Urban Development Predictions 2008

smeagolsfree

William Williams asked some of us yesterday over coffee what some of our urban predictions are for 2008. I think that may be a good topic for us to see what we think will happen in 2008.

I think the Thermal site will be taken up again and we may have a developer by the end of the year.

The riverfront on the East bank will be a center of focus and we will start to see the ball rolling.

The DT partnership has hired a new recruitment pwerson so I think we will see a lot of new retail business drawn to DT.

Another in our group said the CC planning will start but we will not see construction till 2009.

What are your predictions for 08???

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the Gulch will explode. Griffin Plaza, Velocity, and at least two more residential towers will break ground.

I believe there will be two more residential towers started in SoBro.

Siggy will break ground.

There will be more high rise residential proposed for Music Row.

And people will start looking at those google shots and realize what an enormous piece of land is underutilized on the east bank. I see at least one large cohesive development going through planning and approvals south of the stadium.

Work will be a bit slower than now, but will pick up toward the beginning of '09.

My guess...

More midtown infill between Church and Charlotte, around the new Bristol project.

Movement on the Neuhoff redevelopment?

More infill between Bicentennial Mall and the Cumberland River.

Announcment of a plan for the parking lot at 8th and Church [old Tulane Hotel site.]

An unexpected project for the eastern end of James Robertson Parkway.

I agree with TopCat that the Gulch with continue to explode, but the area a couple hundred yards to the South on 12th Street will continue to stay dormant due to the presence of nearby public housing. Likewise, you may get development on the east bank, but nothing close to the nearby James A Cayce Homes. If William Williams wants to write a truly informative story, he would investigate how government housing inhibits development. Why do the 12th South and Gulch areas grow, but the area in between does not? (Actually it does grow some, due to small scale home renovation projects, but much less than these other two areas have.)

Here

I agree with TopCat that the Gulch with continue to explode, but the area a couple hundred yards to the South on 12th Street Here's another question. Would you feel uncomfortable at the thought of discussing this topic in a non-anonymous forum? Why? I know that race issues are involved, but that shouldn't stop us from discussing (and reporters from investigating) legitimate development issues.

I never thought of this as a race issue. Its an ecomonic issue. Poor people of all colors live in the projects. I hope to see better forms of public assistance for housing that is mixed in with non assisted housing. It would then allow people of many ecomonic groups to pay as much as they can afford, plus get some help. What we don't need are these housing projects that segregate people based on social status. Certainly, you cannot expect Signature to offer low cost assisted housing, but other nice projects have. I believe Row 8.9 was "assisted" but you'd never know it to look at it.

Personally, I'd like to see more developments like the Row, where those that need a bit of help can get into decent housing. Then I'd like to see all these 60's public housing projects torn down and replaced with mixed use, commercial /residential developments at an affordable price.

There is a key difference between Row 8.9 and public housing. Public housing is government owned and run. Even the new public housing HOPE developments, which have a greater mix of incomes, are government owned and operated (and paid for primarily by HUD). MDHA appears to have no interest in making mixed income developments if it means losing government control. Nashville could replace much of the 1950

William Williams asked some of us yesterday over coffee what some of our urban predictions are for 2008. I think that may be a good topic for us to see what we think will happen in 2008.

I think the Thermal site will be taken up again and we may have a developer by the end of the year.

The riverfront on the East bank will be a center of focus and we will start to see the ball rolling.

The DT partnership has hired a new recruitment pwerson so I think we will see a lot of new retail business drawn to DT.

Another in our group said the CC planning will start but we will not see construction till 2009.

What I want to see happen in order of importance:

1. Signature Tower break ground in '07 and full force in '08

2. Tennesse Titans playoff birth in '07 season

3. Nashville Predators sale to local ownership complete; playoff birth in '07 season. Avg. attendance is 14k+

4. Convention Center to begin construction; public park built on roof; 750+ft. CC hotel to begin contruction

5. Westin Hotel a go and to begin construction

6. West End Summit to begin vertical construction; tenant announced.

7. Griffin Plaza to begin construction

8. Velocity to begin construction

9. Sobro to begin construction

10. Continued development in downtown area

Want to hear my dream in the next ten years?

Titans have a superbowl, Predators still in Nashville with a stanley cup, Nashville lands a professional baseball team with a downtown stadium built on the river. Some might laugh at this, but first, it's my dream so i'll dream about what I want, and after visiting Cleveland and Tampa Bay, St. Louis, and thinkin about cities like Kansas City, I truly believe Nashville can support a baseball team and it would be a successful team.

I believe that the Nashville market for urban housing/condos will slow

I believe that the construction of new towers for residential will come to a virtual halt until the market absorbs more of the stock.

I believe that siggy will become a dead issue for the reasons listed above.

I believe the small infill 3 to 5 story infill projects will take over as a force in the market.

I believe that the current credit crunch will do a number on most markets.

I believe that we will start seeing the economic power of retiring baby boomers flex its collective muscle.

I believe that we will continue to see oil prices rise based on the needs of china and india.

I believe that we will start looking more seriously at alternatives to our current patterns of growth...this is good for downtown and other commercial/mixed-use centers in the area.

I believe that we will start to take mass transit to heart.

I believe that we will look closer at tying land use and transportation together.

Archived