IN PROGRESS: Coltsville Nat'l Park/Colt Gateway

MadVlad

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was more coverage in the HC today. pictures, some Audio from the Gov. all good press for the "Insurance (and firearm) City".

I would also like to chime in that Hartford should have a CT gun museum. and if at all possible possibly include some stuff from our defence contractors as well. If a large enough scale could be reached you could imagine some submarine exibts, Helicoptor Exibits, Colts Guns, a F-35 Joint Strike Fighter from Pratt and Whitny etc.

HAHAHAHA. I love how the developer continues to put a spin on a doomed project. I'm not saying the building should be leveled, but it stands to reason if there were demand for the space, there would be no issues getting it renovated and leased. Demand would allow the developer to raise their lease rates to cover the renovations instead of scraping to get financing for a project that has rather minimal demand for it's space once completed.

HAHAHAHA. I love how the developer continues to put a spin on a doomed project. I'm not saying the building should be leveled, but it stands to reason if there were demand for the space, there would be no issues getting it renovated and leased. Demand would allow the developer to raise their lease rates to cover the renovations instead of scraping to get financing for a project that has rather minimal demand for it's space once completed.

It's demand for the commercial space.... I checked into the residential and there is nothing available...

Demand for everything in Hartford must be created through a cumulative process of revitalization all across the city and hopefully there will be a tangible tipping point where it goes from being a hard sell to selling itself. It seems like some here want the city to pack it up and give up. It's not possible nor does it make sense for the city to think like that.

Agreed HT,

Its simular to comments about front street being mostly eateries and entertainment venues, and not retail. At this point we take what we can get. the more of anything that there is downtown the better downtown is. and at some point, like HT said there will be a tipping point, and a mad dash to open retail downtown will kick off as new housing starts will skyrocket.

Has anyone taken a close look at Macfarlane and Homes For America's Holdings? Except for a succesful project in Florida, over 5 years ago, EVERY residential or commercial project they have done from Florida to Texas to New York to Connecticut has failed miserably - and that was in unbelievably good market conditions! They could only get financing under horrible terms from a lender (USA Capital -think Colonial Realty) that is now in bankruptcy and whose relationship with HFAH is under investigation by the FBI. In Connecticut, they recently walked away from the Windham Mills project, leaving it deeper in debt and with some questionable transactions. Meanwhile the Courant looks the other way, as they have been Macfarlane's biggest cheerleader and don't want to look bad and the Governor, CT & Hartford politicians are about to give these guys close to $10 million of taxpayer dollars! They are considering moving State Offices into the facility at worse terms and significant expense to shore up the project. Take a look at what the history of doing that in Hartford has cost CT Taxpayers. Welcome to Connecticut and Hartford Standard Operating Procedure!

Has anyone taken a close look at Macfarlane and Homes For America's Holdings? Except for a succesful project in Florida, over 5 years ago, EVERY residential or commercial project they have done from Florida to Texas to New York to Connecticut has failed miserably - and that was in unbelievably good market conditions! They could only get financing under horrible terms from a lender (USA Capital -think Colonial Realty) that is now in bankruptcy and whose relationship with HFAH is under investigation by the FBI. In Connecticut, they recently walked away from the Windham Mills project, leaving it deeper in debt and with some questionable transactions. Meanwhile the Courant looks the other way, as they have been Macfarlane's biggest cheerleader and don't want to look bad and the Governor, CT & Hartford politicians are about to give these guys close to $10 million of taxpayer dollars! They are considering moving State Offices into the facility at worse terms and significant expense to shore up the project. Take a look at what the history of doing that in Hartford has cost CT Taxpayers. Welcome to Connecticut and Hartford Standard Operating Procedure!

I think the tendancy is to hope for the best regarding a project like this. They may be sketchy, but they seem to be doing something right. They pushed this thru Washington. That's gotta count for something. I really hope this project works out in the end, and I hope we get a National park out of the deal, and I honestly don't care how much money a company makes as long as they deliver on the project. Now I will say that before this national recognition, I was getting concerned about the viability of the project, but it seems as though they were making some progress if not with hammer and nail but with red tape. Now I thought their funding a bit sketchy, but hopefully with the rates dropping right now there will be funding opening up all overr the place, and they can get the next phase underway. If the staste moves offfices in order to help a project I dont have a problem with that. I think this is how the governments should help projects out. The difference in rates cant be that much, and in the long run the completed project would bring much more money into the city than the short term loss. additionally, whatever location those workers would be leaving can surely attract new tennants easier than a project that in on the downtown firnge and is anchoring the areas revitalization.

Remember if Colt works out, there will be other near by projects that will gain momentum. If the Nail factory had a near by national park condo development success story I would say that they would get all kinds of financing and interest in general. also those hotels etc... and the potential burying of 91 by the state.

yes, I am an optomist

and yes I do have some concerns, but there has been some progress here, so I will hold off judgement untill I stop seeing progress.

Do you have some links for us to look at? I am curious to see how a company stay in business if EVERY residential or commercial project they have done from Florida to Texas to New York to Connecticut has failed miserably.

V of R,what is your fascination with burying 91?Riverfront Recapture was a great success and now people want to link the city with the river,its already been done.....84 is a much more urgent project that needs to be dealt with right now.What the hell Larson was thinking when he talked about 91 I'll never know, maybe its one of those things where a congressman reaches for the earmark he thinks is most likely to be approved even though burying 91 is unnecassary.Get on the Aetna viaduct I84 project Mr.Larson,its much more important.

V of R,what is your fascination with burying 91?Riverfront Recapture was a great success and now people want to link the city with the river,its already been done.....84 is a much more urgent project that needs to be dealt with right now.What the hell Larson was thinking when he talked about 91 I'll never know, maybe its one of those things where a congressman reaches for the earmark he thinks is most likely to be approved even though burying 91 is unnecassary.Get on the Aetna viaduct I84 project Mr.Larson,its much more important.

I believe Larson's point was that he could actually get some funding for I-91 due to it blocking the Colt National Historical Park from the River. I-84 has nothing to do with Colt, so there would be no connection, and no reason, for the Feds to give money for that project.

I believe Larson's point was that he could actually get some funding for I-91 due to it blocking the Colt National Historical Park from the River. I-84 has nothing to do with Colt, so there would be no connection, and no reason, for the Feds to give money for that project.

Thats what I mean,screw Colt,infrastructure is the most important thing,I84 must be dealt with not some private and somewhat shady project like Colt.I wonder how much money is lost daily due to traffic tie-ups on 84?91 isn't perfect but gridlock in the area near the Colt building isn't nearly as bad as the main east-west thoroughfare in the Capitol region.Besides I91 is built on top of a dike and how do you deal with the Park river which empties in the Ct river half way between Colt and the CCC?

Thats what I mean,screw Colt,infrastructure is the most important thing,I84 must be dealt with not some private and somewhat shady project like Colt.I wonder how much money is lost daily due to traffic tie-ups on 84?91 isn't perfect but gridlock in the area near the Colt building isn't nearly as bad as the main east-west thoroughfare in the Capitol region.Besides I91 is built on top of a dike and how do you deal with the Park river which empties in the Ct river half way between Colt and the CCC?

Did you even read what I wrote? He's trying to get free money. Yes, of course I-84 is worse than I-91, but if someone else is willing to foot a lot of the bill, you go with the cheaper one first, I'm not seeing the problem with that, especially when the end result will still be a huge positive....

It would be nice to fix the I-84 viaduct.

But they covered over I-84 downtown and what happened? Nothing. The interstates were ill conceived but there are plenty of cities cut by interstates and it's no big deal. I-84 is NOT the problem.

No parking. Bad tax structures. Corrupt mayors. Fix those and I-84 will not be an issue.

I would not call it a fascination, but I am definately enthusiastic about the potential of such a project.

Riverfront may be a huge success, but it was also just a band aid for the larger problem. Hartford is STILL not connected to its single greatest natural resource. Additionally, most of the monies spent on riverfront re-capture would not be wasted by an I-91 Project. In fact the park space would be expanded, and the result would be a much more attractive city to LIVE IN. The park space would also be immediately SAFER, weather in reality or just perception. The current park along the river is highly disfunctional and mostly useless, and I can speak from experience as I do attend events at the riverfront. (still a massive improvement so I assure you I am not down on riverfront recapture at all). So the long and short of it is that you may think this city is connected to the riverfront, but I think it's barely just been re-introduced. I see the potential economic impact of some kind of I-84 reconfiguration as being more than an I-91 project, but I see I-91 as much easier to do, much cheaper to do, and I also like the idea of free money from the Feds, not to mention what would likely be a large State assistance to make the Capitol a better city. If this project helps re kindle the Colt gateway, as well as the capewell condos, and the capewell hotel/hotels I would be thrilled. I have no doubt the industrial and low density buildings South of the civic center would be re developed as well. So regardless of your traffic concerns and lost economic viability due to I-84s problems, I think I-91 is a much more realistic opportinity and I want to put my full support behind it.

That being said I would likely support an I-84 project if I had one to support. Its just a much larger can of worms.

This is the same thing as voting for someone who has a chance of winning an election even though they are not your ideal. Sure I could vote Liebertarian or Green or some other thing, but voting Republican or Democrat is the only sure way that your vote will count in our political system as it stands today.

Cheers

The best and most cost effective solution to I-84 in this state is re-routing it. All it takes is new signs and new exit numbers. (And I'm a strong supporter for mileage based exit posting in this state anyway.)

Do we know exactly what kind of effort it will take to cover I-91 in the Hartford area? Is this just throw something on top like the tunnel on I-84, or is this a massive construction project like the Big Dig... or what some of you want with I-84? We really don't need a Big Dig scale project in Connecticut, let's not be like our neighbors in Mass.

And about the voting, unless you vote for the guy with the D ... your vote probably didn't matter. Unless it's a local election in certain parts of the state. Statewide, federal, Hartford city ... no. The only winner I voted for in '06 was Rell.

The "big dig" brought billions of federal dollars to Mass. It is often thought of as a giant mess, but in truth it was a gravy train for state businesses.

AGREED!

I just read an article yesterday about the official completion of the dig. The article mainly focused on all of the problems and marvels associated with the project, but be sure it was a huge success. Traffic actually moves in Boston now. There have also been all kinds of projects adding to the value of Boston that embrace the new waterfront and greenbelt. New buildings and a larger tax base.

I would be thrilled if Hartford could get a mini big dig project much like Providence has.

These are the kinds of projects that completely change how a city is perceived. Not to mention how it looks and interacts with its transit options.

If everything were done right the city would get its waterfront back, 84 would go away, and in all likelihood the city would gain another bridge across the river. While reconnecting East Hartford and Hartford via street level traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to fix the I-84 viaduct.

But they covered over I-84 downtown and what happened? Nothing. The interstates were ill conceived but there are plenty of cities cut by interstates and it's no big deal. I-84 is NOT the problem.

No parking. Bad tax structures. Corrupt mayors. Fix those and I-84 will not be an issue.

Beerbeer, Why would you compare the downtown canyon to the viaduct?

This is how I see it.

The canyon

The void between downtown and the neighborhoods to the north is not the canyon. In fact, the downtown street grid is not even interrupted. The real void is the several blocks of surface parking lots north of the canyon. This is the edge of downtown waiting for a Future wave of development.

I can think of 2 reasons why the cover over the canyon has very little impact.

1.) There is nothing on the other side but several blocks of vacant lots.

2.) The plaza itself is dysfunctional. It doesn't serve (and isn't needed) to facilitate movement across the highway.

The viaduct

The urban fabric is interrupted by the raised segment of I-84 west of downtown. There are important assets on both sides of the viaduct.

In short

The canyon Street grid is intact. Edge of nowhere.

The viaduct Street grid interrupted. Generators on both sides.

Speaking of the viaduct, I heard through the grapevine that the DOT may be willing to consider alternatives.

Bill,

The I-84 viaduct cuts Asylum Ave at a natural boundary, a steep hill, between downtown and the Asylum Hill business park. It doesn't really cut anything off, it just reinforces the topography. Even if I-84 didn't exist, I think downtown would end at the train station and the Asylum Hill office park (Aetna, the Hartford, the Archdioses, etc) would still have the same character.

The Viaduct cuts Park Avenue at another natural boundary, Pope Park, the natural valley for the Park River and an artificial boundary, the rail line.

None of these should be impediments to the natural flow of the city. I-84 hasn't really interrupted any growth. There is plenty of room in the existing neighborhoods. The viaduct just reinforces the boundaries of natural neighborhoods.

The city's true problems reside at city hall and in the state capital building. They have taxed the city to the brink of extinction. The highways are eye sores. But the real problem was the DOT killing the Griffin Line, which would have reduced the need for surface lots and began the process of bringing true public transportation to the city. Removing the viaduct (which would be great) accomplishes nothing without fixing the real problems.

Edited by beerbeer