The Georgia Aquarium

Guest donaltopablo

But still, Out of all of the cities in the whole country, they chose Myrtle Beach. I think It would have been better in Charlotte, New York, Atlanta, or LA. But lets not discuss this, let's just go back to the topic. ( THE GEORGIA AQUARIUM )

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But still, Out of all of the cities in the whole country, they chose Myrtle Beach.  I think It would have been better in Charlotte, New York, Atlanta, or LA. But lets not discuss this, let's just go back to the topic. ( THE GEORGIA AQUARIUM )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is not the only Ripleys ...there's several in touristy locations. I've been to one and I don't even remember where..Niagara maybe?

But still, Out of all of the cities in the whole country, they chose Myrtle Beach.  I think It would have been better in Charlotte, New York, Atlanta, or LA. But lets not discuss this, let's just go back to the topic. ( THE GEORGIA AQUARIUM )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Outside of Disney World, Myrtle Beach is the busiest tourist location in the Southeast in terms of visitors. That is why so much stuff such as this is located there. They have a Planet Hollywood, one of two NASCAR fun parks (other is in CLT), a NASCAR restaurant, a Hard Rock cafe, etc.

The area where the Aquarium is located is called Broadway at the Beach which was just expanded again. There are tens of thousands there every evening and because the people change over few days, it is always busy. (Although the Ripley's Museum and 4D theater are located on Ocean Blvd)

There is a Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum in St. Augustine Florida too.  I think it is the Original Museum because I can remember going there as a kid 20 years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is. The museum in FL is where most of the original "artifacts" are. It's the one that started it all. To make the Ripley's brand more profitable, they expanded the concept to other cities.

Back to the GA Aquarium... The AJC has been posting frequent updates to their site. Here's a section that lists recent articles. (Registration Required) The latest news is they recently got a delivery of 100,000 fish from Taiwan. The group includes batfish, sea goblins, bowmouth guitarfish and giant grouper. I'm getting excited about the opening. I can't wait for this and then the new World of Coke to open.

Is Taiwan the only place where they are getting the fish?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, but a lot of the fish they're getting from Asia can only be seen in aquariums in Asia. This will make the museum unique within the U.S. and guarantee higher attendence numbers. The aquarium is also serving as a research center, so getting some of these fish in the States will be good for the science community. Atlanta already as a pretty high profile among scientists with so many important institutions there, like GA Tech, Emory and the CDC. The aquarium will be good for that image. :)

But It just seems strange for it here in Atlanta. It's all far away from water. ( the Chatahoochee doesn't seem "aquatic" enough.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it's strange. OTOH, the Shedd isn't near any "real" aquatic sources either. I believe the age of aquariums only being near oceans is coming to an end. I'd like to see people everywhere have the opportunity to see animal and plant life they wouldn't ordinarily see. It might spur more activism to save our oceans. (Kind of ironic, no?)

Yeah, it's strange. OTOH, the Shedd isn't near any "real" aquatic sources either. I believe the age of aquariums only being near oceans is coming to an end. I'd like to see people everywhere have the opportunity to see animal and plant life they wouldn't ordinarily see. It might spur more activism to save our oceans. (Kind of ironic, no?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is understandable, as the residents of non-coastal states should have the same educational/recreational opportunities that aquariums afford coastal state citizens.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder why they are moving the World of Coke museum? It seems like a fairly decent place to me. I guess they wanna be closer to their corporate HQ and the somewhat decline of Underground. What will they ever do with the former World of Coke building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is an excellent question.

I wonder why they are moving the World of Coke museum? It seems like a fairly decent place to me. I guess they wanna be closer to their corporate HQ and the somewhat decline of Underground. What will they ever do with the former World of Coke building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, for one thing they want to expand their exhibit space and make it more fluid so they can change out the different exhibits. I don't think they've changed the one now since it opened in 1990 or there abouts. It would be kind of hard to add on to the one they have now. Plus I would agree that the Underground area isn't exactly tourist material. The Centennial park area will be much nicer than the Underground when its all completed. You'll have the new aquarium, CNN, the new World of Coke, the Children's Museum, the Tabernacle, Phillips Arena and of course Centennial Park all right there within a matter of blocks from one another.

This will be a great addition to the Centennial Olympic Park area. For those of us who remember this part of Atlanta 15 years ago, this is a world of difference. I love the transformation of the area and I love how pedestrian friendly the area is becoming. I wonder will they add a Starbucks, Bernies or Caribou?

Between the Aquarium, the CNN Center, the Children's Museum, the park, the new World of Coca Cola and the plethora of dining options you could spend all day there with or without the children. Add to that the option of two transit stations and have a great way to entertain the children.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Every trip I take downtown now, it looks better and better. Shirley might actually pull off revitalizing that area. :) I might have to move back soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for replying twice in this thread... They wanted a larger museum space for starters. One thing they want to do for sure, is to greatly expand the tasting room. (Yay!) Also, they're trying to redirect some of the bar traffic in Atlanta to the Underground area and make the park area more touristy.

I agree. Every trip I take downtown now, it looks better and better. Shirley might actually pull off revitalizing that area. :) I might have to move back soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I am really excited especially about that area. With over 1000 condos either under construction or planned, there will be some nice critical mass in that concentrated area. I also forgot that Philips Arena is a block or two away. Basketball or Hockey can be had at this venue. This will be a definitely tourist trap.....and can perhaps enhance or status in the convention industry. Las Vegas and Orlando have been nipping at our heels for some time now. The biggest complaint was that there was not much for the families of conventioneers to do.

Girly, where did you move to from Atlanta and what was your decision based on. If it's personal I do apologize for asking.

Girly, where did you move to from Atlanta and what was your decision based on. If it's personal I do apologize for asking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We moved to Charlotte. I'm originally from Atlanta and do love living there. Unfortunately, my husband got a job he really wanted at Microsoft so we moved here. At the risk of offending a few forumners, I never would've chosen Charlotte myself. It's nice, but it lacks a lot of the big city feel Atlanta has. Plus, the shopping here is no where near as good as Atlanta's.

More exciting news about the new Georgia Aquarium........

Famed chef Wolfgang Puck to oversee aquarium eats.....

This is very good as Wolfgang's restuarant here in Atlanta has been doing very well. I am so glad to see that Bernie Marcus is doing whatever he can to ensure that the Georgia Aquarium will become a destination for more than just viewing fish.

Story in the AJC here:

More Aquarium news.

How exciting. :D

Archived