SAVANNAH RIVER PARKWAY

jungletobacco

If the Interstate 3 or Savannah River Parkway become a reality, what would happen? Is it a better connection than Augusta to Macon or Savannah to Columbus? I know that AUG and SAV share the Savannah River and both are world renowned. Would Augusta help Savannah surpass Charleston? Would Savannah Help Augusta surpass Columbia? Would the eastern portion of georgia along the river, become totally independent from Atlanta? The two oldest cities in Georgia finally connecting and trading would change this state.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savannah River pkwy is almost complete in south richmond county. Its supposed to go from jenkins county to south richmond in hephzibah. Its probably about 80% done so that is a reality already. I do think interstate 3 would help augusta & savannah become more independent from atlanta. Aug & Sav tend to be by themselves opposed to columbus & macon being with atlanta. Both cities have a military bases, savannah river, and south carolina. If I-3 were built im sure stores, hotels, and water parks will follow.

The biggest & best reason for I-3, despite the efforts of the Mountain tree huggers, would be the transportation needs of the military (Ft. Gordon being able to move material to the Savannah Ports). It would also provide a nice easy way to go north without getting stuck in Atlanta.

I'd love to see I-3 built. I'd also love to see a way to make US 17 over the Talmadge bridge be brought up to interstate standards (and bring down I-77 from Columbia, as i've long advocated, to merge with I-16/US17 as another north/south route).

The Savannah River Parkway, also known as State Route 555 and State Route 565, are two roadways that parallel the Savannah River from Savannah to Augusta. The parkway goes southward from Augusta to Millen, where it splits. The west branch follows U.S. Route 25 to Statesboro, and then southward to I-16. The northern branch continues southeastward, following State Route 21, to meet I-95 just outside of Savannah.

the Georgia Department of Transportation says the roadway is substantially complete.

The roadway is being considered for inclusion as part of Interstate 3, which ultimately is planned to run from Savannah to Knoxville.

Archived