Toronto: World's skinniest skyscraper u/c

G W North

Here are 3 pictures of 1 King West I took on Sunday. I apologize for the quality. I didn't even get out of my car to take them, LOL. I just snapped them when I was stopped at red lights.

1 King West is 51 stories, 578 feet. Pictures do not do justice to how thin it is, you really have to see it in person. What else is interesting is that in most cities a new 578 footer would be very noticeable (in some cities even the tallest building), but in Toronto's CBD it is absolutely dwarfed by it's neighbours. It can't even be seen from the West (which offers the best skyline view) because it sits behind much, much taller (and wider) buildings.

As you can see, it is just a fraction the width of nearby skyscrapers

IM003519.JPG

The construction in the foreground is a 4-skyscraper condo complex

IM003520.JPG

IM003521.JPG

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!!! What a cool building! Everyone will have a view! Even a higher quality pic couldn't better highlight how nice this building is. I wish they would build ones in Boston like it but DT is too close to the airport.

I wish they would build ones in Boston like it but DT is too close to the airport.

I don't get what you're saying. Downtown Boston has taller buildings. I believe Boston's tallest is close to 800 feet isn't it?

The stie to this tower is http://www.1kingwest.com

The bottom 15 floors of this project are actually very fat, as it incorporated the 15-story, 1913 Dominion Bank Building. Thankfully Toronto is very much into saving old buildings so you virtually never see large older buildings torn down any more. The new tower is being build alongside (and touching) the old building so that they will essentially create one building.

Here is skyscraper.com's site for it:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=101423

Archived