The Georgia Aquarium

Guest donaltopablo

We moved to Charlotte. I'm originally from Atlanta and do love living there. Unfortunately, my husband got a job he really wanted at Microsoft so we moved here. At the risk of offending a few forumners, I never would've chosen Charlotte myself. It's nice, but it lacks a lot of the big city feel Atlanta has. Plus, the shopping here is no where near as good as Atlanta's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well at least you're not that far away from home ;)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least you're not that far away from home ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's one of Charlotte's good points. I make frequent trips to Atlanta since it's so close.

That Wolfgang Puck story made me LOL. It kind of boils down to Wolfgang being the manager of the food court... I know he's not doing that, but taht's the way the AJC makes it sound.

^ I know what you mean - but none of those hot-shot chefs really cook at any of their restaurants anymore do they? Emeril Lagasse has hundreds of places, as does Wolfgang - who actually has a fast food chain concept in Buckhead. They pretty are much managers or really entrepreneurs.

^  I know what you mean - but none of those hot-shot chefs really cook at any of their restaurants anymore do they?  Emeril Lagasse has hundreds of places, as does Wolfgang - who actually has a fast food chain concept in Buckhead.  They pretty are much managers or really entrepreneurs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That kind of defeats the purpose behond ahaving a famous chef run the place, doesn't it? :P

I mean, fast food places aren't exactly known for their great cooking.

• 1 month later...

More exciting information continues to flow forth from the new Georgia Aquarium.

I can hardly contain myself and the wait it maddening.

Talk about a really big window. This is huge!!!!

From the article:

In the hush-hush world of Georgia Aquarium secrets, benefactor Bernie Marcus is getting ready to unveil a transparent whopper.

No one at the still-under-construction downtown Atlanta fish tank, including Marcus, will talk about it, but the facility apparently will boast the biggest aquarium window in the United States and one of the biggest in the world.

The main window, considered the dominant, eye-popping feature of most public aquariums, will approach the size of the massive window at the Churaumi Aquarium in Okinawa, Japan, which measures about 74 feet long and is nearly three stories tall. That 2-foot-thick acrylic marvel weighs more than a quarter of a million pounds and can withstand 1.9 million pounds of pressure.

Currently, the biggest aquarium window in the United States is at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California. It is 54 feet long, 15 feet tall and about 13 inches thick.

This will truly be a sight to behold.

Are you talking about the thing thatt forms the hull of the "boat". The aquarium was designed to look like a boat, I've even heard Noah's Ark!

That window on the front is huge. It makes this project seem more monumental as so many records are going to be broken.

Are you talking about the thing thatt forms the hull of the "boat". The aquarium was designed to look like a boat, I've even heard Noah's Ark!

That window on the front is huge. It makes this project seem more monumental as so many records are going to be broken.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, this window will be the one that is the actual aquarium not the outer building. This is what you will stand in front of as you watch the fish swim and frolick as they "normally" would in their respective environments. Now you understand the magnitude of this window. If it was merely the outside of the building that would not be as impressive as the actual window that will hold the tank.

This will be stunning.

Ironchapman, here is an example of how big the viewing window will be on the tank at the Georgia Aquarium. I found a picture which could better show how massive the window will be.

This is the viewing tank of the Churaumi Aquarium in Okinawa. It's measurements are "74' by nearly three stories tall."

I guess we had to have such a large viewing window with those Whale sharks swimming around. Oddly enough in the picture above there is a baby whale shark swimming by the attendees in Okinawa.

November 23rd can't get here quick enough. What a wonderful way to get people downtown. :thumbsup:

Ironchapman, here is an example of how big the viewing window will be on the tank at the Georgia Aquarium. I found a picture which could better show how massive the window will be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, I don't know what I was thinking at the time.

Originally, I thought it was this:

Aquarium_rendering.jpg

Actually, I kind of ruled that out soon after I posted asking what you were talking about.

• 2 months later...

Just spent some time checking out the new website. Can someone explain what the 4D theatre will be?

Going by my limited knowledge on the subject, I think 4D not only means you see three dimensional objects (get out your funky 3D glasses for this :P ) but also hassomething to do with time, which I hear is the fourth "dimension".

I can't believe it; I am so excited. I just hope they spotlight The City of Atlanta as well.

More than likely this will pretty much just be about the aquarium, but I'm sure Atlanta will get a few good shots in. :)

Spotlighting the city of Atlanta? Why, we have the travel channel for that.

Looks like the aquarium has left Ted Turner speechless!

According to this article, the aqarium has created two 30 second ads set to run later this months showing city leaders and prominent Atlantans speechless in awe of the GA Aquarium. Turner, of course, wll be one of these people.

Sounds like a good idea. Let's see how it runs.

I found this article to be particularly interesting. It says that Bernie Marcus is expected to give up the reins to the aquarium to a non-profit board of directors in about a year. He also hopes this will create a debt free aquarium upon opening, sopmething that is hard to do for an aquarium.

The Article (AJC)

If y'all want to see some cool effects of the big glass window at the Ga. Aquarium, go to the link that I posted in the New World of Coke thread of the webcam showing construction progress. Around 3 to 4:00pm, the sun reflecting through the window makes for some really cool shading on the construction site and on COP. Check it out!!! :shades:

Archived