IN PROGRESS: Coltsville Nat'l Park/Colt Gateway

MadVlad

The I-84 viaduct cuts Asylum Ave at a natural boundary, a steep hill, between downtown and the Asylum Hill business park. It doesn't really cut anything off, it just reinforces the topography. Even if I-84 didn't exist, I think downtown would end at the train station and the Asylum Hill office park (Aetna, the Hartford, the Archdioses, etc) would still have the same character.

It reinforces the topography in a negative way

The Viaduct cuts Park Avenue at another natural boundary, Pope Park, the natural valley for the Park River and an artificial boundary, the rail line.

None of these should be impediments to the natural flow of the city. I-84 hasn't really interrupted any growth. There is plenty of room in the existing neighborhoods. The viaduct just reinforces the boundaries of natural neighborhoods.

I guess the same could be said about I-91 being situated at a natural boundary.

The city's true problems reside at city hall and in the state capital building. They have taxed the city to the brink of extinction.

That is another issue.

Edited by Bill Mocarsky

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true about I-91. Unless they put it in the river. Cutting the city off from the river was a huge mistake. Access to the river truly enhances the quality of life of the city.

If the state had the billion bucks to get rid of I-84, it would be better spent on the Griffin Line and substituting rail for the busway.

Edited by beerbeer

Bill,

The I-84 viaduct cuts Asylum Ave at a natural boundary, a steep hill, between downtown and the Asylum Hill business park. It doesn't really cut anything off, it just reinforces the topography. Even if I-84 didn't exist, I think downtown would end at the train station and the Asylum Hill office park (Aetna, the Hartford, the Archdioses, etc) would still have the same character.

If you get the chance, check out some cities with some topographic changes that actually enhance the landscape. Some major cities not too far from Hartford that have some good examples are Boston and Montreal.

In Montreal, McGill University is nestled on a slope between downtown and Mont Royal.

In Boston, check out the Boston Common and Beacon Hill transition.

Other nearby examples can be found in White Plains, Quebec City, Portland.

• 3 months later...

There have been a couple of articles in the Courant about this project in the past week. Apparently the developer wants $9.5 million from the state to start the project back up. The state in turn has said that they aren't necessarily opposed to putting more money into the project, but they want the developer to get his finances straight first.

Here is the first article:

http://www.courant.com/community/news/hfd/...0,3446117.story

And here is an editorial from today's paper

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editor...0,5840115.story

My take on this is that the state should help out the developer. I know that they have had a lot of money issues, but their work has been top notch. As a big preservationist, I've been really impressed with the attention to detail in the work that has been done so far. I realize that authentic restoration is necessary to qualify for all the preservation tax credits, but that hasn't stopped developers from doing a hack job with other historic structures (Sage-Allen anyone?). Given that this is a critical time for the project in terms of the National Park status, I really think the state and or city need to be more proactive in getting this project moving forward.

By the way, as an on going development, shouldn't this thread have a sticky?

By the way, as an on going development, shouldn't this thread have a sticky?

There seems to me like a lot of stickies already in the Hartford section.

Anyway... doesn't seem like a huge number for the state to pick up. As long things are all straightened out, should be good for Hartford.

Edited by Lowerdeck

There seems to me like a lot of stickies already in the Hartford section.

Anyway... doesn't seem like a huge number for the state to pick up. As long things are all straightened out, should be good for Hartford.

Maybe we should put some of the completed projects into a new completed forum. or maybe just a forum for projects only?

but on the topic I agree this one we can throw away some money on. The developer may not have delivered on promises, but they have not done anything shady. they seem to be suffering from the econemys faltering than anything else, and even still they are fighting for the park and historic status.

I think that the state should offer to lease all of the office space and help them out that way. if that would happen it would help the project significntly, and the tax payers would still be getting something for their money. the state has workers in offices all over the place.

Hell if not the state, the city could lease all of the office space.

My half baked proposal:

City/State should both evaluate their current leases and arange to move as many workers to colt as possible. Colt would cut the state a slight brake on the lease in order to have valuable leases signed.

These leases would improve the credit worthiness of the project.

Webster bank would be used to re-finance in some kind of sweetheart deal like they work when the state/city are behind the project.

Homes for America Holdings uses the loan to push the project forward and get the 10M state grant they are needing right now.

As people move into the offices over the next 2 years due to the above deal, the residential units will begin to lease out and even a few retail spots open due to the increased usefullness of the site.

This should put the project into safe zone and really the only change is that the city/state hand money in the form of a lease to a developer rather than a cronie.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

My half baked proposal:

City/State should both evaluate their current leases and arange to move as many workers to colt as possible. Colt would cut the state a slight brake on the lease in order to have valuable leases signed.

These leases would improve the credit worthiness of the project.

Webster bank would be used to re-finance in some kind of sweetheart deal like they work when the state/city are behind the project.

Homes for America Holdings uses the loan to push the project forward and get the 10M state grant they are needing right now.

As people move into the offices over the next 2 years due to the above deal, the residential units will begin to lease out and even a few retail spots open due to the increased usefullness of the site.

This should put the project into safe zone and really the only change is that the city/state hand money in the form of a lease to a developer rather than a cronie.

Why should the city and state government show such favoritism? Using your logic, then the state and city should have evaluate their food service and event contracts and give as many to Joe Black and other failing eateries as possible. As of this fall, over a third of City Place II will be vacated by Met Life, whose workers are we going move there to save Larry G? It just doesn't work this way. State and city contracts should be put out to bid in the most transparent fashion so the tax payers get their money's worth.

Why should the city and state government show such favoritism? Using your logic, then the state and city should have evaluate their food service and event contracts and give as many to Joe Black and other failing eateries as possible. As of this fall, over a third of City Place II will be vacated by Met Life, whose workers are we going move there to save Larry G? It just doesn't work this way. State and city contracts should be put out to bid in the most transparent fashion so the tax payers get their money's worth.

Hey man I said it was half baked. :)

I agree with transparency but I guess the better may to do what I came up with while typing would be more like this. If there are state or city leases for space up for bid, it would be best for all parties if a worthy project could win the bid by lowering their expected rates. I agree that if this was all done in the dark there would a huge opportunity for graft, and what is deemed a worthy project is a huge gray area.

But I would say that Colt leasing to the state is for the sole purpose of pushing a residential and important historic project along. This would also be a way of ensuring the safety of the $10M grant. It would not be a way to help out an existing office buildings bottom line. This would be a kind of band aid to save a development, and a way to not invest any additional funds, but to still save the significant outside investment and the financing associated wit it.

I guess the potential gains out way the favoritism. Larry G might not like it, but I am sure that if he ever develops an office building the City and State would be leasing space from it. After all, this is essentially the same as the way the city and he arranged the movement of the YMCA into his heavily subsidized Arena Facade project. The pre arranged lease helped secure funding to complete a worthy project that has helped bring notice and residents to the city.

Again this is half baked, but since none of us make any decisions on a city or sate level it is irrelevant.

• 2 months later...

Well, they got it today..... not sure how much good it'll do development-wise considering that putz of a deadbeat developer they're stuck dealing with.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. I think that they are working on a difficult development and have made very good progress thus far. They have residential and corporate tenents who are not half bad already. They have done a lot of remmediation work already but the financing and getting a reputable lender to share their vision is challenging. Hopefully this will help remedy that and a viable solvent lender, if there are any left, can step up to the plate and develop a national park.

HUZAH

well I am glad this went through. I hope that now that they have this "piece of paper" they are able to use it to sway an investor/bank. It seems to me that there is also a good chance that they will be able to focus more squarely on getting more work done and finding financing.

Perhaps it would be better for the developer to pay for the work completed prior to "getting more work done"...

Courant Editorial:

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editor...,0,606414.story

As nice as this is, this project still has major problems. The developer can't move forward without more money, but more money is probably not forthcoming. I like the quality of the work that they've done so far, but I'm beginning to think that a new developer is going to have to take over this project for anything more to get done.

Courant Editorial:

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editor...,0,606414.story

As nice as this is, this project still has major problems. The developer can't move forward without more money, but more money is probably not forthcoming. I like the quality of the work that they've done so far, but I'm beginning to think that a new developer is going to have to take over this project for anything more to get done.

I am not so sure a new developer would be possible. These guys own the buildings do they not? There are a ton of leins on the land I think as well as refered to by T52. I think a more likely prospect would be an additional equity investor. but developers tend to be protective of their equity stake.

Here's a couple of cool sites related to Coltsville and the immediate area. The first is the National Park Service resource page, which needs to be updated, and the second is the webcam for the Sports and Medical Sciences Academy which is pretty near completion and is being build in the Coltsville area right next to Dillon Stadium. The Colt complex can be seein in the distance.

National Park Service: Coltsville

SMSA Webcam

• 2 months later...

OK, its official.

http://www.courant.com/community/news/hfd/...0,5336248.story

On Tuesday, Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne made it official, announcing that Coltsville is now officially designated a National Historic Landmark, a move that comes with tax and rehabilitation benefits and brings the site closer to becoming a National Park.

Next step appears to be national park.

but a national historis landmark status helps get a little federal funding for the facilities.

I hope that in some way this helps this project, but I hold no real hope. the good thing is that anything that does happen here needs to protect the history, so thats the good news.

• 1 month later...

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editor...0,6103370.story

A new developer, Lance J. Robbins of Urban Smart Growth, is poised to take over rehabilitation of the iconic factory complex, which has been mired in financial uncertainty. At the same time, an extensive study of the feasibility of locating a national park there is ready to be submitted to the National Park Service. This synchronicity is the spark that could spur the project's success.

This one paragraph is pretty big.

a new developer... Hell yeah.

and we knew the national park thing was progressing.

good to hear its lining up favorably.

the most comprehensive option, which would showcase the entire 260-acre district and Colt-related buildings, be staffed seven days a week and managed by the federal Park Service. It would include ranger-led tours and, most important, an interactive exhibit inside the iconic East Armory where Colt manufactured firearms. A museum that tells the story of Sam Colt and his widow, Elizabeth, who ran the factory for decades after his death, would not be complete without some public access to the building under the blue onion dome.

This option is projected to draw 200,000 visitors a year to the capital city, far more than the simpler alternatives, but it is also the most costly. Estimated capital costs would be $9.3 million for the park-related space, with annual operating support of $600,000 required from the Park Service.

On the developer

Another question is ownership of the Colt armory buildings. Mr. Robbins, a Californian, said he has the backing of Chevron Oil and a track record of successful redevelopment similar to the Colt project. He has a stake in historic buildings in seven states. For the past few years, he has been transforming a former weaving mill in Pawcatuck, R.I., into a village of offices, residences, artists and artisans. He professes passion for the potential of the Colt complex and refers to the property as historical "hallowed ground."

http://www.urbansmartgrowth.net/

his web site

It is tempting to view him as a white knight. But he describes the pending deal to take over the project from Colt Gateway as complex and not yet final. Many have failed before him. If he does eventually prevail, the national park project will rely on Mr. Robbins' willingness to cede space in the landmark East Armory.

The study will be submitted Dec. 17. A public briefing will take place Dec. 18 in Hartford at a time and place to be determined. The Park Service has up to four months to finalize the study that its regional office helped develop; then Congress must act on it. U.S. Rep. John Larson, whose district includes Hartford and who has been a dogged champion, says the study has an excellent chance of passage.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Yes, this is certainly great news. I definitely hope they are pushing for the full site plan and that this developer can get the job done and deliver a world class environment in which to house a national park. The very idea of really having a national park in Hartford is monumental. It's great that it is actually nearing closer to reality. This is an attraction that many visitors to the city will not want to miss once it is marketed properly as a national park. We may even get people coming here just for Coltsville. That is unimaginable now but could soon translate into tangible economic results.

• 2 weeks later...

Hartford Courant

Courant.com

Colt Complex

Group Seeks National Park Status For Colt Complex

The Hartford Courant

December 17, 2008

The roughly 260 acres and 10 historic buildings that make up Coltsville became a National Historic Landmark earlier this fall. Now, supporters of the Colt firearms complex want the site and its historic blue onion dome to get another designation