Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG, this is exciting. I surely hope this happens. Having street level retail at that corner will greatly improve pedestrian activity on that block and between main and the Vista. And 19 stories makes me very happy.

I second that "sonof", I don't want to hear anything about it being too close to the state house.

I 3rd that notion......the statehouse isn't a good excuse.....if that's the case then the ABC building shouldn't have ever been allowed there either. I think that's will be a great addition to Columbia and i would love for this to take shape....more office and retail space would be such a wonderful thing to have in that area!!!! I want all 19 stories also....it's time for Columbia to stop selling itself short to the world. Think about it....our city has been on the news so often this year from presidential campaign stomps, USC games, hydrogen news and etc....our skyline has been on ESPN, CNN, and other channels and i think people will begin to notice that Columbia exist.

no not trying to be funny. All that I know is what I had read on the DDRC agenda which is as follows:

CITY CENTER

1. 1201-1223 Main Street and 1121-1125 Gervais Street (TMS# 09013-08-5,6,7,8) Informational Presentation for the new construction of 19 story structure and plaza. Design/Development District

Not up on their (DDRC) websites yet, but I assume it will be up today at: http://www.columbiascdevelopment.com/boards_pz.asp and look under DESIGN/DEVELOPMENT REVIEW COMMISSION (DDRC).

Wow, well would you look at that. Pretty exciting! I'd expect to hear something from The State pretty soon. I've always detested that open space right there at the corner of Main and Gervais (as well as the parking lot between 1440 Main and 1441 Main...ugh). I wonder if Holder is behind this? There were rumors of a multi-tenant office building coming either to Main or the Vista. If this comes to fruition, the tower could very well be LEED-certified, and thus might possibly rival the Capitol Center in height. However, given its location, it may not be visible from the popular photographing angle at Arsenal Hill. Just let it have street level retail--there would be no excuse for it not having any.

The most exciting part of this is that it could very well involve a corporate HQ's landing downtown. I wouldn't think this would be a spec project, given that SCANA will be leaving downtown in 2009.

The blue DDRC sign is at Main and Gervais, more on Main than at the corner, for the proposed new 19-story tower. I have looked at photos of the skyline since learning about the planned tower today, and it will really add texture and dimension from many angles. I plan to attend the board meeting Tuesday.

Make sure to give us a thorough report, Corgi...but then again, you always do. :thumbsup:

So if this tower gets off the ground, it will probably be completed in 2009 or 2010. So you have the 17-story Meridian in 2003, the 9-story First Citizens Bank building in 2006, and this proposed one in 2009/2010. Not bad for a midsized Southern metro.

This is just astounding news, it is a great time to be in columbia, the 2000's have been very good to columbia. I plan to take my camera to the meeting on tuesday (skipping class and work for this thing) and you can bet I will sneak into the building as a " enginnering student" to get you guys the best photos I can of the tower as it goes up

But here is what I am sure we can infer from Holder.

It will be a very nice as we have seen from their merdian and adesso buildings.

It will be lighted in some form as we have seen from merdian wonderful roof lighting

My speculation:

Height could grow again we know things always change before the first shovel hits the dirt on in the case of this project the first peaice of ashpalt is touched.

Where is the parking garage going to go? Could go into the design of the tower with retail on the ground floor, good example of such is the new Ave tower in charlotte, mix of condos and parking added to the buildings height. Becuase this project is now a high profile object more businesses will want to jump on it so more retail could be incorperated into the final design. Last but not lease we have no clue what kind of crown if any this building will have so its high could and is up for debate just with in the first design we will see, with or without roof adornment

Archived