Thermal plant site

smeagolsfree

I thought this would be a good time to revisit this topic without the stadium of course. I have doe a little bit of research and found that SBER has still got a plan on their web site without the proposed stadium. I am a little curious to see who else jumps into this site with proposals after the first of the year. I thought this was interesting seeing there has been no media concerning this since the new council took office. Here is the plan that is currently on the SBER site. I just thought I would generate some discussion and see if I could shake the bushes a bit and let

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought this would be a good time to revisit this topic without the stadium of course. I have doe a little bit of research and found that SBER has still got a plan on their web site without the proposed stadium. I am a little curious to see who else jumps into this site with proposals after the first of the year. I thought this was interesting seeing there has been no media concerning this since the new council took office. Here is the plan that is currently on the SBER site. I just thought I would generate some discussion and see if I could shake the bushes a bit and let’s see what happens.

http://www.sber.com/downloads/Nashville_2007.pdf

One of the problems with trying to find the highest and best use for a site is that sometimes the site ends up sitting dormant for decades. I would much rather SBER get started with SOMETHING than still be debating whether or not it's the perfect plan on my 66th birthday (that's 35 years away, FYI).

I don't see anything happening on this site for a while, at least not until the economy is better. Consumer confidence is way down and people are not spending money at the moment. Gas prices are outrageous and not to mention the possible recession that's hanging over our heads due to the mortgage fallout. I've decided that I'm not exchanging gifts this year with family or friends, but to put my money aside for more important expenses i.e., gas.

I don't see anything happening on this site for a while, at least not until the economy is better. Consumer confidence is way down and people are not spending money at the moment. Gas prices are outrageous and not to mention the possible recession that's hanging over our heads due to the mortgage fallout. I've decided that I'm not exchanging gifts this year with family or friends, but to put my money aside for more important expenses i.e., gas.

Does Nashville really need more Condos? It seems there is a new one on every corner.

I would like to see this land be an open venue (Starwood reborn?) There is still the rumor the Sounds will end up with a stadium there.

What is more of a concern is the scrap yard across the river.

Does Nashville really need more Condos? It seems there is a new one on every corner.

I would like to see this land be an open venue (Starwood reborn?) There is still the rumor the Sounds will end up with a stadium there.

What is more of a concern is the scrap yard across the river.

GID i do not think an amphitheatre is a good idea for the thermal site. Sobro is a great neighborhood with a lot of great attractions, but it also has a lot of incentives for residential development. An amphitheatre site with 4 thousand screaming drunk fans does not make a great advertisement for residential development. Atlanta tried an amphitheatre in an area downtown and it failed because of the same reasons above. I say give it to the best bidder, i hope for a baseball stadium.

GID i do not think an amphitheater is a good idea for the thermal site. Sobro is a great neighborhood with a lot of great attractions, but it also has a lot of incentives for residential development. An amphitheater site with 4 thousand screaming drunk fans does not make a great advertisement for residential development. Atlanta tried an amphitheatre in an area downtown and it failed because of the same reasons above. I say give it to the best bidder, i hope for a baseball stadium.

I guess my point was that I really do not want more Condos. It seems Nashville is being overrun with Condos (how many are going up in the Gultch alone?)

There needs to be an attraction to bring folks downtown

Park/amphitheater

AAA stadium

Something

Boat slips would be a nice addition to whatever is built there.

I guess my point was that I really do not want more Condos. It seems Nashville is being overrun with Condos (how many are going up in the Gultch alone?)

There needs to be an attraction to bring folks downtown

Park/amphitheater

AAA stadium

Something

Boat slips would be a nice addition to whatever is built there.

some think Nashville is overrun, some think Nashville is behind when it comes to condos. IMO it is a chicken and egg thing where the more to attract people downtown the more demand for condos. It is hard to forsee what will happen in any market 2, 3 , 4 years from now which is why people are still building. A mixed use site with a ballpark, retail AND housing would still be a nice addition to the Thermal site.

There's something about "NEW" that automatically draws people. People love "new" things, but once the newness wears off, will a baseball stadium be the best draw of people to the thermal site. I would like to see something that every citizen will utilize like a park with restaurants, shopping, and something that takes advantage of the water front. Something like the River walk in San Antonio would be awesome.

Actually, from what I've seen of the plans for Nashville's riverfront, it looks like a Riverwalk could be essentially replicated (at least copied) along the portion that would be diverted around the stadium. As far as I could tell from the renderings, there would be buildings along both sides. However, I haven't seen any details on paths along the sides and the series of small bridges over the diverted part a'la SA's Riverwalk.

I also don't know if there would be plans to close the diverted portion at both ends to keep the water from flowing and allowing the passenger boats to flow unmolested through that area.

Nevertheless, it could be replicated as closely as anywhere. Apparently, that's not the plan tho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived