Election '08: Republican Primary

JDC

'08 Republican Presidential Candidates  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Select the GOP candidate for whom you would be most likely to vote.

• Rudy Giuliani
    • Mike Huckabee
    • Duncan Hunter
    • John McCain
    • Ron Paul
    • Mitt Romney
    • Tom Tancredo
    • Fred Thompson

It's not as if we're going to accurately predict who will win the nomination with the number of folks on this site, so vote even if you're not planning on voting in the GOP primary. Keep in mind this is a poll for whom YOU would vote, not necessarily who you think will actually win. :thumbsup:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a dime's difference in any of these candidates---except Ron Paul. If you like all the ludicrous Bush wars, then vote for any of the other Reps.

Ron Paul is the Republican candidate of change, and that is precisely why the corrupt American media ignores him.

The media has already chosen the two final candidates, and the two are both status quo. Why even bother with primaries, since the media has already chosen Hillary and Rudi for us?

At this point, Clinton and Guiliani are the clear media favorites, but these things can change very sudenly. Keep in mind that at this point in the '04 election cycle the media had all but nominate Howard Dean. Both Guiliani and Clinton hold very narrow leads over their rivals, and even a minor misstep could cause them a lot of grief in the primaries.

As for the Republican field, I agree with the above about Ron Paul. He is the only one of these candidates I would even remotely consider voting for. He gained a lot of respect from me when he had the nerve to state what everyone with a basic understanding of international politics knows: that 9/11 was a direct result of US foreign policy. I can't believe that six years later, no one else in mainstream politics is willing to even look at that basic and obvious fact.

I certainly hope the Republicans nominate Guiliani. He has nothing to campaign on other than 9/11, and even his image on that is more myth than reality. Beyond that, Guiliani is basically a pro-choice, pro-gay-rights George Bush with more personal scandals. I really don't see how he is supposed to appeal to either the Republican base or undecided voters in a general election.

Just wanted to point something out: Ron Paul is a libertarian that only differs from other libertarians in that he's a registered Republican, and only did so in order to gain his current congressional seat in the decidedly Republican Brazoria County, Texas.

Somehow thinking that Libertarianism is some sort of glorious new revolution in political thought is just short-sighted. Personally, I like some of his positions, but also feel like this country is in no way ready for Libertarianism, nor do I think that it's anymore feasible off of paper than any other utopianist political ideology (like Communism).

Vote for him if you'd like, but don't necessarily believe hype and allow a candidate to simply buy your vote with clever marketing. That's just as bad, if not worse, than how the mainstream candidates operate.

^Oh, I agree with that completely. I chose Paul simply because I have far more respect for him than for any of the other Republican candidates. His comments on 9/11 and Iraq show that he isn't a neoconservative stooge. So far, despite making an effort to distance themselves from Bush, all the other candidates have pretty much agreed with him on most issues.

Like I said, he's the only GOP candidate I'd even remotely consider voting for. Still, the Democrats would have to do something incredibly stupid between now and November for me to consider that an option.

The roster on both sides of the aisle is grim so far. Ron Paul is interesting, even if he has had to package himself in a certain way to get elected in Texas. For all his faults, he is not for the status quo. This in itself might be a recommendation. Our country has got itself into a quagmire of partisanship which isn't good at all. Reading the comment section in the Washington Post today about the bomb threat at the Hillary headquarters in Rochester, New Hampshire, I was appalled at the lack of basic civility displayed by both stripes. I'm as far as you can get from being a Hillary supporter, but many of the sentiments there made my hair stand on edge. Throughout the media, civility has been driven over with a Mack truck flying the banners of network ratings. To return to the subject at hand, it also disturbs me that Kucinich and Paul have both been dismissed by the mainstream media as kooks without any meaningful analysis of their views.

My view on guys like Kucinich and Paul is that, they bring new ideas to the table. They bring something that is not just same old status quo. Instead of partisan bickering and sucking up to a party line, we got people who think outside of a set mind frame. And while I may not agree with a particular issue or 10, at least I want to give someone new a chance to bring in new ideas. We know things aren't going well, so why bring people who will do the exact same thing and think similar to previous administrations? At least, if we bring in a Paul or a Kucinich, we give them a chance to do something new and if they fail... well, at least we tried it out.

Hopefully that wasn't incoherent rambling there and someone got it.

Trying not to be negative, but I couldn't say it any better. I just can't trust anything the guy says... on the YouTube debate, he was by far, the biggest panderer on stage... a complete opportunistic, panderer.

I kind of like Huckabee... I'm not a conservative, but I like his personality... he's pretty straight ahead, and you get the sense he is who he's always been. He's the best speaker of the group.

I doubt I'd vote for the GOP, but I picked McCain simply because I respect the hell out of the man, plain and simple. He's straight-forward and honest, has a history of loyal public service to this country far exceeding the others, and I believe he has a solid track-record in working across party lines (McCain-Feingold Act) for the betterment of the country.

Just wanted to point something out: Ron Paul is a libertarian that only differs from other libertarians in that he's a registered Republican, and only did so in order to gain his current congressional seat in the decidedly Republican Brazoria County, Texas.

Somehow thinking that Libertarianism is some sort of glorious new revolution in political thought is just short-sighted. Personally, I like some of his positions, but also feel like this country is in no way ready for Libertarianism, nor do I think that it's anymore feasible off of paper than any other utopianist political ideology (like Communism).

Vote for him if you'd like, but don't necessarily believe hype and allow a candidate to simply buy your vote with clever marketing. That's just as bad, if not worse, than how the mainstream candidates operate.

ron paul and dennis kucinich are the only candidates who are bringing something completely different to the table...

The only 2 candidates worth voting for, in my opinion, would be ron paul and dennis kucinich. i'll be voting in the democratic primary and voting for kucinich. he may not have a chance in hell, but he's more than worthy of my vote. this country cannot afford to continue with the status quo.

Mike Huckabee has come on strong, and now leads in Iowa, SC and Georgia. He also barely leads in the overall poll. He came out of nowhere and really took Thompson's role, I think he appears to be the most honest, and should have the backing to win if he gets through Iowa and NH.

Mike Huckabee has come on strong, and now leads in Iowa, SC and Georgia. He also barely leads in the overall poll. He came out of nowhere and really took Thompson's role, I think he appears to be the most honest, and should have the backing to win if he gets through Iowa and NH.

I would never vote Republican but if someone threw a bag over my head and dragged me kicking and screaming into a booth I would vote for McCain because I admire his maverick streak and willingness to buck his party orthodoxy. The mainstream media always trys to find a "Cinderalla" each election cycle. Huckabee is this year's flavor and I think he is all a facade. He shows this folksy manner to the public and claims to be "conservative but not angry about it". Except he believes that AIDS patients should be quarantined and being gay is akin to alcoholism and criminality. He also does not believe in Evolution. What an embarassment of a President he would be. We are already falling behind in global competitiveness when it comes to education, we might as well give up if he wins. His positions make him the darling of the Christian Right. They are not General Election winning platforms. He will pretend to moderate and try and move to the center if he is nominated but I think Clinton or Obama would wipe the floor with him.

The mainstream media always trys to find a "Cinderalla" each election cycle. Huckabee is this year's flavor and I think he is all a facade. He shows this folksy manner to the public and claims to be "conservative but not angry about it". Except he believes that AIDS patients should be quarantined and being gay is akin to alcoholism and criminality. He also does not believe in Evolution. What an embarassment of a President he would be.

The upcoming Republican caucuses and primaries might prove to be quite a side show. Iowa and New Hampshire voters have a kooky tendancy to vote for outlandish candidates.

In 1988 another Baptist preacher, Pat Robertson, came in second place in the Iowa causes. In 1992 the right-wing nut case Pat Buchanan won the N.H. primary over the sitting president, George H.W. Bush.

Gov.Hucklebury is definitely surging in the polls, and personally I would love to see him pull off these first two contests. Anything to discredit the moribund Republican party is right up my alley.:)

The only reason I would consider voting for Huckabee is that he is pushing the Fair Tax. Outside of that I couldn't vote for any politician who wears his or her religion on his or her sleave.

I hope more people warm to the Fair Tax, that would be one governmental reform that would benefit everyone. For those don't know about it, it is a tax on goods and services instead of it coming out of your pay check. You could get rid of the IRS or at least downsize it to a small agency. You would get rid of all the tax forms and complicated regulations. I doubt this will ever happen, as both parties are dead set against it.

Archived