I-185 Extension

Florida

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

insituphoto great find. I've read all that information in some form or another, but never together like that. The Interstate guide website is a great site. I've visited it often, but missed that part you just linked us to. I-67 could be built as well as I-185 to Tally. Right now it's not either or..but we'll see.

Based on my limited knowledge of the project, the first portion to be built is the loop around MGM which is currently happening. Then the next part will be the connector from DHN to I-10 and possibly the PC to I-10 route. From what I've read, they tend to favor the middle route when it come to the PC connector. The part between MGM and DHN is decades away IMHO. I predict if and when this entire route is completed, FL will have great-grandchildren. :)

• 1 month later...

Here's what I wrote:

This one definitely needs to go to Tallahassee (Metro 336,501). As one previously mentioned, the state of Alabama is already looking to extend a road south into the Panama City (Metro 163,505) area via Dothan, AL. Meanwhile there is no North-South Expressway serving Southwest GA, where there are thriving Agricultural, Food Processing, Lumber, and manufacturing industries. The location of this roadway into Florida's capital opens up Georgian access to the gulf of Mexico, and a much larger market of consumers more likely to trade if access to these Southern GA markets is opened up, not to mention allowing goods and services from the Capitol Region of Florida to travel north more smoothly, thereby enhancing the overall economic vitality of the entire region.

Gadsden County seems to welcome economic opportunities and some companies in Tallahassee are even relocating there, so the best approach is to drop this route southward into Midway near the I-10/US 90 intersection. The big advantages is that planners don't have to deal with Leon County Gov't(s) and local protesters, it will help shift economic development from East (and Northeast) Tallahassee to the more needy Western Counties in our Tallahassee Metro area, and it will also encourage more eastbound and southbound traffic through Tallahassee.

Gadsden County seems to welcome economic opportunities and some companies in Tallahassee are even relocating there, so the best approach is to drop this route southward into Midway near the I-10/US 90 intersection. The big advantages is that planners don't have to deal with Leon County Gov't(s) and local protesters, it will help shift economic development from East (and Northeast) Tallahassee to the more needy Western Counties in our Tallahassee Metro area, and it will also encourage more eastbound and southbound traffic through Tallahassee.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, thanks to aboutmetro I found this webpage concerning the I-185 extension. Aboutmetro raises the question of why Florida isn't involved in this process and I am in definite agreement w/him........why aren't we?

I know the interstate will only run a few miles in our state, but w/our metro being the terminus of the location and our metro having just about as many people in it as the whole area between here and Columbus, GA, I'd like to think we are pretty important player in this decision process.

Tell me please who I should write to ask if we are involved or not in this process. City/County Commission? Jefferson County b/c that is the county the want it come through? DOT? Capital Regional Transportation people...you know Harry Reid and his bunch that believe I-10 isn't and should not be used for local commuting?

Bottom line: we are fools to just sit back and let this happen w/out being involved in it to some degree.

Hey guys, thanks to aboutmetro I found this webpage concerning the I-185 extension. Aboutmetro raises the question of why Florida isn't involved in this process and I am in definite agreement w/him........why aren't we?

I know the interstate will only run a few miles in our state, but w/our metro being the terminus of the location and our metro having just about as many people in it as the whole area between here and Columbus, GA, I'd like to think we are pretty important player in this decision process.

Tell me please who I should write to ask if we are involved or not in this process. City/County Commission? Jefferson County b/c that is the county the want it come through? DOT? Capital Regional Transportation people...you know Harry Reid and his bunch that believe I-10 isn't and should not be used for local commuting?

Bottom line: we are fools to just sit back and let this happen w/out being involved in it to some degree.

Always start with the government that is closest to you...the city/county government. Then I would go to Loranne or Curtis, whoever your Rep is (not sure where exactly you live), and Al. It also may not hurt to write Electra Theorides Bustle, the Secretary of FDOT.

Then at some point, and JoseFK could vouch for this, Pelham will have his hand in this. He's not really someone you can write to urge to support though, because he is not in a representative position.

Always start with the government that is closest to you...the city/county government. Then I would go to Loranne or Curtis, whoever your Rep is (not sure where exactly you live), and Al. It also may not hurt to write Electra Theorides Bustle, the Secretary of FDOT.

Then at some point, and JoseFK could vouch for this, Pelham will have his hand in this. He's not really someone you can write to urge to support though, because he is not in a representative position.

Thank for all the information.

Do you guys feel that it's a valid reason to write them before I waste my time? I mean it won't be in our state for very many miles, but its location of where it hits I-10 is very important for our region. Since right now it's all an GA thing, I don't want them pulling it way more eastward towards Valdosta or sending it out of SW GA towards Dothan.

Since it's possibly not coming to Tally or Leon County, I think I'll just hit the Mayor and head of the County Commission w/the letter. I also do Ausley since she's my rep. My Senator is that guy way down in Citrus County. Do you think I should write him or should send it to Lawson? Who is the Senator for Northern Leon and Northern Jeff. counties above I-10?

I'll also copy the Greek lady that is secretary of FDOT. I do like Greeks.

Finally do you think I should even include the Capital Regional Transportation Authority or should I just let our reps take it to them?

Electra? Electra? You sure w/a name like that, that she doesn't do adult films? Anyone got a picture of her?

Thanks again, that will be my project next week...tons of work this week, company here this weekend.

I know everyone from Tally has voiced their desire for it to go to Tally. That's understandable, just as I, in Pensacola, continue to be frustrated we can't seem to get the ball rolling to connect I-110 north to I65 and are left with a 4 lane highway weaving thru several of 30mph small towns at the north end of the county + a jog across another highway + another jog to get to a 4 lane section of I-65....for 450,000 (MSA) people to be evacuated from hurricanes. Pretty crazy really.

With all that said, if we were only going to get 1 interstate spur to the panhandle of Florida in the next 40 years, somewhere between Crestview/Panama City would not be a bad compromise at all, IMO. It would give evacuating traffic from either direction some options to thin out a little and, let's be honest, people coming from the north are probably more interested in the beaches between P'cola and Tally than riding into our cities. But I do know we are all champs for our cities and we recognize that getting such a spur inevitably means growth. So what makes more sense to serve the greater area probably isn't gonna fly politically in the end. Oh well. Unfortunately, with it running to Tally from a place like Columbus, I can't think of any reason a person west of Jackson County would find a beneficial reason to ever be on it. Same problem if it were over near me. Probably serves more over time to be in the middle if it's our only chance in a long while.

I know, I know...other Interstates are "planned". I've seen that a few hundred times in my life. Planned and done is two different things. If Tally gets this I'd venture to guess PC never gets one in our lifetime, Pcola will never get one, etc. And only one place is politically connected enough to make an unneeded multi-billion dollar medical college at the sacrifice of all other university programs (hint...it isn't UWF). So I'm going to predict you guys get a north route interstate like you got multi-million dollar flyover ramp rest areas (of all things) in the 1980's 20 years before such craziness was rampant.

I've seen the various arguments. PC only has 163,000. Tally has the huge MSA of 352,000. Crestview/FWB has the nothing 182,000. Pensacola MSA has the absolute joke of 453,000. Errr...what?

1) if we are talking about evacuating people: a) more hurricanes hit near P'cola than Tally by a large magnitude. b) more people to get out c) hmmm...beaches along the coast need to be evacuated or Tally City residents?

2) if we are talking about bringing people from the north: a) uhhhh...beaches. Not in Tally and only a couple in P'cola metro exactly. b) Navy and AFB supply routes...not exactly Tally. c) how do I get to PC or Destin or P'cola from NYC? Thru Tally? Don't joke with me.

3) if we are talking about this being the only realistic hope of a North/South interstate this century (probably): a) we serve lawyers trekking between Atlanta and Tally to further streamline making more new laws for both states' citizens to suffocate under. b) we watch the PC/FWB mega-area grow to 600,000 (350,000 now) and laugh as they try to escape. c) we get satisfied with our new interstate and growth and don't help Pensacola have any reasonable north route as it grows (next to the fastest growing Alabama counties BTW...not hard to predict) to maybe 800,000 in 20 years.

I really think the demand for this one to be in Tally is boosterism. I can admit my sorry backward red-headed-stepchild of the state city (Pensacola) sucks and probably deserves all the hate it can get for being so backwards and grows despite itself. But to say an interstate absolutely should terminate in Tally is a joke IMO. So what if the million living to your west are stupid in your opinion. They need a route out more than you.

plgt8 I liked your post and tone in the post you wrote about this in the Florida thread much better than this one. I'm also not a fan of how you pit Tally against P'cola. I'm for both cities getting an interstate to them, not one or the other. It's funny to read about Tally having connections b/c I'm sure most on these boards from Tally and the average citizen of Tally doesn't feel that way. The Capitol is in Tally and that is about as much of a connection as we get IMHO. Tally often feels that it's the red headed step child to the Peninsular cities!

Not sure how med. schools got into this discussion, but when you speak of unwanted med. schools are you talking about the new one coming in at UCF or Dade County's second one that FIU will be getting? Surely you can't be talking about the under-funded non-research hospital med school that FSU, one of the two Flagship Universities of FL, got can you? Another note, the flyover for US 319 was built in the 90's, not the 80's.....and this coming from a town w/an interstate spur to its downtown that we in Tally are so very jealous of.

Let's be honest, all of us west of I-75 in North Fl/Panhandle are the step-children of the State and we should unite in our efforts and be for each other, not against each other IMHO. I'm always a fan of P'cola in whatever endeavors they do and the connections between Tally and P'cola run deep...including members of the Tally board.

So let's get to the meat and quit flame-throwing.

You wanna know the real reason why I-185 may terminate in the Tally area? You think it's a grand conspiracy on the Tally political machine and it's connections. Have you read our recent post about it? NOTHING could be further from the truth. Tally politicians have really done nothing as far as we know on this endeavor. If we put this project in the hands of our leaders, it would never happen. It's really all b/c of Georgia's desire to stimulate the economy in SW GA by running an interstate through their most economically deprived areas and guess who just happens to be at the bottom of that area. If it were NOT for GA, trust me, this thing would not be happening.

As I've stated before w/my loose connections to FDOT/Turnpike, the I-10 connector is a separate project running from PC up to I-10, then Alabama has serious desires to run an interstate up to Dothan and then finally to Montgomery via Troy and Ozark. Again that is another state pushing w/FL to get this done. AL wants it to follow the US 231 rather than the US 431 (Cols. to Dothan route) b/c they get more traffic on US 231 and it serves the people of Alabama better b/c it links in the center of the state at MGM.

I absolutely think that P'cola deserves a route following US 29 to the border and the straight up to I-65. That should have happened by now. I, most folks on this board and even those that are "aware" in Tally would always be a booster of you getting this and ASAP. One reason for the stall is b/c AL has no real interest in it. I-65 runs right into their major city on the Gulf Coast, Mobile.

There use to be high interest in getting these P'cola and PC connectors done...long before Tally's I-185 connector was even talked about. However I saw the reports from FDOT and the PC connector believe it or not, ranked much higher in the priority. Crazy eh? Specially w/all the points you make about P'cola and FWB's metro pops. I really think the catalyst behind the PC connector is St. Joe Development. The PC connector would really help their projects in in Walton, Bay and Gulf counties much more than a P'cola connector and they are a powerful force w/in the state and have the ears of many politicians. If they can get an airport moved, surely they can get an expressway built. I've always thought the P'cola connector should rank higher than the PC one just based on population figures alone.

Finally as I always state, any new expressways in FL will now all be toll roads. It's the way the system is set-up these days, but while you may not like paying tolls, this allows more expressway to be built in the State, so we really don't have to pit these 3 connectors against each other. Now will any of these be built in our lifetimes...I wouldn't hold my breath and if Tally gets it connector, it will be due to the efforts of GA , not boosterism and political connections in Tally. Half the politicians in Tally from downstate have never heard of I-185, Columbus GA or even a spur coming this way.

I wish the best for you guys in your endeavor to get a I-65 spur. The State Rep. Sansom from Santa Rosa and Okaloosa counties will Leader of the House I believe for the next two years (IS THAT CORRECT GG?) and that would be a perfect time for NW FL politicians to push for this connector while they have a great connection.

Just my two cents on the subject. Happy to discuss this situation w/you anytime b/c you make some valid points, I just don't want to get into a pissing match between P'cola and Tally b/c I like both and it's crazy for us to war when we should be banning together for the betterment of the Panhandle and North Florida.

I couldn't agree more GG- Pelham will ABSOLUTELY be weighing in on this matter (if he hasn't already behind the scenes). You may not get through to him directly, but DCA does have some good staffers/counsel and a letter from a concerned citizen would probably find its way on to someone's desk.

As for enlisting the assistance of the local reps- I doubt seriously that they would make this a big agenda item as they slowly exit stage left. That being said, Loranne would probably be the best bet so long as you can frame the issue as vital to the future of the city of Tallahassee (emphasis on things like that are important for people planning to run for mayor.......ah, but I guess that's fodder for the political forum). For that matter, you might also work on Commissioner Gillum :whistling:

Finally, and this is not necessarily on-topic but more for clarification: the name I post under is Josef K, not Jose ;) Just a little way to pay homage to my favorite literary character, and one who I think might fit in well with the rest of us trying to understand the development decisions made by our own bureaucracy) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trial :shades:

plgt8 I liked your post and tone in the post you wrote about this in the Florida thread much better than this one. I'm also not a fan of how you pit Tally against P'cola. I'm for both cities getting an interstate to them, not one or the other. It's funny to read about Tally having connections b/c I'm sure most on these boards from Tally and the average citizen of Tally doesn't feel that way. The Capitol is in Tally and that is about as much of a connection as we get IMHO. Tally often feels that it's the red headed step child to the Peninsular cities!

Not sure how med. schools got into this discussion, but when you speak of unwanted med. schools are you talking about the new one coming in at UCF or Dade County's second one that FIU will be getting? Surely you can't be talking about the under-funded non-research hospital med school that FSU, one of the two Flagship Universities of FL, got can you? Another note, the flyover for US 319 was built in the 90's, not the 80's.....and this coming from a town w/an interstate spur to its downtown that we in Tally are so very jealous of.

Let's be honest, all of us west of I-75 in North Fl/Panhandle are the step-children of the State and we should unite in our efforts and be for each other, not against each other IMHO. I'm always a fan of P'cola in whatever endeavors they do and the connections between Tally and P'cola run deep...including members of the Tally board.

So let's get to the meat and quit flame-throwing.

You wanna know the real reason why I-185 may terminate in the Tally area? You think it's a grand conspiracy on the Tally political machine and it's connections. Have you read our recent post about it? NOTHING could be further from the truth. Tally politicians have really done nothing as far as we know on this endeavor. If we put this project in the hands of our leaders, it would never happen. It's really all b/c of Georgia's desire to stimulate the economy in SW GA by running an interstate through their most economically deprived areas and guess who just happens to be at the bottom of that area. If it were NOT for GA, trust me, this thing would not be happening.

As I've stated before w/my loose connections to FDOT/Turnpike, the I-10 connector is a separate project running from PC up to I-10, then Alabama has serious desires to run an interstate up to Dothan and then finally to Montgomery via Troy and Ozark. Again that is another state pushing w/FL to get this done. AL wants it to follow the US 231 rather than the US 431 (Cols. to Dothan route) b/c they get more traffic on US 231 and it serves the people of Alabama better b/c it links in the center of the state at MGM.

I absolutely think that P'cola deserves a route following US 29 to the border and the straight up to I-65. That should have happened by now. I, most folks on this board and even those that are "aware" in Tally would always be a booster of you getting this and ASAP. One reason for the stall is b/c AL has no real interest in it. I-65 runs right into their major city on the Gulf Coast, Mobile.

There use to be high interest in getting these P'cola and PC connectors done...long before Tally's I-185 connector was even talked about. However I saw the reports from FDOT and the PC connector believe it or not, ranked much higher in the priority. Crazy eh? Specially w/all the points you make about P'cola and FWB's metro pops. I really think the catalyst behind the PC connector is St. Joe Development. The PC connector would really help their projects in in Walton, Bay and Gulf counties much more than a P'cola connector and they are a powerful force w/in the state and have the ears of many politicians. If they can get an airport moved, surely they can get an expressway built. I've always thought the P'cola connector should rank higher than the PC one just based on population figures alone.

Finally as I always state, any new expressways in FL will now all be toll roads. It's the way the system is set-up these days, but while you may not like paying tolls, this allows more expressway to be built in the State, so we really don't have to pit these 3 connectors against each other. Now will any of these be built in our lifetimes...I wouldn't hold my breath and if Tally gets it connector, it will be due to the efforts of GA , not boosterism and political connections in Tally. Half the politicians in Tally from downstate have never heard of I-185, Columbus GA or even a spur coming this way.

I wish the best for you guys in your endeavor to get a I-65 spur. The State Rep. Sansom from Santa Rosa and Okaloosa counties will Leader of the House I believe for the next two years (IS THAT CORRECT GG?) and that would be a perfect time for NW FL politicians to push for this connector while they have a great connection.

Just my two cents on the subject. Happy to discuss this situation w/you anytime b/c you make some valid points, I just don't want to get into a pissing match between P'cola and Tally b/c I like both and it's crazy for us to war when we should be banning together for the betterment of the Panhandle and North Florida.

Archived