Columbus/PC Intown

aboutmetro

Not too familiar with Columbus yet, but I saw this article in the Ledger-Enquirer...

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/392/story/730810.html

Looks like a downtown restaurant is getting a makeover. Was Tavern of Broadway any good or is it not really a big loss that the restaurant is changing? From the article it appears the same owners will be in charge, just serving Thai food instead. This sounds exciting to me that a downtown place is getting a makeover and that it will be bringing in a style of food that probably is not typically found in Columbus. Are there any other Thai places in town?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too familiar with Columbus yet, but I saw this article in the Ledger-Enquirer...

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/392/story/730810.html

Looks like a downtown restaurant is getting a makeover. Was Tavern of Broadway any good or is it not really a big loss that the restaurant is changing? From the article it appears the same owners will be in charge, just serving Thai food instead. This sounds exciting to me that a downtown place is getting a makeover and that it will be bringing in a style of food that probably is not typically found in Columbus. Are there any other Thai places in town?

Lots of Thai places around the city. Thai House is amazing.

Lots of Thai places around the city. Thai House is amazing.

Was Tavern on Broadway or whatever this used to be any good? Just curious if this restaurant was getting an upgrade or if Columbus was losing something good with this change of menu.

Was Tavern on Broadway or whatever this used to be any good? Just curious if this restaurant was getting an upgrade or if Columbus was losing something good with this change of menu.

I enjoyed the food when I went there. Just a sign of the economy I guess. I would consider it a nice restaurant. If you are looking for good food downtown, check out The Market (think that's the name). Haven't been but I hear it is amazing.

I enjoyed the food when I went there. Just a sign of the economy I guess. I would consider it a nice restaurant. If you are looking for good food downtown, check out The Market (think that's the name). Haven't been but I hear it is amazing.

My parents live in Auburn and went to The Market before it moved downtown. We are from Mobile originally and they said the fish/seafood options were good, so i take that as a good sign (if we know anything, it is seafood). It was BYOB at its old location, but I think when they moved downtown they were able to get a liquor license and serve their own alcohol now. I have heard nothing but good things about it and look forward to going when we get moved up there June 12th. I have already done Dinglewood Scramble Dog, Smokey Pig BBQ, and The Cannon Brewpub with our friends/real estate agents. We are real big into local business/restaurants so we get excited everytime something new opens.

• 2 weeks later...

Story in the Saturday edition of the LE discusses possibilities of entertainment on the river. The Convention/Visitors Bureau rode the river considering different options for using the river itself for entertainment. THe article mentions previous attempts at riverboats/dinner cruises and the potential for giving that another try. It also talks about the potential for ecotourism (kayaking, canoing, river tours, etc).

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/740907.html

It takes a special situation for the river cruises to work. Montgomery seems to do ok with it, but in Mobile we had a paddle boat followed by a yacht that did dinner crusises and niether seemed to do well. Maybe because most of Mobile's downtown riverfront is industrial/port related and that is not particularily fun to look at. The eco tours/outdoors stuff I think definitely has some legs. My college roomate from AU and his kayaking buddied came to Columbus pretty regular to kayak at some places near downtown Columbus. He also drove to Tallasee to a spot on the Tallapoosa. With so few good options for kayaking, people definitely travel to the places that have these spots. Mobile just got a delta park where people can take airboat tours of the delta, rent kayaks/canoes, bird watch, etc. I guess the eco-tours thing can work in certain places, but I'm not sure of people on the chattahochee would be interested in that kind of thing. It will be interesting to see if either of these ideas really goes anywhere.

• 2 months later...

Article from the LE on a new downtown campus bookstore for CSU. The store will sell the usual campus bookstore merchandise (textbooks, supplies, CSU apparel, etc). The new store will be located in the Rankin Building at 1004 Broadway (down by Fountain City Coffee). I think the more CSU presence downtown, the better. People need a reason to come downtown. The more people CSU can give a reason to come downtown, the more business we will see locate nearby. Hopefully this bookstore does well and serves the students down there.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/802306.html

Article from the LE on a new downtown campus bookstore for CSU. The store will sell the usual campus bookstore merchandise (textbooks, supplies, CSU apparel, etc). The new store will be located in the Rankin Building at 1004 Broadway (down by Fountain City Coffee). I think the more CSU presence downtown, the better. People need a reason to come downtown. The more people CSU can give a reason to come downtown, the more business we will see locate nearby. Hopefully this bookstore does well and serves the students down there.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/802306.html

I totally agree. That new Thai restaurant also opened downtown a few weeks ago. The new YMCA, which looks awesome, should be opening downtown soon too.

An article from te LE today about the Historic Planning Commission seeking out information from residents to improve the city's historic districts. It has been shone time and time again that placing an emphasis on these districts leads to increased property values and an all around improvement in the community. Hoepfully some of yall will participate in the surey and provide the board with some insight into the communities thoughts.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/806437.html

An article from te LE today about the Historic Planning Commission seeking out information from residents to improve the city's historic districts. It has been shone time and time again that placing an emphasis on these districts leads to increased property values and an all around improvement in the community. Hoepfully some of yall will participate in the surey and provide the board with some insight into the communities thoughts.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/806437.html

Is there a link to the survey itself?

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

From today's LE

Outside World Outfitters opening new store DT in 1000 block of Broadway. Said to be largest selection of canoes and kayaks south of Atlanta. Announcement tied in part to finalization (finally!) of plans for Whitewater. Whitewater Project on target with dams set to be demolished next year and course to be open by late 2012. Store opens in a month with offical grand opening Oct 22-23.

Rumors persist of Bass Pro Shop for the area. Several real estate sources say the company has been scouting for locales. Company will neither confirm nor deny. Tho it may not be the usual locale for a PBS, I think locating it DT would be great idea. The vacant parcel by bridge at 13th and Broadway (old timers like me remember it as the site of the 6-7 story Swift building) would be perfect. In the alternative, the site of the late lamented Bibb Mill would be a serious option -- as that area of river will be the put-in site for entering the course.

Now that there is a semi-dependable timetable for whitewater, hope that ideas that have been floating around for a while -- PBS, new hotel, retail at E&P Condos, restaurants, etc -- wil start to be announced. If the timeline is for the course to open in late 2012, there will need to be some dirt start to fly for some of the bigger projects to be on hand for opening.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is random... but i see a great deal of potential in a huge surface lot across the street from the Eagle and Phenix Mills Condominium development, along with the land around the old Country's Barbecue. I believe that if the economy improved, and Columbus had the market to facilitate it, some good vertical development could go there. In my opinion, it should be more residential - i.e. luxury condo complex with a grocery store on its primary level, a small Savannah-like square and a few white table cloth restaurants and retail. I don't know... just throwing out something I've been holding onto to get this topic going again. ;)

Any new developments going on in this part of town?

I know this is random... but i see a great deal of potential in a huge surface lot across the street from the Eagle and Phenix Mills Condominium development, along with the land around the old Country's Barbecue. I believe that if the economy improved, and Columbus had the market to facilitate it, some good vertical development could go there. In my opinion, it should be more residential - i.e. luxury condo complex with a grocery store on its primary level, a small Savannah-like square and a few white table cloth restaurants and retail. I don't know... just throwing out something I've been holding onto to get this topic going again. ;)

Any new developments going on in this part of town?

I would like to see a high-rise hotel go in that area. That would help to bring additional convention business and keep more people downtown. Another 250+ room hotel (10-12 stories) would be perfect for that area.

I would like to see a high-rise hotel go in that area. That would help to bring additional convention business and keep more people downtown. Another 250+ room hotel (10-12 stories) would be perfect for that area.

OH You know what... I didn't even stop to think about that! They only have like one good hotel downtown -- the Marriott. The three others are more motels than hotels... I think a nice Hyatt or Hilton would be appropriate. Though, I doubt that there is a market for it, given that downtown Columbus still does not have the amount of attractions that would support a luxury hotel development. Maybe I'm just thinking strictly in terms of tourism, conventions, and regional events... I feel like there is a lot more to consider as well. If downtown had a substantially larger resident population, then there would be more interest in retail, entertainment, and mixed use development.

I've attached some potential sites for infill development... =) They could be used (depending upon their size and location) for:

Parking Decks

Vertical Mixed Use (i.e. grocery/restaurants/retail on ground floors, condos/apartments upper floors)

Retail

Hotels

Office Space

Restaurants/Cafes/Pubs

I believe that the brownfield on the riverfront (the largest parcel highlighted on the map) could potentially support a mixed use development. It would be even more attractive if they added a segment of the riverwalk through there. Depending upon the design, landscaping, and purpose... it could be quite romantic.

post-21951-0-36661400-1294872501_thumb.j

OH You know what... I didn't even stop to think about that! They only have like one good hotel downtown -- the Marriott. The three others are more motels than hotels... I think a nice Hyatt or Hilton would be appropriate. Though, I doubt that there is a market for it, given that downtown Columbus still does not have the amount of attractions that would support a luxury hotel development. Maybe I'm just thinking strictly in terms of tourism, conventions, and regional events... I feel like there is a lot more to consider as well. If downtown had a substantially larger resident population, then there would be more interest in retail, entertainment, and mixed use development.

I think downtown Columbus could support another luxury hotel. Once the whitewater project is finished, BRAC is officially in place, and more businesses locate downtown, I could see the demand. Columbus needs to focus on more mixed-use developments. Columbus could learn from Greenville, SC. The convention center has grown a lot here in the last 5 years. It is time for Columbus to think big. Build up instead of out.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was a mistake to have not built a hotel as part of the Trade Center expansion toward the River. A riverside hotel integrated with the Ironworks (I refuse to use the Council's dumbed-down generic name) would have awesome views. At the least, they should have build a cross walk over to the Marriott or whatever it is now.

Archived