Lionstone Development

Flowers

There is an article in the Tennessean today concerning the eminent domain issue and a response from the lady that owns the property. I dont fully understand her response for the simple reason that she could move to another location in the music row area. The retail and the hotel and office involved here will compliment the area. On the other hand I do have a problem with eminent domain issue.

If they build around this property, then she or her family will not get near what it is worth later down the road. It is better to be involved in the development than to have the property eventually go to waist as a probable surface lot in the future.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS02/803230383

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is an article in the Tennessean today concerning the eminent domain issue and a response from the lady that owns the property. I dont fully understand her response for the simple reason that she could move to another location in the music row area. The retail and the hotel and office involved here will compliment the area. On the other hand I do have a problem with eminent domain issue.

If they build around this property, then she or her family will not get near what it is worth later down the road. It is better to be involved in the development than to have the property eventually go to waist as a probable surface lot in the future.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS02/803230383

I read the article and it boils down to this women's greed. I think they should just build around her shabby little building and be done with it. I would not try any further negotiations with her. If they build around her, she'll never be able to sale that property and that'll be good for her. I would build/design the building knowing that one day that property will be up for sale. Looking at her photo in the article, she doesn't appear to have many years left anyway.

Country International Records doesn't even have a website, as far as I can tell. Whatever artists and songwriters who depend on Ms. Ford and her company must be desperate, as it seems the glory years of the business have long passed. I seriously doubt she has any credibility in the music business. She obviously doesn't have the money to keep her property looking presentable. Even so, $600,000 does not seem like a fair price for that prime piece of land. Her demand for $12M is ridiculous, but $1M would seem more appropriate for both sides. I hope she sells, but I also hope she doesn't get ripped off. To say this specific site is "blighted" might be a stretch, but it's certainly unattractive on all counts. Speaking of websites, Lionstone has the most uninteresting developer website I've ever seen.

Country International Records doesn't even have a website, as far as I can tell. Whatever artists and songwriters who depend on Ms. Ford and her company must be desperate, as it seems the glory years of the business have long passed. I seriously doubt she has any credibility in the music business. She obviously doesn't have the money to keep her property looking presentable. Even so, $600,000 does not seem like a fair price for that prime piece of land. Her demand for $12M is ridiculous, but $1M would seem more appropriate for both sides. I hope she sells, but I also hope she doesn't get ripped off. To say this specific site is "blighted" might be a stretch, but it's certainly unattractive on all counts. Speaking of websites, Lionstone has the most uninteresting developer website I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad Ford finally came to her senses. It was clear all along that she simply wanted more money and eminent domain was just tossed around to provoke her to sell at a reasonable price. $12 million was ludicrous. Hopefully this also means talks can open back up for a high-end hotelier like W again.

I do too, but I also think her intentions for holding the property were strictly monetary and nothing else. It's funny how she was willing to sell for 12 million. I don't think if words "eminent domain" had come into the equation, she would have never been willing to negotiate.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think so, she had a dramatic thing on the news on Tuesday claiming that her piece of property had national implications, and that she was as important as the State Capitol (I'm not kidding). I think this woman is nuts. She also claimed that they had published 'billions' of songs. Delusions of Grandeur? They showed a rendering of what the development will look like if she doesn't sell out, and it's laughable.... it'll look ridiculous.

Edit - here's the link

http://www.wsmv.com/video/16068193/

Looks more, to me, that the D.C. lawyers want a bit of the spotlight as this could become a national interest story. It pains me, on one hand, that the images projected by the property owner and "friends" on possibly national tv will appear as they would have 30 years ago, somewhat unsophisticated, bad haircuts, bad clothes. Robert Altman is loving it. One the other hand, Ms. Ford does have a right to fight for what she believes, if that's what happening here.

All I see is greed. She can hope for the best price possible and the lawyers can fight till the cows come home and politely take their haul of Ms. Ford's cash home with them in their suitcase. In this case, it appears to me that MDHA is her best bet. At least the money will go into her pocket.

She is obviously not looking out for her best interests financially. If she were she would take there offer and run. To anyone that says Lionstone's offer wasn't up to par, are you serious? She owns a shack, that is worth half what they were offering. I am no fan of eminent domain, but she has to be insane to refuse their offers. I say Lionstone builds something that cover property and then she can ask what she wants.

Why doesn't she just move the company along with all her memorabilia into the new office building after it's finished. In my opinion, it's basically an eyesore for the area that needs to be torn down. Its the memorabilia that has any importance, not the building. Her obstinence, grossly overinflated sense of worth, and greed (more than likely) is pretty evident.

You can debate all day long whether the price she is being offered for her property is fair or unfair or if she would be better off financially if she took the offer But she OWNS the property. It is sad that there is even a debate about whether the government has the right to force this woman to sell her property (at ANY price) so they can give it to a private developer. Maybe she has sentimental attachments to the property, maybe she is greedy, maybe she has an axe to grind with the developer, maybe she doesn't want to deal with the tax ramifications of a sale or the reinvestment decision, maybe she has a family member with whom she doesn't want to split the proceeds of a sale - no matter what her reasons, it is her property to decide. We have no say-so in her property have no right to decide if the property needs to be torn down because we would like to see something better.

The more rights the government grabs "for the common good", the worse off we all will be.

this woman is really starting to become annoying. Being a Urban Nashville aficionado, I really want this project to happen as I think it would add a lot to Music Row. I have a very hard time believing this woman is a victim of eminent domain, just take your money and leave please.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived