Park downtown - FREE (or at least cheap)

Talking Up GR

My apologies if this is a duplicate post...

Anyone seen the coupon on downtowngr.org? Between now and 12/31, you can get 60 minutes of free parking at any of four downtown ramps: Louis Campau, Ottawa/Fulton, Pearl/Ionia, or Monroe Center. The same coupon is also good for $2 off the event rate.

I just learned about this, and started printing... :whistling:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My apologies if this is a duplicate post...

Anyone seen the coupon on downtowngr.org? Between now and 12/31, you can get 60 minutes of free parking at any of four downtown ramps: Louis Campau, Ottawa/Fulton, Pearl/Ionia, or Monroe Center. The same coupon is also good for $2 off the event rate.

I just learned about this, and started printing... :whistling:

This is all well and good but what about areas where there are no ramps? I.e. the other night I met friends at One Trick Pony and literally drove around for 15 minutes trying to find a parking spot.. . . . . rather frustrating to try and support downtown locally owned business when you can't find anywhere to park! A couple of friends gave up on their driving in circles and parked in no parking zones . . . .I hate going downtown for that very reason . . . .

This is all well and good but what about areas where there are no ramps? I.e. the other night I met friends at One Trick Pony and literally drove around for 15 minutes trying to find a parking spot.. . . . . rather frustrating to try and support downtown locally owned business when you can't find anywhere to park! A couple of friends gave up on their driving in circles and parked in no parking zones . . . .I hate going downtown for that very reason . . . .

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious, what "circles" were they driving around in for 15 minutes? Did they try anywhere South of there along Weston, LaGrave, Sheldon or Jefferson? I can always find a spot in those areas. Plus, there are a couple of churches in that area that probably would not have known or cared if you parked there on a weekday evening. :dontknow:

I have never had a problem finding a parking spot downtown, but I usually know where I am at all times and pretty much know how far of a walk it is to my destination. But the city just cannot provide "front door" parking for each and every business downtown. It's literally impossible.

#1 question I get from our guests is "Where do I park?", so I show them the brand new ramp right across the street, to which they reply "Don't you have your own parking lot?". Nobody wants to pay to park or walk more than a block, a stubborn quirk that people are going to have to shed if they want to visit downtown for anything.

If every business had their own personal parking lot downtown there would be no room for the businesses :ermm:

#1 question I get from our guests is "Where do I park?", so I show them the brand new ramp right across the street, to which they reply "Don't you have your own parking lot?". Nobody wants to pay to park or walk more than a block, a stubborn quirk that people are going to have to shed if they want to visit downtown for anything.

If every business had their own personal parking lot downtown there would be no room for the businesses :ermm:

Archived