IN PROGRESS: Coltsville Nat'l Park/Colt Gateway

MadVlad

So, I'm currently sitting in the Colt Gateway leasing office, looking west out over Colt Park, Hartford Hospital, Park Place Towers, and downtown. Why is this area not a premiere neighborhood? AS I look down there the older, run-down tenements that used to house the Colt workers. According to these guys, they are privately owned condos. But they look like crap. This could seriously be the best neighborhood in the city if certain things went right. This development, when done, should be great, I'mhoping them the utmost success. I feel this is important for this part of the city. But there should be a lot more here. The parking lot across the street is really creepy at night. With a parking garage there with apartmentsd above it, this would really bond the neighborhood here, I'm assuming there's no plan for that spot, but I'll ask before I leave. What do you guys think?

Edited by MadVlad

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some great buildings out there.

I think Dutch Points hurts the area, and the shelters.

Well, Dutch Point proper is pretty much gone. There's still the ghetto apartments between Wawarme and Curcombe St, and these ugly condos that I'm sitting next to...

edit: I'll amend that, there are still the projects on Van Block Ave, which is right here...

The Coltsville neighborhood and Charter Oak Avenue used to primarily house Hartford's Polish community. I agree with the argument that Dutch Point probably caused the neighborhood's postwar decline. I also think Coltsville suffered from being somewhat isolated from the rest of the city. You have the Whitehead Highway to its north, I-91 to its east, and the quasi-industrial wasteland to the south (below Wawarme Avenue).

With that said, I also think it is has tremendous potential to improve over time -- especially if the Park River is unearthed in the future.

This neighborhood needs better connectivity and more density. As it stands now, it seems too disjointed to me. Way too many surface parking lots and office park style buildings with big lawns. The shelters and projects certainly don't help things.

That being said, the potential is huge. The area across the street from the Colt Factory needs to be developed. Too much unpaved surface parking. The buildings from the Capewell Nail Factory down to the Colt Factory are all historic. And the neighborhood also includes the Church of the Good Shepherd. The area south of the Colt building is a literal dump that needs to be bulldozed. Dillon Stadium needs a cleaning up as well.

Edited by Luca Brasi

I also think Coltsville suffered from being somewhat isolated from the rest of the city. You have the Whitehead Highway to its north, I-91 to its east, and the quasi-industrial wasteland to the south (below Wawarme Avenue).

This neighborhood needs better connectivity and more density. As it stands now, it seems too disjointed to me.

Coltsville is in a remote corner of the city. I say connect Charter Oak Avenue with East River Drive / Silver Lane.

• 1 month later...

I'm really surprised about Colt Gateway. i think i remmeber seeing something that the apts would rent for like 1100 starting for a studio. Wow!!! I think the area could be nicer. There is talks of riverfront recapture connecting the area to their riverwalk. I think that would be awesome if you worked in teh Phoenix and could ride a bike along the river to work. Also, seems they are putting in some bike lanes in that area.

Sorry, but there's just no getting past the BIG F***ING UGLY INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 25 FEET AWAY!!! Either bury 91, or orient everything in the development to the west, i.e. facing away from the highway.

It will never be buried. However, someday hopefully it will be re-routed way outside the city centre. :D

what about 84? I think it would be SO easy to bury the portion from the tunnel to Aylum avenue exit.

It would seem to be one of the easier sections to bury and would provide developable parcels above for a new connection to North of Downtown. I'd love to see that happen.

It would seem to be one of the easier sections to bury and would provide developable parcels above for a new connection to North of Downtown. I'd love to see that happen.

I guess the only question to answer would be where would the money come from to pay for it?

what about 84? I think it would be SO easy to bury the portion from the tunnel to Aylum avenue exit.

I guess the only question to answer would be where would the money come from to pay for it?

How does Providence do it?

Edited by Bill Mocarsky

• 11 months later...

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-ctcol...0,2597373.story

More info about the financial hurdles facing the Colt gateway.

I really hope this gets worked out. I think the developers are in this for the right reasons, and doing this the correct way, and even though I think they are asking a little too much of the state, it does seem as though the developer is in some way a victim for a failing lender. stalled work is lost money and makes it that much harder for this to succeed. I hope the city/state do a little to help them out as they continue to fight thru this.

basically I just want to see this property become all that it could be. and it 10 years hopefully no longer have RT 91 in front of it, just a riverfront Blvd and park.

<a href="http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-ctcolt1030.artoct30,0,2597373.story" target="_blank">http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-ctcol...0,2597373.story</a>

I really hope this gets worked out. I think the developers are in this for the right reasons, and doing this the correct way, and even though I think they are asking a little too much of the state, it does seem as though the developer is in some way a victim for a failing lender. stalled work is lost money and makes it that much harder for this to succeed. I hope the city/state do a little to help them out as they continue to fight thru this.

basically I just want to see this property become all that it could be. and it 10 years hopefully no longer have RT 91 in front of it, just a riverfront Blvd and park.

I say if the state is committed to fight for National Park designation for Coltsville, then the state should be willing to pay for upgrades that will enhance that possibility. The success of that neighborhood and the surrounding environment largely hinges on a successful Coltsville development as the anchor. In the long run it will be worth it to make sure this thing comes out as spectacular as possible.

<a href="http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-ctcolt1030.artoct30,0,2597373.story" target="_blank">http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-ctcol...0,2597373.story</a>

I hope it all gets worked out soon.

• 1 month later...

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/topnews...hc_tab01_layout

This is great news as it should help fire up a few lagging projects and could lead to the burying of I91 through Downtown!

I will say that it is most important that this happened for the purpose of the redevelopment project, because that is real and tangible. But if this also leads to the whole park becoming a national historical park as the plan goes this could be very good news. I suspect the burying of I 91 would gain momentum quite quickly. I also thing the entire area might actually se a rebirth.

I am an optimist however :)

Edited by The Voice of Reason

It would be fantastic if Colt sponsored a gun and manufacturing museum at Colt National Park. I believe the biggest collection of Colt firearms is owned by the CT Historical Society and I believe Colt has a sizeable collection as well. Both should make it happen.

I've always thought a history of CT museum would be perfect for the Colt complex, something like Lowell MA did with its old factories.

Edited by Chessplayer

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/topnews...hc_tab01_layout

This is great news as it should help fire up a few lagging projects and could lead to the burying of I91 through Downtown!

I will say that it is most important that this happened for the purpose of the redevelopment project, because that is real and tangible. But if this also leads to the whole park becoming a national historical park as the plan goes this could be very good news. I suspect the burying of I 91 would gain momentum quite quickly. I also thing the entire area might actually se a rebirth.

I am an optimist however :)

This is good news indeed.