Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

I moved this discussion from the other two threads. I think this is the first I've heard of this tower. This is fantastic news for Columbia. The only place it can go at Main & Gervais is that parking lot. Not the best place for a highrise, IMO, but it will add a lot to Main Street if it has a lot of ground level retail.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most encouraging bit of information, IMO, is that Holder appears to be the developer. I have been quite pleased with the final product of Meridian and the nearly final product of Adesso. The renderings for their apartment building on Assembly at Whaley looks very nice, also, so if Holder is the developer I have very high hopes for a cool design. It would be cool if Holder was moving their headquarters from Atlanta to Columbia and they would be the primary tenant of this building. One can dream, can't they?

I seriously doubt that this will be just a box, even if it has somewhat of a boxy shape (ala Meridian with the feature at the top).

After looking at some pics taken at Main and Gervais and from Arsenal Hill, I don't think the Capitol Center will obscure this tower from the popular skyline angle from Finlay Park at all.

This tower could potentially break the pitiful 349 ft cap in SC. My biggest concern, though, is street level retail. But if Holder is the developer, then my concerns would be alleviated a bit, since they did incorporate retail into the base of Meridian (although I don't exactly prefer the way they did it with the setback).

Looking at the satellite images on Google, it looks like this would take the place of that heinous parking lot on MainStreet, and share the plaza with the Cap Center, or what ever it is called these days. Is that correct?

I do have to say that Holder has done two very nice looking projects in Cola now and would hope that this would be the nicest one yet. Good news for Columbia, but you all are right - very visible ground floor retail is an absolute key to full success of this opportunity.

I drove around imagining the new tower from all angles with the assumption that it will be built on the paved parking lot site, and it is going to give pop in lots of ways. Here's a link to WIS's website that shows the skyline from West Columbia.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7428693

I foresee the new tower being built next to NBSC with an upgrade to the existing corner plaza, and I think you'll still see a little bit of the Wilbur Smith building in the background between the Capitol Centre and the new tower, thus adding depth and texture. The new tower should be at least a little taller than Meridian and add a lot of dimension to the high-rise ridge. Also, it will be highly visible driving in on I-126, as well as when driving down Assembly Street, and from the Finlay Park fountain. The reason I'm thinking the corner lot will be the plaza portion of the development is that on the DDRC agenda the addresses are Main Street and Gervais Street, but the only sign is in front of the paved parking lot.

When looking at the WIS skyline shot, imagine Vsion also, and imagine the upper floors of the new tower visible above First Citizens when looking out of a Vsion condo.

Look at that! I move away from Columbia and then they get the new building I was hoping for. The only thing I don't like about it is the placement. I think something off of Sumter or on S Main next to Nickelodeon would have looked better, but I'm putting faith in that Holder knows what they're doing.

I miss Columbia, Atlanta just isn't the same.

Archived