Pedal Power Downtown

Sailor

• 4 months later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About Saturday's Jaycees Santa parade:

Scheduled to appear in the parade ... Mayor George Heartwell (who will ride in a pedicab as part of the parade's contribution to "going green")...

Y'all should be v-e-r-y glad that you aren't hauling the most recent former mayor of Michigan's largest city. George < 200 lbs.

My contract was terminated last night because I called in too many times. (Apparently 3 times in a year is too much. And when I'm freezing my butt off wearing two pairs of pants just walking around campus, I'm not coming out at midnight to work for 6 hours outside.) So I either have to talk to Hendershodt about coming back into the business in Spring or no more pedicab driving for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

An East Lansing pedicab company owner wants East Lansing to use Grand Rapids' pedicab ordinance as a model. The city commission recently changed their ordinance governing taxis and it now considers pedicabs to be the same as motorized taxis, which means pedicab drivers must have a chauffeur's license and a taxi meter. This is difficult, since most of the pedicab companies around here operate primarily on a tip system instead of a "pay this much to go this far" system.

http://www.statenews.com/index.php/article...edicab_business

East Lansing City Clerk Nicole Evans said the updated ordinance, approved by the City Council in March, changed the definition of what a taxi is. Under the ordinance, Benedict is mandated to follow the same guidelines as motorized taxis. Prior to the updated ordinance, Benedict's pedicab was not defined as a taxi.

Benedict said his business plan, which operates on tips for rides, is not conducive with the aspects of the ordinance that requires items such as a chauffeur's license and taxi meters.

Benedict said he plans to show city officials pedicab-specific laws from Grand Rapids that might apply to his business. Beard said that if the laws serve the safety of the customers and the community, he feels the City Council would consider them.

"If it seems acceptable and manageable then the council will certainly entertain a future amendment to our code that would allow for the pedicabs to operate," he said.

• 3 months later...

Archived