Lionstone Development

Flowers

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another thing to remember is the two parking decks pictured are not directly up against Division Street, only the corner of one of them is.

The parking decks are actually against Music Circle East, which is a little side road that connects between the interstate entrance ramp and Division St.

• 1 month later...

Even though it is only 10 stories tall, this will be very prominent on top of the hill. The other round-a-bout office building is only 8 stories, but looks much larger from I-40 because of the hilltop location.

Along with the 14 story Rythm Condos, the 22 story Eakins Office Building and the two 25+ story West End Summit towers, the skyline will certainly stretch to the west.

Even though it is only 10 stories tall, this will be very prominent on top of the hill. The other round-a-bout office building is only 8 stories, but looks much larger from I-40 because of the hilltop location.

Along with the 14 story Rythm Condos, the 22 story Eakins Office Building and the two 25+ story West End Summit towers, the skyline will certainly stretch to the west.

Oe thing I've got to ask...how can the city use eminent domain to get someone to sell their property when the land is going to be used for personal business like an office tower or hotel? That basically tells all of us that we can go buy property and build a house or a small business, but if someone wants to come buy us out and build something that will bring more property taxes to the city, we will have "eminent domain" slapped on us with no way to actually keep the property we love.

I do think the little studio is one ugly building, but I hate that the city can make this lady sell her land to make way for a hotel and office tower. That smacks of "bully-ism" in my opinion.

The Supreme Court in Kelo v. New London case (the one MDHA may assert) basically held that the private developers plans to "economically rejuvenate" an area as authorized by the city constitutes "public use" under eminent domain. In that case, it was nine owners refusing to sell blocking the building of a waterfront hotel, restaurants, retail and offices. The city of New London wanted to "build momentum for the revitalization of downtown." The Court sided with the city.

If I remember correctly, this was a fairly controversial case. I can see both sides of it. It sucks for the landowner(s) who wants the highest buyout possible and/or have sentimental attachment to the property. On the flip side, said landowner(s) might keep a project that obviously has a substantial public benefit from happening for their own personal reasons.

If the MDHA has made it a goal to invigorate Music Row, which I believe they probably clearly have in recent years, Ms. Ford will probably be SOL. In Kelo, there were nine landowners of property that wasn't even blighted but the public benefit of the private project still outweighed their private ones. Here, we have one owner who's property is rapidly becoming out of step with its' surroundings and there's probably no purpose the building could serve that would make it more valuable to the neighborhood and city than the Lionstone Development. The outcome would likely be different if this was a holdout of a farm out near the proposed May Town Center development as they can simply build around it. However, this is right in the core in an area that's heating up and this project will certainly make Music Row a greater success. I'm sure Ms. Ford will receive adequate compensation for her property.

I took care of deleting the post for you Eastofnowhere that you had in question.

Please remember to post cemmentary with your newspaper articles and not just the article itsself. I had to delete a post. I have been guilty of this myself because I have gotten in a hurry and forgot to cut and paste everything. One thing you can do is use the preview post feature to look at the post before you actually post it.

I thought after looking at the original rendering yesterday, that this building was only going to be 10 stories. At least it is 12 now. Could not tell a lot from the rendering.

I am surprised that it was not on the Earl Swensson site considering it is his HQ building.

The eminent domain issue is a hard one for me to swallow because of property owners rights. What is so funny is that the building in question is a crappy looking building, and I cant imagine why they would want to hold on to it at that location.

I took care of deleting the post for you Eastofnowhere that you had in question.

Please remember to post cemmentary with your newspaper articles and not just the article itsself. I had to delete a post. I have been guilty of this myself because I have gotten in a hurry and forgot to cut and paste everything. One thing you can do is use the preview post feature to look at the post before you actually post it.

Me too. I have mixed emotions on this. There's are times when I think exercising eminent domain makes sense (lucrative offers made and turned down that prevents a development that greatly benefits the city and its populace), and this case may fall in that category. However, there will always be the danger that such power could be abused and people's liberty taken away from them wrongly.

I think this project should start soon, but as for the hotel and condo portion of the project, it may be a while. I do think what Hankster saw on bid clerk is the rest of the project out for bid as I have seen it before but with the office portion included. My guess is that contracts have been awarded to bidders for the office portion.

I think this project should start soon, but as for the hotel and condo portion of the project, it may be a while. I do think what Hankster saw on bid clerk is the rest of the project out for bid as I have seen it before but with the office portion included. My guess is that contracts have been awarded to bidders for the office portion.

Archived