Tower at Main & Gervais

comingtocolumbia

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^True. I don't think I've ever seen a company say that they were only investigating a project's feasibility and then went on to have an informational presentation and release a general rendering, so that should be taken as a sign that they at least have intentions on building something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

WIS News just now said Holder Properties is going to make an announcement and give details tomorrow about the tower. It's going to be called the Tower at Main and Gervais. WIS said they should give details tomorrow on how big it will be and who the tenants will be.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7935152

Re: extra stories-

Did anyone notice the map next to the story... it says "19 stories"

maingervaismap.jpg

Also, the number of floors is not entirely relevant. How tall will it be in feet? Thats how these things need to be measured.

So here's what we know:

Name: tower at Main & Gervais

Height: unknown

Floors: 18 or 19

Sq Ft: 200,000

Architect: Duda Paine Architects, Durham, NC

Developer: Holder Properties, Atlanta, GA

Garage: 600 spaces

Completion: 2010

Tenants:

-The McNair Law Firm - 150 - will occupy the top three floors. Relo from Wilbur Smith building

-Edens & Avant - 200 - will occupy three floors. Relo from Bank of America Plaza

-NBSC, with about 100 employees, will occupy three floors. Relo from NBSC building.

-The ground floor::: an upscale restaurant, a fitness center, and an NBSC branch bank

Other:

will include a 1/2 acre park/plaza

Since we haven't seen any renderings, here are some buildings that were cited in the article as being designed by the architect, Duda Paine, for this project. One would assume that this building might favor these in some way.

dudapain_frostbank.jpg

Frost Bank - Austin, TX

dudapain_terminus.jpg

Terminus - Atlanta, GA

i think the height is suitable for that location. it will give the skyline more complexity. it would be odd to see two very tall towers so close together i think -- at least in the context of our skyline.

what bums me out about this is the lack of retail. i don't know how much of it was reported in the press, but this was originally expected to be a project with heavy ground floor retail with the idea of getting more people out after business hours and leveraging the location to link main st. to the vista. i don't think what's been announced will do that.

i think the height is suitable for that location. it will give the skyline more complexity. it would be odd to see two very tall towers so close together i think -- at least in the context of our skyline.

what bums me out about this is the lack of retail. i don't know how much of it was reported in the press, but this was originally expected to be a project with heavy ground floor retail with the idea of getting more people out after business hours and leveraging the location to link main st. to the vista. i don't think what's been announced will do that.

This information is from Holder Properties:

Main & Gervais Office Tower

Columbia, South Carolina

The new Main & Gervais Office Tower is situated on one of the most prominent sites in all of downtown Columbia, the corner of Main and Gervais Streets, overlooking the South Carolina State Capital Building. As if the grounds of the capital were extended across Gervais Street, the existing public plaza along the tower

Archived