeah speaking of Columbus, they are set to add tons of jobs w/the BRAC realignments to Ft. Benning and the expansions of AFLAC. They could surpass Augusta as GA's 2nd city in time.

Actually Columbus was the second largest city in the state of Georgia from the mid 1970's up until 96 or '97 when Augusta consilidated with Richmond County to become the 2nd largest city in the state however wierd thing on the wipedika encylopidia 2006 estimates put Augusta and Columbus' populations only about 1000 people different after BRAC columbus will definetly become GA's second largest city again. The whole state of Georgia is booming economically and Georgia trend has been reporting for years that Columbus will lead the pack up until at least 2012 due to companies like Aflac, Kia, "Ft Benning" Synovous, and TSYS Alot of people really do sleep on the city, but the truth is Columbus is georgia's 2nd top business city next to Atlanta there are more major companies headquartered in Columbus than any other 2nd tier GA city.

Thanks for the interesting update on Cols mitchella81. I knew exciting things were happening there. Now you guys need to send us I-185. I remember when there was no I-185 and Cols was rather isolated in terms of four lane road, 431, 280 and 27 for the most part were 2 lanes. Anyway, we all hope our cities can be connected one day via a new interstate......just don't send us that AFLAC duck. :) Or is that a goose?

Archived