I-185 Extension

Florida

Thanks for the interesting update on Cols mitchella81. I knew exciting things were happening there. Now you guys need to send us I-185. I remember when there was no I-185 and Cols was rather isolated in terms of four lane road, 431, 280 and 27 for the most part were 2 lanes. Anyway, we all hope our cities can be connected one day via a new interstate......just don't send us that AFLAC duck. :) Or is that a goose?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I dont think theres enough going on in the non-metro areas of Georgia to say their economic development is surpassing ours. And for the most part, the "Usual Suspects" getting these new ED Engines helps keep the entire state going, and a lot of credit should go to the county/city leaders for doing that.

A few non "usual suspects" I know off the top of my head would be that E-1 (Emergency One, they build fire trucks) chose to stay in Ocala rather than moving out of state. CSX (if the DCA approves) will be opening a new facility/train yard in Lakeland. East Orlando (away from downtown/tourist areas) is looking to become a major medical haven in the state.

Georgia is doing good things, and their prosperity actually helps us, but they're not on the same level as Florida.

Interstate UPdate

22-14-81_Combined.JPG

Phase I - Est. Length: 185 miles

Phase II - Est. Length: 75 miles

Benefits: Homeland Security, Economic Growth, Environmental/Fuel, Population Centers, Evacuation Route

Phase I Connecting: GA: Atlanta (via I-85), Columbus. AL: Dothan. FL: Panama City, Tallahassee (via I-10).

Phase II Connecting: GA: Atlanta, LaGrange, Columbus. Newnan, Carrollton, Rome. TN: Chattanooga, Knoxville (via co-routing overlay with I-75)

A route that favors Albany would favor Tallahassee more except for the fact that Albany may have gotten itself involved with a route that travels to the east GA coast rather than south to Florida.

Hey FL, what's your source for this map?

I have seen it before along w/a few other variations. I can tell you it's all subjective and much of these routes aren't even funded or even much talked about outside of UP junkies like ourselves. I've read and heard much more concrete evidence of the I-185 alignment from Cols to Tlh than I have about most of these routes.

Bottom line: Who knows what will actually happen in our lifetimes w/these and other proposed routes. My suggestion would be to have strong leadership from Tally to get our name in the game and work to have the I-185 route come here. Now the $64k question is who in Tally is our strong leader for something like this? Surely not the logical choice: the head of our Regional Transportation Agency that thinks I-10 should not have anymore exits or be used for commuting purposes???

I have seen it before along w/a few other variations. I can tell you it's all subjective and much of these routes aren't even funded or even much talked about outside of UP junkies like ourselves. I've read and heard much more concrete evidence of the I-185 alignment from Cols to Tlh than I have about most of these routes.

Bottom line: Who knows what will actually happen in our lifetimes w/these and other proposed routes. My suggestion would be to have strong leadership from Tally to get our name in the game and work to have the I-185 route come here. Now the $64k question is who in Tally is our strong leader for something like this? Surely not the logical choice: the head of our Regional Transportation Agency that thinks I-10 should not have anymore exits or be used for commuting purposes???

• 2 weeks later...

The Montgomery - Dothan - Panama City route is touted as I-67...

Per http://www.interstate-guide.com/future.html#067:

"The Interstate 67 designation has been considered for the following potential routings. The first is U.S. 231 in Alabama and Florida. Alabama DOT has proposed an Interstate-grade highway parallel to U.S. 231 between Interstate 10 near Cottondale, Florida, and Montgomery, Alabama, via Dothan, Ozark, and Troy. At Montgomery, the freeway may turn west to Interstate 65, follow Alabama 271 to Interstate 85, or follow Alabama 271, go past Interstate 85, and loop around Montgomery to the north. According to Phil Holley, Florida DOT is doing a feasibility study on three alternatives, all of which would overlay Florida 79 from U.S. 98 about five or six miles northward to the village of West Bay. From there, the route recommended by FDOT's consultant, referred to as Alternative B, would run east-northeast for about 20 miles, to about five miles west of Youngstown, then generally north through eastern Washington and northwestern Jackson Counties. It would cross Interstate 10 between Chipley and Cottondale, and hit the state line somewhere northeast of Graceville and northwest of Campbellton. Total length in Florida would be about 72 miles, cost around $710 million, and completion date no earlier than 2010. A toll facility is not being considered. A website, Save Dothan, pitches the idea of routing this proposed freeway through Dothan rather than around it."

Archived