Election '08: Republican Primary

JDC

'08 Republican Presidential Candidates  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Select the GOP candidate for whom you would be most likely to vote.

• Rudy Giuliani
    • Mike Huckabee
    • Duncan Hunter
    • John McCain
    • Ron Paul
    • Mitt Romney
    • Tom Tancredo
    • Fred Thompson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Guliani is in free-fall, and apparently without a parachute. In national polls he has gone from heir-apparent to a struggling also-ran.

The man who held commanding leads for months is now dead even with Romney, a candidate seen as a front runner by the media only~ And Hucklebury Finn is just a few percentage points behind.

The Republicans have gone from a liberal NYC queer-loving man (with mistresses) to a bland, colorless, lousy rock musician/fundamentalist preacher! It's looking more like a side show in the circus as each day goes by. Now where are the hoochie-coochie dancers?

Guiliani is looking to take the lead once the primary moves to Florida. He is in the lead there. More people will vote in that state than all of the previous primaries and caucuses combined. The thing about the Iowa and New Hampshire caucus is the people who actually vote in these things wouldn't fill a football stadium.

I have not decided who will get my vote in January.

While I like a lot of what Giuliani stands for and being that he is more open minded than many of the other Republican Candidates, there is something about him that makes me not want to trust him.

Romney

I agree completely, but does anyone else see the irony that of the GOP candidates, the "liberal-minded" choice is the only one who is calling for significant reductions in the size and power of the federal government? What happened to the notion of "big government liberals" and the conservative desire to have government out of people's lives?

i was actually reading some stuff today that said that ron paul isn't this libertarian hero that everyone is making him out to be. in fact, he's pro-life, he just doesn't feel it's up to the federal gov't to tell the states what to do. i'll have to try to dig that up again.

Wow... and here Rudy says that he is pro-choice and that they should leave it up to the states. (But would want to appoint a pro-life surpreme court, after all the president has ZERO say in abortion... it is the Supreme Court that will have the say)

All I know is that we are all crazy to think that one person will save or destroy this country. Regardless of whom gets in, some will like it, some will not. Their success will be in how effective they are at getting things done that will not drastically change the day to day lives of most Americans.

Wow... and here Rudy says that he is pro-choice and that they should leave it up to the states. (But would want to appoint a pro-life surpreme court, after all the president has ZERO say in abortion... it is the Supreme Court that will have the say)

All I know is that we are all crazy to think that one person will save or destroy this country. Regardless of whom gets in, some will like it, some will not. Their success will be in how effective they are at getting things done that will not drastically change the day to day lives of most Americans.

what i don't understand is how they can hold a debate and invite only those candidates they wish to have in the debate. someone could easily hold a democratic debate and only invite hillary, obama, and john edwards (or even leave him out). how much credibility does a debate have if they don't have all of the candidates?

The GOP establishment is simply aghast of the fact the Huckabee has won Iowa. I am not sure why they are surprised. There really isn't much left in the GOP now except for the evangelicals, and the vote reflected that. It's a scary thought this is the reason that someone might be nominated to be president. Definately a bad day for McCain, Thompson and most of all Romney.

Wow, three months ago who would have thought Gov. Hucklebury could pull this off!

Romney went all out, and still got his superficial butt kicked. Not only did he lose a lot of legitimacy in Iowa, but he also lost a lot of money.

To thoroughly splinter the party, I would love to see Ron Paul win in New Hampshire. From a thinly veiled theocrat winning Iowa, to a thinly veiled Libertarian winning in New England----how much more trouble could the GOP find itself in?

I think after tonight, Fred Thompson should officially be a non-issue. How long can he keep showing up to events and debates and look this terrible? Especially with Huckabee running up on his voting block.

Romney won Wyoming today, if that matters much.

Anyone else want to agree with me here that Romney, McCain, and Guiliani will be essentially status quo. No domestic agenda, and all this beating over the head with national security and terrorism and the war with Iraq. It's the Bush gameplan all over again, or at least I'm getting that vibe. Anyone else? And how can anyone vote for that? Seriously, without being an idiot suckered into fear mongering.

Huckabee, I give a lot of credit to. He's actually rising above the fighting and non-sense and speaks so well his agenda and his views, which are new direction to the GOP. Too bad he's bedfellows with the religious wing, but even with that he's the second best Republican IMO in the field right now.

Anyone else want to agree with me here that Romney, McCain, and Guiliani will be essentially status quo. No domestic agenda, and all this beating over the head with national security and terrorism and the war with Iraq. It's the Bush gameplan all over again, or at least I'm getting that vibe. Anyone else? And how can anyone vote for that? Seriously, without being an idiot suckered into fear mongering.

Well I certainly I agree with you Lowerdeck.

Maybe some people need to be hit in the head with a boulder to realize this~~NOTHING would change with a President Romney. or a President Guiliani. or a President McCain or Thompson. I would even say a President Hillary Clinton would essentially be the same Bush malarky.

It's all about frightening the American people, telling lies to start unjust wars, wasting trillions of dollars, wasting precious human lives. And who benefits? No one, except the Military Industrial Complex, Big Oil and unscrupulous corporate fat cats.

God, Thompson looks just horrible these days.

It is said that political candidates have "a base". What is Thompson's base--dumb people?

Check out this short clip of President Nixon's comments of Thompson, when Thompson was a young Senate staffer at the time (in the early 1970s) You'll hear Nixon on one of his infamous tapes, saying Fred Thompson is "dumb as hell". :) hehhee

Archived