Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to email Lucinda Statler, the city's urban design planner, about the informational presentation on Tuesday. She said:

The project was in the newspaper prior to the presentation. Because it was informational, no action was taken; however, a subcommittee will be held at the City Planning office on Thursday, December 13th at 9:00 a.m. to discuss the project in anticipation of a January request for Certificate of Design Approval and Certificate of Site Plan approval. The meeting is open to the public, as there will likely be a quorum of the DDRC; however no action will be taken at the subcommittee.

I don't have any sketches, but I've analyzed it from I-126, from the Greystone Blvd overpass, from the 9th Street bridge in West Columbia, from the top of Finlay Park, from the top of the hill on Assembly coming toward Taylor Street and from the Blossom Street bridge. From all but the Blossom Street bridge I believe it will add to the skyline significantly. I think the Capitol Center will block a lot of it from the Blossom Street bridge.

Actually, Corgi, I think the tower will be very visible approaching downtown from Cayce via the Blossom Street bridge. However, approaching downtown from West Columbia via the Gervais Street/Congaree River bridge, I think it will be largely obsured by the Capitol Center tower.

Another vantage point is directly from the south, from South Assembly. I think the tower will make a nice impact on the skyline from that perspective as well.

Corgi is right. The view from the Blossom St bridge will be obstructed by the Capitol Center unless this building gains about 10 floors or a spire of equal height.

The best views will be from Klapman, Arsenal Hill, and 126. If you look at it in Google Earth from those various points and just look at the lines-of-sight from them to the parking lot next to the Capitol Center, you can get an idea of what is going on.

From the rendering in The State, it appears as though the new tower will pretty much line up perfectly with the Capitol Center when looking at both from Gervais Street (i.e., on the Statehouse grounds). This is why it appears as though the tower would be visible from the Blossom Street bridge (at least a portion of it), but not the Gervais Street bridge.

One thing I have noticed is that the building includes a decent looking plaza facing the capitol. It could be assumed that any restaurant that locates there would have a great opportunity for outdoor seating, facing the State House. They would be the only restaurant to be able to make this claim, and it would be a great marketing tool.

I just hope the restaurants and retail aren't the typical franchise ones that are already scattered throughout Columbia. I would like it to be sometihng that is downtown specific so that it will draw more people to that area from in and around the Columbia area.......and PLEASE!!!!!!! NO MORE WING AND ALE PLACES!!!!!!! lol

One thing I have noticed is that the building includes a decent looking plaza facing the capitol. It could be assumed that any restaurant that locates there would have a great opportunity for outdoor seating, facing the State House. They would be the only restaurant to be able to make this claim, and it would be a great marketing tool.

Archived