The Georgia Aquarium

Guest donaltopablo

• 2 months later...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anybody been keeping track of our sick beluga whale?

Just learned some sad news today:

Gasper the Whale Has Died

Gasper, the beloved beluga whale who became a star of the Georgia Aquarium, was euthanized this morning after months of declining health.

The ghost-white whale, who had fought a deadly bone disease for months, had stopped eating on his own several weeks ago and aquarium officials said at the time his chances of survival were slim.

May he rest in peace.

• 4 months later...

A bit of news for you aquarium fans out there: the aquarium will have two new members joining its family!

Taiwan approves export of 2 whale sharks

Two more whale sharks are coming to the Georgia Aquarium, most likely in June.

Representatives of Taiwan's Fisheries Agency announced Thursday that the department had approved exporting the male whale sharks, caught in March in the Philippine Sea.

I look forward to their arrival. I'll have to go see them when they come. I hope they remain healthy, not just while we are waiting for their arrival, but also while they are here at the GA Aquarium (remember what happened to Ralph?).

So, what do you think their names should be? (Get your creative juices flowing.....)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, a little more sad news. I'm sure most of you are aware by now, but Ralph's buddy, Norton, has also passed. May he rest in peace.

I think they should let the fish go. They weren't made to swim around for our viewing pleasure in concrete tanks built next to an interstate highway. There's no natural river, lake or seashore for miles around.

:(

• 3 years later...

Happy Fifth Birthday to the Georgia Aquarium.

It seems like these past five years have gone by so quicky. I remembered when it first opened. Through all of the kinks in the beginning, the Georgia Aquarium has turned into a very successful research facility as well as a tourist magnet. Currently the center is in the midst of a $110 million expansion that will house the new dolphin exhibit opening in 2011. Since it's opening five years ago, it has welcomed a little more than 13,000,000 guest. That's an average of a whopping 2.6 million guest a year. It has had a $1 billion economic impact on Atlanta and Georgia. With new exhibits being introduced what seems to be annually, there is always another reason to go.

Big congratulations to the Georgia Aquarium and Happy Fifth Birthday!

Archived