3 Favorite City Places...

urban_izzy

I came across this today on youtube, this guy is asking people to make video responses telling him about the best places to be within your city.

The link will take you to the video, Three favorite city places.

I don't have a video camera so I will not be making a response however it would be nice to see someone post something. I would have to say my 3 favorite Detroit places would be 1. Ren Cen/Riverwalk area 2. MCS and many other historic grand buildings 3. Greektown with honorable mention to the Stadiums and Venues.

Be sure to check out the 90 or so video responses from all around the world.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes, tough!

Well, Campus Martius, and downtown in general.

The Fisher Building. A lot of the time I've been there has been for the theater, all dressed up and stuff. It has that special Art Deco ambiance to it I guess. I also remember when I was a kid looking out of one of the office windows, and that was special too.

Off the top of my head I don't think there's a third one that's particularly special to me personally.

• 4 weeks later...

What is MCS? I only ask as I will be in Detroit for the first half of January. Not sure if I'll get much time to see any sights, but I am staying on Riverwalk and I love Pastitchio and ouzo, so will have to stop by Greektown, which I understand is accesable by the People Mover. But I wish to be prepared to amuse myself should I be given the opportunity.

Thanks!

MCS is Michigan Central Station, located just west of downtown Detroit. It's an architectural attraction much like Grand Central Station in Manhattan except that MCS is abandoned. It's arguably Michigan's most famous "ruin" and is worth the visit if you don't mind walking a long ways or taking a bus to get to it since it is not within close proximity of a people mover Station. It's located just off Michigan Ave, a short ways down from old Tiger Stadium

The building tends to be a favorite among many because of its mystery, architectural beauty, and symbolism of the end of the railroad dynasty.

Here's some of UP member Zissou's photos that tell the story best.

http://flickr.com/photos/southen/sets/72157603340002047/

Archived