1980s NYC Subway Photos

monsoon

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been tremendously improved since then. Back in the 80's I think NYC was in a financial crisis and transit strike, right? It was before I was born, but I think that's what happened. So it was really bad. I saw a show on Discovery about NYC transit. They've updated the trains, cleaned up the graffiti and brought in security guards. Also, there's a new route planned for 2nd Ave. That'll be nice and new! But those were some alarming pics.

I was there in 1979, and it seemed that most things in NYC that were within arm's reach, including the subways and buildings, were graffitied. Some of the grafitti on the exterior of the subways was actually beautiful. It was just distressing to see it on every single car and every square inch of the stations.

I went back in 1988, and it had been tremendously cleaned up. I don't believe there was grafitti on the interior or exterior of any car I rode.

The only exception was the exterior of one or two cars which had been preserved as examples of grafitti art.

It was always cool to stand on a platform and watch dozens of clean, shiny silver trains zip by and then see one car that was decked out in scenes of the rocky mountains or palm trees.

I lived in New York from 2000 to 2003, the system is perfectly safe. I rode it in all boroughs at all hours of the night and day without incident.

These photos represent an unfortunate low point in the city's history.

Yes it is much cleaner now...I have ridden it by myself and felt perfectly fine.

What is the story with the first pic that has an add for Carolina..."Come home to Carolina" what was that all about? I also like you you can see the skyline in the background which includes the WTC.

Those photos are hilarious, and should be posted around the subway system to remind riders how fortunate they are these conditions don't exist. I remember seeing a few of these photos in a book somewhere.

By the way, although I can imagine scenes like the photo below taking place (anywhere actually), I doubt someone would take a picture of the crime in progress - not only would it be evidence against the perpetrator, but you wouldn't survive to see the print... :unsure:

NYC6004.jpg

Archived