The Georgia Aquarium

Guest donaltopablo

A 4-D theater is like the Imax ones except you "feel" what you see.

I remember on Shrek 4-D in Orlando at Universal Studios. When the Donkey sneezed,

water ( plain water ) squirted out of the seat in fron of you to make it seem as if you were sneezed on.

And there was also this part where some spiders fell on the ground on the screen. and they made this air run through you legs and feet, to make it seem as though some real spiders were on you. I hope I answere you question.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 4-D theater is like the Imax ones except you "feel" what you see.

I remember on Shrek 4-D in Orlando at Universal Studios. When the Donkey sneezed,

water ( plain water ) squirted out of the seat in fron of you to make it seem as if you were sneezed on.

And there was also this part where some spiders fell on the ground on the screen. and they made this air run through you legs and feet, to make it seem as though some real spiders were on you. I hope I answere you question.

Why couldn't I remember that? I've even been there. Thanks for clearing it up! :)

I wonder what the aquarium's will be like?

This appears to be big news.

Those of you who paid the $55 for a fish scale at the aquarium might not get to see them after all. The aquarium is being sued over copyright infringement by the Center for Transportation and Environment Inc.

That's 34,000 people we're talking about who might not get to see their fish scales. Of course, the aquarium intends to defend their case to the best of their ability.

See Article (Atlanta Business Journal)

Any thoughts? I guess I should be thankful I haven't bought one yet.

^Quite an honor indeed. I hope teshadoh will forgive me for being overly opimistic (:P) when I say that maybe one day Pemberton Place will become the next Times Square (like Atlamnta wants it to be).

I thought it would be worthy to mention that we will be getting one of the best bosses in the businessfor our aquarium. I read in the paper the other day (give me a sec and I'll find the online version of the article) that the man taking over Bernie Marcus' role was Jeff Swanagan, the man who turned the Florida Aquarium in Tampa around and brought the tank back into the black before it went into financial riun.

EDIT: Found the article:

Job second nature to aquarium’s new chief

Good stuff :shades: We'll be getting one of the best out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took my parents to the Aquarium. Wow!!!

The big tank is amazing b/c they laid it out where you don't see the other side of the tank. The giant whale sharks can be swimming straight at you and you don't even see them at first. I've been to a few aquariums in this world but never one where the tank is so big the fish disapear when they are dirrectly infront of you. It's not just the size though. Like I said they set it up where you have vistas of certain parts of the tank but not the entire tank at once. The other tanks are equally impressive but much smaller. The GA Aquarium ows alot of its success to good architectual planning. They did their homework and did an amazing job of learning from others.

Bravo!

There was a crowd around it and I didn't venture in. But that says it all. I love octopi and I didn't even try to get through the crowd. Most of the exhibits were huge and all encompassing. The octopus was in a tank that had been subdivided into three tanks with tubes that connected them. I guess the idea was to show off how thin it can make its body to get from one area to another. The tank also seemed low on the wall. The backdrop was made of tv screans that show the wonder / inteligence of octopi. Tres MTV.

I should have loved it, very cutting edge but it just didn't work b/c the octopus was not active and resting against the back wall doing nothing.

In the future when things settle down I will spend sometime there and give it a second chance b/c maybe it's an exhibit that works well when there are fewer people. Everything else seemed so well planned.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to the Aquarium on Saturday this very week. Goin' down to the A.T.L. just for that. I think its interesting that you have to enter at a certain time, is the place packed?

Moonshield, yes it's very packed. The last time my family went, I went online to order tickets. They had specific entry times (although you are not held to them strictly). There were 512 spaces left for that time. I wanted to call my parents because they wanted to come also. I didn't order the tickets because I wanted to make sure the time was good for my parents. When I was told to go ahead with the scheduled time, I went back to place the order and all 512 tickets were gone. We had to go to a whole different day.

I liked the Aquarium....my only gripe was it was so packed. I did not like tripping over the wheelchairs and babystrollers. Before I get eggs thrown at me, I realize that it is for everyone and I am not complaining about the wheelchairs...but the babystrollers. Parents, please leave the babystrollers in the car...a baby carrier will do just fine. It worked fine for me.

tomy-freestyler-carrier.jpg

I'm going to the Aquarium on Saturday this very week. Goin' down to the A.T.L. just for that. I think its interesting that you have to enter at a certain time, is the place packed?

They still "sell out" every weekend which means no walk up tickets can be purchased. Theyre rapidly approaching 1 million visitors in about 4 months!

Well, we have a bit of good news as to how the Aquarium has contributed to the community...

Downtown businesses, attractions reap bounty from aquarium (AJC)

Businesses and attractions around and catering to the aquarium are swimming in customers drawn in by proximity.

Several downtown hotels and restaurants that rely on conventions for most of their business said they saw a sharp increase in their bottom line in December and January, after the aquarium opened in late November.

Good to see the aquarium is helping provide a boom (of sorts) for the surrounding areas. I wonder if the new Coke museum will help in a similar way to downtown businesses?

Now if only I could make my way down there to see it...

^^ Fantastic!

Also it was reported on another forum that Legacy Property group has changed their plans for the parking deck next to the aquarium. They will demolish the existing parking deck rather than build on top of it and will build a Hilton Garden Inn with some very nice retail from scratch. The new plan is reported to be much more attractive than what we saw in the Business Chronicle a while back.

Can't wait for it to break ground. :thumbsup:

Are you allowed to take cameras in the aquarium?

Like atlmangum said, you can.

HOWEVER, you might want to know that most areas of the aquarium are pretty dimly lit. There are some exhibits with "No Flash" signs over them, but from what I understand, flashes are allowed in some exhibits. Camera equipment (i.e. tripods) and backpacks are allowed but you will have to go through a security screening first (though it is pretty light when compared to what you have to go through at the airport).

Yeah! how many do you think it'll have by next November?

I would not be surprised if the 2,500,000th customer walks door just before November 23rd. The Aquarium is a changing exhibit. What my family of eleven saw in January will be different when we go back in March. I am so excited....and it was a gift given to Atlanta. Thank you Mr Marcus.

Archived