Election '08: Primaries

JDC

Being a conspiracy buff, you don't think that was planned? I don't care how you package Edwards; he was one of the least effective candidates in the debates. I don't like Hillary, but I think she would make a much better president than Edwards. His family is his best asset, but he seems to me to be nothing more than an empty suit.

The most experienced and knowledgable candidate on the Demodratic side is Biden. I guess he's just not sexy enough of a candidate to get voters attention. There are only three candidates I can see myself voting for. McCain, Biden, and Paul. If it ends up Obama against a religous conservative, then that would make him the fourth one. Either way you slice it, it's a no win situation for our country.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edwards is my top choice, but the latest polls are showing Hillary leading in Iowa and Edwards in a fight with Obama to not finish third. If Hillary wins Iowa, this thing will probably be over really quickly.

Edwards is progressive, likeable and presidential in demeanor, head and shoulders above the other candidates IMHO. He'd be the Democrats' strongest candidate in November, and that's what is most important to me. It's all about winning the general election.

This is exactly the same question I've been asking for the last year. I just want to know which red state Hillary "could win"?

Hopefully people don't delude themselves into imagining she could carry Arkansas. Missouri? I highly doubt it. And Florida has enough religious fanatics and rednecks to make her chances there nil.

Which red states might Edwards manage to carry? perhaps Ohio......New Mexico........Florida......Colorado?

Edwards is as qualified to be president as Hillary is. Unfortunately, voting for Hillary in the primaries weakens the party. I hope the Democrats in Iowa and New Hampshire closely consider this.

This is exactly the same question I've been asking for the last year. I just want to know which red state Hillary "could win"?

Hopefully people don't delude themselves into imagining she could carry Arkansas. Missouri? I highly doubt it. And Florida has enough religious fanatics and rednecks to make her chances there nil.

I find it telling, that a number of people who have previously identified themselves as being for the GOP choose to participate in this thread much more so than the one for the GOP. I think everyone knows the next president is going to be from the Democratic party. It's just a question of which one.

You may well have a point there Marc. As for the Democrats, I still like Richardson- even though he is not even being considered seriously by anyone. The Republicans will probably lose as they haven't been able to come up with anyone suitable. Romney, McCain, Huckabee....all with fatal flaws. Ron Paul is interesting, but unelectable. On both sides of the aisle, I have to say that this is one of the least appealing slates I've seen for quite some time. It's sad to ponder that no one better is running.

She doesn't need to win any red states. She only needs to hold the states John Kerry won, plus pick up any one of the numerous swing states Kerry barely lost. Considering how low public opinion of the Republican party has sunk since the last election, that is very doable. It is very doubtful that any of the blue states will suddenly tilt Republican in this political climate, and many of the states the Republicans won last time were very narrow victories in an election that was much more favorable to their candidate than this one.

The simple fact is that being polarizing doesn't inherently make a candidate unelectable. If that were the case, George W. Bush, the most polarizing candidate in modern politics, would never have won a second term. Most national polls show all three Democratic front-runners beating anyone the Republicans can run, by significant margins in many likely match-ups.

I wanted to post my predictons today since we are getting quite close but it's such a toss up I almost don't see the point. Although one poll has Obama breaking out I think I will go with the majority opinion of a dead heat. It's all about the ground game and who has the most organized get out the caucuser strategery. I am leaning toward an Edwards upset but who knows....This is what makes politics so exciting and fascinating for junkies like me.

I've been listening to all the speeches from the candidates (GOP and Democratic) on CNN this morning leading up to the Iowa caucus. I can't help to notice the sharp difference in the message.

GOP - Fear of the future, longing for the past, we have to show the world we are tough

Democrats - Hope for the future, learn from the past, we have to show the world we are willing to work with them

It's quite striking.

^^^this is a telling observation. Throughout history, right-wing movements have always utilized the concept of fear, and "an enemy" to their advantage. For decades, American right-wing lunatics had the Cold War to satisfy those requirements. Now it's the "War on Terror". Without fear, how could the modern day republicans get elected?

I still fully expect to see a John Edwards victory in Iowa. I would be quite surprised if Hillary pulls this one off. If the Democrats truly want to win, they had better forget about Hillary Clinton.

^^^this is a telling observation. Throughout history, right-wing movements have always utilized the concept of fear, and "an enemy" to their advantage. For decades, American right-wing lunatics had the Cold War to satisfy those requirements. Now it's the "War on Terror". Without fear, how could the modern day republicans get elected?

I still fully expect to see a John Edwards victory in Iowa. I would be quite surprised if Hillary pulls this one off. If the Democrats truly want to win, they had better forget about Hillary Clinton.

Actually both parties have had their share of war mongers since WWII and it behooves American's to try to remember what happens when they succumb to fear as a reason to vote for a President.

LBJ ran this advert in 1964 against Humphrey. (i.e. Humphrey was too in-experienced to be trusted with foreign policy) This ad became the prototype for this type of campaigning and which was elevated to new heights by Reagan and his followers in the 1980s to present.

Note the similarities to what we are hearing now from some candidates. It should be noted that when this ad was run, and despite LBJ's promises of making a world "that all God's children can live", Americans and the world had 11 years of the Vietnam war to look forward too. (and millions dead) How many times do Americans need to be reminded of the past?

Anyone else think Bloomberg has a shot this year? I mean, if the Democrats nominate someone as polarizing as Hillary and the GOP nominates a religious kook like Mike Huckabee, there could be a lot of interest in an independent like Bloomberg.

Anyone else think Bloomberg has a shot this year? I mean, if the Democrats nominate someone as polarizing as Hillary and the GOP nominates a religious kook like Mike Huckabee, there could be a lot of interest in an independent like Bloomberg.

Archived