A Grand Rapids/West Michigan "animal"

Yankee Fan

My friends and I were talking (and laughing) about the various state birds and animals and then it dawned on us:

Grand Rapids/West Michigan deserves its own designated animal, too.

However, we are not really sure what it should be. So, I thought I would start a thread where UP could nominate its choice for GR/WM animal. Maybe at some point we could have a poll.

It's Friday; what do you expect?!

Let's do it.

:thumbsup:

I vote for the deer.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cast your peepers on my avatar. There's your official West Michigan Animal. Living a life of good ol' fashion hard work, thriftiness, and hunkered down for the long haul (in its case amassing its food cashe to get it though the lean times of winter) chipmunks make a good analogy of West Michigan folk. We West Michiganians are satisfied by geting the job done. We live a thrifty life and we have a knack of enduring the many lean times the state seems to always throw at us. So there you go. I submit the eastern chipmunk (Tamias Striatus) as a worthy candidate.

Cheeky Little Eastern Chipmunk

My friends and I were talking (and laughing) about the various state birds and animals and then it dawned on us:

Grand Rapids/West Michigan deserves its own designated animal, too.

However, we are not really sure what it should be. So, I thought I would start a thread where UP could nominate its choice for GR/WM animal. Maybe at some point we could have a poll.

It's Friday; what do you expect?!

Let's do it.

:thumbsup:

I vote for the deer.

Did you say MEIJER parking lots? Well, that clinches it -- chipmunk is THE Grand Rapids animal. :thumbsup:

As cute as they are, I have to admit that I don't appreciate everything about chipmunks . . . I've battled the little buggers in my gardens and planter boxes. They can be as, if not more, destructive than mice to and in a house. A few years back when they were destroying a garden I was working on, I'd fantsize about hanging the cute little critters by their tails on a clothesline. :blush: I think its adapted from a picture I have deep in my memory from a childhood book of the three little kittens that lost their mittens.

Here's link to some info on how to humanely discourage chipmunks from getting into your gardens.

Chipmunk Control

I would also add to this info is building some rock walls at the edge of your property away from any structures and build some feeders about a foot above the ground. Fill the feeders with black oil sunflower seeds. The rock walls wil provide places to dig borrows away from structures while easily accessible feeders will lure chipmunks away from your gardens.

Archived