Hotel Washington

tombarnes

Hotel Washington to be Renovated- Opens as the W in 2009

The historic Hotel Washington, the not-so-famous neighbor of the Willard, at 15th and Pennsylvania, will close its doors at the end of the year. The new owners from Dubai intend to renovate the place into a trendy W Hotel. The building has got great bones, but a total makeover has been needed for many years now. The famed Roof Terrace will return as a cocktail lounge. It's interesting to see one of the stodgiest hotels in town being made over into hip digs. We'll have to see how this turns out. I have no doubt that they will have no trouble filling their rooms. The DC hotel market is hot right now.

Forbes.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hotel Washington to be Renovated- Opens as the W in 2009

The historic Hotel Washington, the not-so-famous neighbor of the Willard, at 15th and Pennsylvania, will close its doors at the end of the year. The new owners from Dubai intend to renovate the place into a trendy W Hotel. The building has got great bones, but a total makeover has been needed for many years now. The famed Roof Terrace will return as a cocktail lounge. It's interesting to see one of the stodgiest hotels in town being made over into hip digs. We'll have to see how this turns out. I have no doubt that they will have no trouble filling their rooms. The DC hotel market is hot right now.

Forbes.com

I have mixed emotions about the renovation and renaming of the the Washington Hotel. On the one hand it is one of the few affordable hotels left downtown for families on the other hand having stayed in a W hotel in Atlanta it would be kind of neat to have a another trendy boutique type hotel within walking distance of the White House. Just like affordable housing there needs to be room for affordable lodging somewhere near Downtown and mass transit. The only affordable hotels in and around Downtown seem to be the nasty rundown ones on New York Ave., the hotel off of South Capitol St. and I St. SW, and the Hotel Harrington. If things keep on the way they are these properties will probably be upgraded to pricey chic as well.

I see what you mean about affordable hotels in Washington becoming thin on the ground. I'd have to say, however, that I'd welcome a renovation of the Hotel Harrington. I've always wondered how the bus tours kept it going. The Harrington is in desperate need of tlc. Washington needs more affordable options which are also attractive- a tough nut to crack in this area. With property prices being the way they are, it's nearly impossible to build any sort of hotel without the expectation of ridsiculous rates to make it affordable for those who would develop any hotel. Even the Hilton Garden Inn on Franklin Square commands relatively high rates.

• 1 month later...

Hotel Washington Closes Jan. 1

An article from the Washington Post gives a bittersweet account of the closing of the Hotel Washington. It will, of course, be opening in another year's time as the W, but it definitely won't be the same. Chalk it up to needed progress or what you may, but a bit of the old city passes on tomorrow.

The Washington Post

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven't stayed or dined there yet. I did walk through the lobby and first floor last month. Carmine red vinyl upholstery on a toothpaste white French bergere does not good design make. in short, it's a horrifying attempt at coolness which falls flat. The prices for everything- especially the rooms- are astounding. I love the old Roof terrace, but I don't want to spend $18 for a cocktail to see the view. Maybe they'll come down to earth, but in this inflated hotel market, I somehow doubt it. Will try to get pictures- if they'll let me in with my camera.

I haven't stayed or dined there yet. I did walk through the lobby and first floor last month. Carmine red vinyl upholstery on a toothpaste white French bergere does not good design make. in short, it's a horrifying attempt at coolness which falls flat. The prices for everything- especially the rooms- are astounding. I love the old Roof terrace, but I don't want to spend $18 for a cocktail to see the view. Maybe they'll come down to earth, but in this inflated hotel market, I somehow doubt it. Will try to get pictures- if they'll let me in with my camera.

Thanks Tom for the update. Been bugging a friend of mine who works for the hotel chain (starwood) to take me there. He told me the same thing about the roof top terrace. I guess I will have one or two drinks there and call it a night.

• 3 years later...

Archived