Lionstone Development

Flowers

Well, I guess I can jump in a little. IMO, the Supreme Court grossly misinterpreted the meaning of the constitution when they made their last ruling on this issue. I really think the project can move forward with out this little piece of land that stands in the way, but it is hers and the area, IMO is not blighted. It may look like crap and be out of character with the area now, but the building is in no way a safety issue and this is not a municipal project. It all comes down to individual rights.

Lionstone needs to go ahead and build around it and have a contingency plan for that property when it comes available and it will at some point in time.

I know many of us want large developments to go through but when do we say enough is enough when it comes to giving the local, state, and federal government too much power. Its the same issue with trans-fatty acids, now with the state of CA banning them. If someone wants to eat crap, then let them. If someone wants to smoke, then let them as long as it is not affecting my health. This is a matter of principal and I am afraid we have let the Jeni out of the bottle.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem Ron is it does affect you when someone smokes and even when they eat crap. Second hand smoke, the cost of insurance, healthcare, loss of workplace productivity and on and on and on.It also affects you when your government loses opportunities to create jobs, tax revenue, etc. EVEN if it is in partnership with the private sector. As stated in Phil Ryans' comments, this is the 6th developer that has tried to work with this parcel. Do you think the building that Joy owns is creating as much revenue and jobs etc. as the larger development would. I understand the sentiment in this, but I believe it could be win-win for everyone and I do not believe Ms. Ford is genuine in her desires.

There has been an apparent comprimise from MDHA and Lionstone put pn the table. Under the compromise proposed by MDHA and the Lionstone Group, a portion of the parking lot surrounding Fords property will be acquired by Lionstone. Ford would then be able to continue operating Country International Records at its current location. An MDHA press release states,

There has been an apparent comprimise from MDHA and Lionstone put pn the table. Under the compromise proposed by MDHA and the Lionstone Group, a portion of the parking lot surrounding Fords property will be acquired by Lionstone. Ford would then be able to continue operating Country International Records at its current location. An MDHA press release states,

• 4 weeks later...

Tennessean Article today...

MDHA has asked to delay the eminent domain seizure... so that the new proposal can be considered.

Lionstone would acquire half of Joy Ford's property... the parking lot... she would be paid for the property, and given free parking for life in the new garage to be built.

Sounds pretty fair to me... I highly doubt she uses the parking lot very often!

Sounds like a fair offer to me, and one that she would have a hard time justifying turning down since it wouldn't disturb the building that is obviously sentimental to her. However, if she does reject the offer, than I still would not support the eminent domain.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Some good news in this down time. It looks like this might actually start this year?! :shok:

This was first posted on the Charrette.

Blurb of the article.

Possible Baker Donelson move could have big impact on Lionstone project

Nashville Business Journal - by Turner Hutchens Staff Writer

McKinnon says Lionstone is in talks with a prospective tenant so large that the $75 million, 12-story, 250,000-square-foot building would have to be expanded by about 10 percent, adding at least one additional floor to the office tower and one floor to the project’s parking garage.

Hmmm....didn't think about that. Great point. However, I am hoping it goes like this: the people moving out needed a bigger place, the Commerce Center can find a replacement that was in the original occupants shoes when they first moved in to the building. So basically it is moving up the chain, if that makes sense. This is just my optimistic view :).

Archived