Does Tallahassee deserve to be the capital?

fsubelch

I am not sure how we compare to other states, but geographically (is that a word?) speaking, is Tallahassee the best location for the state capital? It seems very strange that the Florida capital is so far out of the loop so to speak from the rest of the state. Not only based on geography, but based on pretty much everything. You must admit, the lifestyle is much differant in just about every other part of the state. I understand that years ago Tallahassee made perfect sense to be the capital, but now the vast majority of our state is many hours south of us, is Tallahassee still the practical site for the capital city?

I am not saying we need to change this, just had me wondering today. Has any other state ever moved there capital city out of one city into another? Imagine what that would do to Tallahassee. Let's just hope it never comes to that (which I think we can safely say that won't every happen).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not sure how we compare to other states, but geographically (is that a word?) speaking, is Tallahassee the best location for the state capital? It seems very strange that the Florida capital is so far out of the loop so to speak from the rest of the state. Not only based on geography, but based on pretty much everything. You must admit, the lifestyle is much differant in just about every other part of the state. I understand that years ago Tallahassee made perfect sense to be the capital, but now the vast majority of our state is many hours south of us, is Tallahassee still the practical site for the capital city?

I am not saying we need to change this, just had me wondering today. Has any other state ever moved there capital city out of one city into another? Imagine what that would do to Tallahassee. Let's just hope it never comes to that (which I think we can safely say that won't every happen).

No, there's the issue of being nearer to your economic engines, being closer to a majority of the states population, and seeing how gas is hovering around 3.10/gallon, transportation is no small issue. Not to mention the lack of amenities the city has for its employees we so often talk about in these forums.

If you look at it as a non-resident/cheerleader, there are plenty of reasons to deny that this is the best location for the state capital.

No, there's the issue of being nearer to your economic engines, being closer to a majority of the states population, and seeing how gas is hovering around 3.10/gallon, transportation is no small issue. Not to mention the lack of amenities the city has for its employees we so often talk about in these forums.

If you look at it as a non-resident/cheerleader, there are plenty of reasons to deny that this is the best location for the state capital.

A plus for Tallahassee is its proximity to other nearby state capitals. Montgomery is 200 miles away and Atlanta 250. I guess back in the day that would have meant more than today with air travel. Columbia and Jackson are a bit further.

Another big plus for Tally is that were probably the best area of Florida when it comes to natural disasters. The hilly terrain helps in floods. Where inland and near a coast that does not get many direct hits from hurricanes. Where not on the peninsula so when it comes to evacuation of the city or other cities coming here where not bottlenecked by the roads like they are in the southern part of the state. During a statewide crises the captial needs to still function.

We don't want to be Georgia either. Georgia has all of its eggs in one basket with Atlanta. Florida has done a better job of spreading the wealth around so to speak. North Carolina would be a similiar state in that respect as well. Northern Florida needs Tallahassee to be the capital, with out it would be one of the poorest regions in the country.

If you had asked this same question a hunderd or so years earlier Tallahassee would have been the only natural choice for sure.

Great topic for debate, I hope we never loose that debate.

No need to be nearer to "economic engines" although it may be a desire of yours. For what reason would we move closer to them, so they can have more influence over our policy? I've never heard people in any industry complain about not being near government, nor have I heard it complained the other way around.

Lack of amenities such as???? A performing arts center, a research park?! One of which on the way, the other very much possible. I think those are the only major things discussed here on UP that we lack.

If you know of several reasons to deny this as the best location beyond what has already been said about traveling distance, please share a few GG? It's my job to be a cheerleader unless given a good reason to do otherwise, right now I can comfortably say Florida made the right decision leaving things as they long have been. There are more reasons to support this location as most suitable than arguments against it.

The statement about the hurricane's really make sense. Tallahassee is prolly the best place for a hurricane not to hit. When was the last time Tallahassee was effected by a hurricane, early 90's????I got here in 2002 and haven't seen much of anything when it comes to that.

Another point that was interesting to read was how close we are to our surrounding state capitals. I guess that helps too. I am glad I brought this topic up and anxious to continue to read about this and see what people think.

The more I think about it, the capital doesn't have to be the most popular place or most attractive place in the state. I know many people, like myself that are always wanting more of this or more of that to come to our city, but when it comes down to it, none of the amenities make a capital city a capital. Tallahassee is a fine capital in my opinion, just because we lack things that other cities have doesn't take away from our history and our capital city.

I was going to edit, but figured a new post would be more clear. These two links will help make my point on things for state employees to do compared to say, Orlando.

Orange County

http://www.eflorida.com/profiles/CountyRep...amp;Display=all

Leon County

http://www.eflorida.com/profiles/CountyRep...amp;Display=all

(scroll to the bottom of the pages under quality of life)

Also, while I guess its nice to be close to other state capitals, state legislatures rarely interact with each other, so in terms of state business, there is little benefit there.

Interesting topic and good discussion. Many great points both for and against Tally being the Capital City have already been made.

I'll just mentioned the fact of not having "all your eggs in one basket" is a great point. Especially now since South FL and Central FL are competing to become the dominate area of the state. I feel it's good to have the Capitol removed from this tug of war. I've always like FL b/c we are not the City-State that is Georgia or Massachusetts. I'd be especially disappointed to see our Capitol move to the circus that is Orlando. I'm glad that idea failed in the early 70's even though we are left w/the gigantic phallic to remind us of that movement.

The inland safety from Hurricanes/disasters is also a great point

As far as having nothing to do here, like FL pointed out, there's many many smaller capital city's than Tally. Have you ever been to Montpelier? If so, you'll know there's more to do in Monticello on a Tuesday night than there is in Montpelier on a Friday night.

Also Tally is no further from Miami than Sacramento is from San Diego. That's another state that is glad to have their capital removed from the rivalry of SF Bay vs LA.

So I hope it never moves and even w/the reasons for moving the Capitol, I still prefer it here. I think many North Floridians especially in the Capital Region are far more aware of what the whole State of FL is. From my experience in South FL, most folks have allegiance to their old home states and know little to nothing about FL. Common question I always got "Is FSU the one in Gainesville or Tally?" And they'd lived in South FL for over ten years.

Finally maybe the gas/traveling thing won't be that big of a deal in years to come w/new technology and telecommuting???

Well, first of all, Ive never said they need to move it. Im just saying that it is naiive to say that there are no other significant/legitimate reasons not to.

It has nothing to do with what I think or want. I like it here, thats why I chose to live and work here. I hear this from the people who play the game regularly, how much more cooperation there could be between business and government if it wasnt such a, and i quote, "pain in the ass to go to Tallahassee." Im curious how many people in how many different industry's you've talked to about this. I've got people in GM, development, banking...all say the same thing.

Yes, lack of amenities, such as restaurants (much higher quality than what is here, as well as variety), newer neighborhoods, professional sports teams, amusement parks (water, etc, not at the same level as Disney), decent malls, an airport that doesnt want your first-born child to travel to a connecting city, close proximity to other towns with these amenities. So much more than a PAC, and I dont know many state employees who want to hang out at a research park on there day off.

I've given arguments against this (economic, population, efficiency, quality of life for employees, etc), but if they're not singing Tallahassee's praises, you dismiss them. In your opinion and in your point of view, there are more reasons, but to those who make it happen, they would love to see it moved.

And your right, theres nothing wrong with being a cheerleader, as long as you dont do so blindly.

As a South Florida native, I always felt that Tallahassee is a bit removed from the rest of the state. Personally I don't feel like that is a good thing.

Overcrowding is a big issues down south, especially with schools, roadways, etc. Tallahassee doesn't have this issue. Insurance costs are through the roof; Tallahassee, safe from the most of the natural disasters, doesn't have to deal with this. South Florida is a melting pot of alot of different cultures. Tallahassee might see a international student now and then.

When I was living in South Florida, there was the sentiment that the folks in Tallahassee don't understand. Many of you enjoy the slower pace of life here in Tallahassee. Life is South Florida is far from slow and it frustrating when you want to get something done.

It is easy to be isloated in Tallahassee. The majority of the state is four hours away at least. Most states are smaller than Florida.

Not to say there aren't good things about being able to take a step back from the situation (as it has been mentioned), but there are some drawbacks too.

Of course. It is too late to do anything about it now. There is no way in hell that the state can move it's capital now. Property prices are though the roof in South Florida. Your average joe Firefighter and Suzy Teacher can't even afford a home. The state would have to raise the salaries of every state employee that relocated south. And that is not including buying/renting office space. The government can simply not afford to move.

In my dealings with people throughout the state, namely inspectors who are my eyes and ears in South Florida, I'm told and I quote "They (the business owners and developers) are lucky they're not in Tallahassee, or they would have had their license taken away years ago." Businesses regard government as eyes in their business, unless they're looking for handouts then suddenly they want to cooperate. For that reason, why would government relocate to be closer to an industry that at any given time could change directions? If anything, the industry, if they want to be closer, should move to be near the government.

The desire for higher caliber restaurants would pander only to a wealthy privileged few, not the masses of our state population who require the services of government. Tallahassee offers choices for those who seek finer dining, but I'm happy we offer more for those who maintain a more practical lifestyle. Newer neighborhoods?? Southwood, Fallschase, Welaunee (Canopy), Evening Rose, Downtown Redevelopment, Summerchase are all examples of new neighborhoods for those unable to find something suitable in Tallahassee's already more established neighborhoods. They may not all offer Golf Courses, elaborate landscaping and gated entry, but are more than suitable for anyone working for or doing business with our State Government. Not to mention much safer than what you'd probably find anywhere else in the state.

I think I failed to mention the many of the amenities (professional sports teams, amusement parks) you referenced above because I don't think those in government should have to compete with the distractions of professional sports, and theme parks. I mentioned in my first post, we're not here to vacation as a strength. If you think efficiency in State Government is a problem, try plopping down a Pro-sports team in the middle of town and see how many of us are rested/focused enough to get back to business the next morning. A capital city is not a vacation destination or a fun station, it is a place to do business. We get into trouble when we find out our elected officials spent more time on the Golf Course or at the Nudey Bar than he or she did in debate. Currently, the effects of the special interest are minimized in our policy making which I can assure most people would prefer.

I'm glad I have these thick glasses over my eyes to help me in my cheer leading.

Paragraph 1:

Im not saying government should relocate near a single industry. Im saying that much of Florida's economic engine is south of Gainesville. And you're talking about South Florida, one of the most corrupt areas in the nation. I would never want the Capital to move there. Businesses dont just cooperate when they want handouts, they cooperate when government offers to decrease process, increase incentives to provide jobs, and basically stay out of there way.

Paragraph 2:

It wouldnt "pander" to the wealthy crowds (even though I know they've been labeled as the anti-christ here), but it would provide places for them to spend there extra income, true. Believe it or not, it is possible to make good money in government. But Im not talking about those who require the services of our government, Im talking about those who provide those services. You did mention some nice neighborhoods, although I would argue there is little in downtown, with the new condo buildings sitting empty. Again, these places being suitable to those who work in government and do business with them is your opinion. Can you provide statistics showing that these neighborhoods are much safer than those I'd find elsewhere in the state?

Paragraph 3:

Huh? What are you talking about? It has nothing at all to do with providing "distractions" to those who work in government. Its something for them to do outside of work after hours or on the weekends with their families. That didnt make sense at all.

You missed the point ENTIRELY on efficiency. Im talking in terms of how the state spends ITS money. Not how those who work for the state spend there own earned money.

So let me see if I follow your point. You said "A capital city is not a vacation destination or a fun station, it is a place to do business." Ok? So why do we need the Tallahassee Titans? Or a minor league ball team that you've talked about? Or Turkey Trots or Jingle Bell Runs? Why would we want a PAC? I think of fun when I think of those things, but according to you, we dont need those anymore. Will you know speak out against them?

I think one of your earlier points was that Government should be where most of the industry is, thus not in Tallahassee. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one could read back and find where this was written, unless it was edited as sometimes is the case. South Florida is now corrupt, yet you would have the state government move closer to it to satisfy your once held desire of having the state government seated near most of its industry??

Most of us in government do not make good money and thus do not require the higher-end restaurants and stores we so long for here on UrbanPlanet. It is one thing to want, it is another to need. As a Capital City, it is not a bad thing to not have many of the things we discuss here, it is just a good thing when we do.

I think Paragraph 3 was the clearest of them all to understand. We offer most of what one would need in order to entertain family and friends after work. More is coming, more is desired, but my point is that it is not essential to the function of a Capital City to have those things you mentioned. I'm not saying we should be void of fun and games, I'm saying those things are not amenities required of a Capital city. Efficiency refers to not only spending of our dollars, but the time and manner in which business is conducted. Without the distractions from the outside, it is easier for most of us state employees to focus on the task at hand, thereby contributing to the efficiency of our employer's money and time. Very clear point.

This might not be true but I heard many many years ago that if there ever was some sort of disaster (Cold War Thinking Here) and the capital/government was no longer able to function, it would be moved to another city, namely Gainesville. Its more center of the state and not that far of a move from Tally to get there.

Funny how things revert back to Football in this town. The FSU vs UF rivalery continues. LOL

Just my opinion but if Tally was to get all of its things on its whish list (Capital Circle complete, Performing Arts Center, cheap airlines, maybe a corporate headquarters or two downtown, etc, etc, etc) and plus about 100,000 in Tally/Leon County. This would be one of the best places to live in Florida.

Lets look at other possible places that could even be considered for the State of Florida capital.

Pensacola - Closer to New Orleans that the rest of Florida. Also look what happened to them in the last series of hurricanes.

Panama City - Same goes here for the hurricanes.

Jacksonville - Hmm might work.

Gainesville - Almost a carbon copy of Tally. University town and inland city. Cheaper to by land for locating the governement there than some other places in the state.

Ocala - The Villages and there like are going to take over that place.

Orlando - Well they already have disney what else do they need.

Tampa Bay Area - Possibilites here too, well maybe.

Sarasota down to Naples - Hurricanes and the real estate costs are through the roof even with the slowdown.

Miami and the rest of South Florida - Well it might as well be its own state. Its completely different than the rest of the state. Almost another country for that matter.

Ok the discussion has been fueled some more. Enjoy.... :whistling:

On come on TD, everything? GG does make some good points about reasons for the move. So I ask you, are you sure you disagree w/what he's saying or is it just pride in your place of residence that is clouding your impartial judgement? And there's nothing wrong w/the latter just as long as you acknowledge it.

Case in Point, I'd argue against Tally being the Capitol if I'd never lived here, but now that I have, I think it's the perfect place for it and hope it never ever moves and would probably fight for it not to.

Why is everyone attacking me now? poonther especially you, im allowed to disagree with what GG posts without catching flack from you about it.

I feel like people are being less helpful and more disrespectful of late....

I dont try to purposefully hurt any one else's opinion...

Please keep this in mind with your responses, its not just you either poonther, GG and Florida are usually at eachothers throats

Why is everyone attacking me now? poonther especially you, im allowed to disagree with what GG posts without catching flack from you about it.

I feel like people are being less helpful and more disrespectful of late....

I dont try to purposefully hurt any one else's opinion...

Please keep this in mind with your responses, its not just you either poonther, GG and Florida are usually at eachothers throats

Archived