Election '08: Primaries

JDC

^ A ticket of two one-term senators would be the best ticket? Take Rudy, Romney or Huckabee - three Republicans who have actually run something like a city or a state - and they'll tear an Edwards/Obama ticket to shreds. Only twice in the last 100 years have the American people elected a senator to the White House (Warren Harding and John Kennedy). Executive experience matters, and if we nominate Edwards, Obama or Clinton, don't be surprised when the Republicans use that to their advantage.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ A ticket of two one-term senators would be the best ticket? Take Rudy, Romney or Huckabee - three Republicans who have actually run something like a city or a state - and they'll tear an Edwards/Obama ticket to shreds. Only twice in the last 100 years have the American people elected a senator to the White House (Warren Harding and John Kennedy). Executive experience matters, and if we nominate Edwards, Obama or Clinton, don't be surprised when the Republicans use that to their advantage.

Huckabee doesnt really have any experience in dealing with international affairs and in the times we live in today, we have to have someone that has some experience and the three top democratic candidates have. All three top democratic candidates, especially Hillary Clinton and John Edwards have laid out more detailed plans for what they will do in Iraq. I havent seen that from Huckabee or Romney.

Indeed as we have gotten none of that. Most Americans are so ignorant of the issues they vote for a President that reduces what should be complex discussions into catch phrases and doublespeak like "war on terror", "cut & run", "shock & awe", "compassionate conservatism", "just say no", etc etc. It's a part of the dumbing down of America where the masses are kept in polarizing fights over nonsense over such things as "who is qualified to be president" while the ones behind the arguments walk away with the bank.

In 2000, the GOP told us that GW Bush was the most qualified experience president in being governor of one of the largest states in the country and look what that got us. I will say again, Americans deserve the president they vote for.

Significantly worse. I suggest that you travel to the other industrialized countries of the Western world or Japan to see just how far Americans have fallen behind. Most Americans, who are blissfully ignorant of how far they are falling behind, would be shocked at how much better off the average person is in these places compared to here.

We are getting poorer, jobs are being off-shored in droves, the dollar is becoming worthless, middle class is shrinking, we are getting fatter, life spans are falling now, crime is rising, we are more polarized and less willing to work together as a society, and the debt that we are asking future generations to take on is just in-excusable. I blame the current set of politicians for this and mainly the GOP who has increased their and their corporate backers power all while crapping on the people. You say you are 21 and I will tell you that you will spend the rest ofyour working life in paying significant taxes to pay off the debt that was run up during the Bush years. It will mean there won't be investment in public infrastructure, social programs that actually make us more competitive, and in education. It's not a recipe for success.

I think the problem though with this country is many do not believe in Equity, and it just isn't the GOP or republicans or the rich or poor. Everyone in this country things meritocracy is inevitable for each american when there is hardly a chance for that. This leads to greed and self-sustainability on the indvidual level and not the society.

I like Obama, but still wonder if Americans can actually vote for a black man. Sure, they'll say in polls they're fine with it, but once behind that curtain (in the voting booth), can they really do it? I just have those terrible memories of Harvey Gantt and Jesse Helms. All polls suggested that Gantt was going to beat Helms by a fairly good margin, but in the end, he lost by a fairly good margin. People lie to pollsters.

This is a good point. This country has been founded on the principal that everyone has the opportunity for success - but that does not guarantee success. The catch is that there is a big difference in terms of where people start off in their pursuit of property (happiness), and where you start determines how tough the road may be.

Back to your original question, how worse off are we now as a Country than we were eight years ago. To ask this question to individuals, you will get a wide spectrum of answers. There are many who are doing quite well, and it's not just the ultra rich. On the same hand, many are struggling. I think Metro did a good job of pointing out the main areas of concern, although I disagree with some of his conclusions, these are going to be the main issues facing us over the next several years.

I voted for Obama, but would love to see a Obama Edwards ticket of vice versa. I'm not much of a Hillary fan because she's comes off as cold and everything opposite of her husband. So, for those people who are going to vote for Hillary as a way of voting for Bill, please know that it's not going to be anything like that. she will be running the country :(

Being only 21 I do not "remember" much of any other presidents terms and the country. I remember some of Clinton, but I hardly followed politics then. I just wonder, how much worse is our country now than it was 8 years ago? I know we are in a war and we are in a deficit,(which is nothing new to our country, how many countries have we "overthrown" and not go successful, I can think of quite a few)but what else? I think we as a country have become to wrapped up in a unipolar world, that we sometimes miss out that things aren't meant to be perfect...

• 2 weeks later...

according to several Iowa polls its a three way dead heat between Clinton, Edwards and Obama. John Edwards has now taken the lead over Hillary Clinton by one point and is tied with Obama in Iowa. As I said before a clear frontrunner for months and months doesnt translate into that person becoming the nominee.

The latest poll numbers as of 12/29/07

Barack Obama 29%

John Edwards 29%

Hillary Clinton 28%

Bill Richardson 7%

Joe Biden 3%

Chris Dodd 1%

Dennis Kucinich 1%

Next week the Iowa Caucuses begin

My prediction is that in the election it will be John Edwards vs Mike Huckabee..........folks be prepared to start saying "President Edwards"

according to several Iowa polls its a three way dead heat between Clinton, Edwards and Obama. John Edwards has now taken the lead over Hillary Clinton by one point and is tied with Obama in Iowa. As I said before a clear frontrunner for months and months doesnt translate into that person becoming the nominee.

The latest poll numbers as of 12/29/07

Barack Obama 29%

John Edwards 29%

Hillary Clinton 28%

Bill Richardson 7%

Joe Biden 3%

Chris Dodd 1%

Dennis Kucinich 1%

Next week the Iowa Caucuses begin

My prediction is that in the election it will be John Edwards vs Mike Huckabee..........folks be prepared to start saying "President Edwards"

Thanks for posting the lovely picture of the Edwards family.

How comforting it would feel to have them residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. After the national ordeal we've gone through with the Bush family, we deserve a good president for a change. A man worthy of respect and admiration. Edwards is my choice.

Edwards would be a disaster. I would much rather see Biden, Hillary or Obama as president, in that order. I think Edwards would be run by his handlers way to much to be president. You need someone in that position who thinks for themselves, not another Bush from the opposite party.

John Edwards is the ONLY electable candidate for the democrats. Hillary Clinton is hated too much by the other side to win this election for the democrats. The votes would be polarizing and we would see the same results we saw in 2000 and in 2004. Hillary will never win a red state. John Edwards is the only one capable of doing that. The honeymoon with Hillary Clinton is over and the polls are starting to reflect that. People are starting to look at who would do the best job as president instead of whos the most popular. People were only attracted to Hillary because they thought they would be voting for Bill Clinton again. But people are realizing now that they arent voting for a 3rd Bill Clinton term. I think alot of people want CHANGE with a fresh face and new ideas and people want to turn the page to a new chapter. They are tired of the 20 year Bush/Clinton Dynasty. BTW a new poll just put John Edwards ahead of Obama and Hillary in Iowa.

Thanks for posting the lovely picture of the Edwards family.

How comforting it would feel to have them residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. After the national ordeal we've gone through with the Bush family, we deserve a good president for a change. A man worthy of respect and admiration. Edwards is my choice.

Archived