I-185 Extension

Florida

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I greatly appreciate the compliment bhdr!

plgt8 I actually was afraid that I might have been too harsh in my response to you. Glad to know it didn't come across that way. I wasn't upset w/what you said, I was more astonished that someone would see Tally has a "favorite child" of FL. We certainly don't feel that way over here.

I understand your frustrations and it has helped me a lot in my frustrations w/Tally to have others that live here that enjoy discussing these types of things. I wish Pensacola had a room like we do here in Tally. You guys are bigger than us, so it looks like there should be at least some folks from P'cola to FWB willing to chat here. Heck at least they could make you a sub-room in the Mobile threads.

Please feel free to discuss things w/us any time you'd like. You can also make a few threads in the Florida room and many folks from the Tally area will chime in b/c many are very familiar w/points west of here.

Thanks again. Yes it'd be nice if there were more people in the greater area interested in development in general and active on the web to share the pain with (ha ha). I've noticed on some of the other sites that deal with similar issues as urbanplanet, that dedicated forums for this area (even if you include all the way to Panama City) have a hard time being sustainable from a combination of lack of interest and/or lack of (or painfully slow) development news. This area, IMO, also has a pretty strange combo of culture considering it is economically depressed in most ways, yet supposedly majority economically conservative, yet a seemingly large majority of people who either radically oppose any effort to improve things or disregard the subject completely as if living out a Jimmy Buffet song. ;) Pretty strange dynamic of things that don't seem like they'd fit together really.

Every rare now and then I will chime in on those boards if something is up. Being that my livelihood is CAD drawing on commercial projects between here and Mississippi, you might would think I'd be pretty in touch with all the latest goings-ons and have enough sources to keep such a forum going on my own. But the truth is I get so bogged down in my own little projects that I find myself being the last to know about a lot of local stuff that happens beyond the computer. With the way things have slowed over the past year, I wouldn't expect to see more area residents crawling out of the woodworks to post, but I'd love it if they would.

Anyway, I'll try to post new stuff that comes up for the area in the main Florida thread as it happens and when time allows. Take care.

Hey guys, thanks to aboutmetro I found this webpage concerning the I-185 extension. Aboutmetro raises the question of why Florida isn't involved in this process and I am in definite agreement w/him........why aren't we?

I know the interstate will only run a few miles in our state, but w/our metro being the terminus of the location and our metro having just about as many people in it as the whole area between here and Columbus, GA, I'd like to think we are pretty important player in this decision process.

Tell me please who I should write to ask if we are involved or not in this process. City/County Commission? Jefferson County b/c that is the county the want it come through? DOT? Capital Regional Transportation people...you know Harry Reid and his bunch that believe I-10 isn't and should not be used for local commuting?

Bottom line: we are fools to just sit back and let this happen w/out being involved in it to some degree.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the info and link a-metro. Looks like I-185 coming this direction is becoming more of a possibility. Of course through no efforts by Tally. Last I heard, PC was moving again on the toll road that will link them w/I-10 then Dothan and finally Montgomery. Since that route is being planned, it makes I-185 coming to Tally more realistic. Also I wouldn't be surprised if the last leg of I-185 in FL is a toll road.

Archived