Rail in Savannah

iluvcport

Do you think some type of rail transportation would benefit Savannah? I think a system could work here primarily with a line basically replacing the 14 Abercorn bus. As well as exploring other options such as an express train linking the airport with downtown. Post you comments and opinions on this.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't doubt what you're saying, but as a native Savannahian, I can tell you that light rail simply won't be built here. As it stands now, there would be no support for the tax increase it would take to build such a system. Chatham County is overtaxed as it is now, plus we simply don't have the population base to make light rail remotely viable here.

People here still remember the boondoggle race track on Hutchison Island, built with taxpayer funds. I'd fear light rail would be a more expensive one.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe not an LRT, because Savannah is a fairly compact city... but a trolley for the historic district like New Orleans or San Francisco is not out of the question. Savannah is in a unique position as the trend of reinvestment in urban places continues because most of its housing stock is still available. You could easily increase density in and around downtown without building any new housing and just fixing what is there.... transit then wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Unfortunately, in Savannah's immediate future, I don't see any light rail around here. I'm a bit more optimistic about the next 50 years though. I believe our area would benefit EXTREMELY well with light rail going from Downtown Savannah to places like Tybee Island, Savannah Int'l Airport and possibly places like Hilton Head or even Statesboro. The latter most likely wouldn't fly until the next half century however. I guess it all really depends on growth patterns. ...I do believe in the long run, though, development between Statesboro/Brooklet and Bloomingdale/Guyton will come closer to merging. That'll take a long while though. Not in my lifetime.

Archived