Congdon and Carpenter Block

I came across this tucked away in the ProJo Business Bulletins.

"Capital Properties buys historic area: Capital Properties, of East Providence, told federal regulators it has acquired property at the corner of Canal Street and Steeple Street in Providence for $2.3 million in cash from David L. Golden. The historic property includes three different attached buildings, with one dating to 1794. A restaurant, 3 Steeple Street Bistro & Bar, is located on the first floor of the property at 125 Canal St. Capital Properties is putting together a plan to develop the property, said Todd Turcotte, a company spokesman who on Jan. 1 will become vice president of the company and president of Capital Terminal Co., a wholly owned subsidiary. Capital Properties (CPI:Nasdaq) owns other downtown Providence properties, conducts petroleum terminal operations and also runs public parking facilities."

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the Providence Preservation Society Industrial Sites and Commercial Buildings Survey 2001-2002, this building is part of the Industrial and Commercial Buildings District (ICBD) - see below link. Any plan to demolish these properties would have to be approved by Providence Historic District Commission (PHDC). Here is the Zoning Ordinance section that describes PHDC.

The HDC shall be authorized to regulate the construction, demolition, change in any exterior structure and/or appurtenance within any historic district identified on the Providence Overlay Zoning District Maps of the Official Zoning Map adopted in accordance with this ordinance and identified by section 102.

According to the Providence Preservation Society Industrial Sites and Commercial Buildings Survey 2001-2002, this building is part of the Industrial and Commercial Buildings District (ICBD) - see below link. Any plan to demolish these properties would have to be approved by Providence Historic District Commission (PHDC). Here is the Zoning Ordinance section that describes PHDC.

HDC is not required to review any development plan for ICBD buildings that are "intended to be rehabilitated, restored, or recycled for any permitted use in accordance with the zoning ordinance."

Congdon and Carpenter Company Building -- George and Smith Owen Building

This seems like the perfect place to ease the parking burden created by WaterFire. It's right next door! And, people at RISD might get a better view of the State House from certain locations. This is a win win win for everyone.

:sick:

The ICBD doesn't prevent arson.

People should be vigilant. But to me the Projo blurb sounds like it's just a rehash from a company press release. It doesn't say anything about demo'ing. In fact, it emphasizes the historic status of the building, not exactly the strategy to use if you're going to try to knock it down.

BTW, I looked up the company (Capital Properties) on the tax assessor website. They own the Citizens Building and some other properties in Capital Center, not just parking lots.

Those buildings are very distinctive and I can't imagine anyone demoing them. That being said, I'm relieved that the buildings are mostly occupied and within the College Hill District which means the HDC will be reviewing whatever is proposed. It's also in a highly visible site with a fire station about a block away so I don't think they could pull a Grove Street.

While nothing is selling like hotcakes right now, condo sales are actually up recently, and that building is one of the only ones in the city that people don't have to worry about parking at, so I could possibly see condos going in there. I'd certainly buy one of them if I could.

I'd have to say that there is NO WAY these building will be torn down. One of them is the oldest industrial building in the state.

I remember Fast Forward records. I would live in that building in a second, but I couldn't afford a place for more than the lower 200Ks. I'm waiting for a downtown condo that has around 1200 sf of living space, a roof-top park/deck, and is under 300k.

I love the ramshackle nature of that building. There's a new vintage store in there...1790 shoppe...something like that. My theory is they'll restore the bldg, because why would they want to lose a tenant whose name has been synonymous with the building's address for so long (steeple st)? Besides, foodies would protest the loss of new rivers, aka where al forno used to be.

Around the corner on North Main, the cast-iron front Elizabeth Bldg is getting a much-needed facelift, and there's a new sign outside Chinese Laundry and a newly painted red storefront.

Archived